Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: if you use buldge busting kit/your method.

Banned

Question if you use buldge busting kit/your method.

Whats your method of bb'ing pistol brass? Take's a huge force on some of them. Most members do not even mess with bb kit but l like too. Needs a dang hydrolic lever. 9's can be hard to do and no fun.

Frosted Boolits

Are you lubing the brass at all?
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

I bulge bust all the 40s I find. Of the 1000 or so I've sent through the buster I've only had one occasion to break out the tools to remove crumpled brass. I do not use any lube.

Boolit Buddy

I've been handloading for over 30 years and have read several reloading manuals cover to cover and I have no idea what this conversation is about, so no, I guess I don't "BB" my brass.
    INFIDEL

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by N4AUD View Post
    I've been handloading for over 30 years and have read several reloading manuals cover to cover and I have no idea what this conversation is about, so no, I guess I don't "BB" my brass.
    Bulge busting die kit is used to iron out bulges in the lower portion of rimless cases that headspace on the mouth. Typically a Lee kit utilizes your factory crimp die with the stop and crimper removed, and pushes the case straight through the top. see it here > http://www.midwayusa.com/product/882...s-and-w-45-acp
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Banned

I stick the nine brass in die, they go all the way in 80%, then push-thru comes up then shove another up in die. Has nothin to do with mouth of brass, just lower rim and some glock buldges you've heard of, but the hard push-thru comes from thick rim at base/primer area.

Range brass from different pistols. I have a nine kit from Lee, waited couple weeks extra, it say makarov. But even some 45acp's are a SOB.

Vendor Sponsor

This conversation is about removing the bulge that results from firing a .40 S&W round in Auto Pistol.

A Bulge is generated at the junction of the feed ramp and the chamber wall as this area is not supported by the full chamber wall like a revolver chamber does. This is called an "Unsupported Chamber" and is usually blamed on Glocks, however all auto pistols of this caliber have the same issue to some degree as it is just part of the way they have to be designed to feed reliably.

This bulge, unless pushed back creates a weak area in the case which can, after repeated reloading's,,, fail.

You use a Lee Deluxe Carbide Factory Crimp Die with the crimping sleeve removed and the top left open. This essentially makes a push thru sizing die for the brass cases, and works very well in prolonging your pistol brass' life. The Lee Bulge Buster Kit is used in conjunction with the FCD and contains all of the other pieces you need to do this operation including the pusher and a plastic bottle that sits on top of the die to catch the brass as you push it thru the die.

A Full Length sizing die does not get all the way to the bottom of each case and in fact only exacerbates the problem..

THIS IS A CASE PREPARATION OPERATION ONLY !!!!!!!!!!

IT IS NOT A LOADING OPERATION !!!!!!!!!!!!

I use Dillon Case Lube on my cases as it makes shoving them thru this die much easier. I then tumble them to clean them and remove the lube. The result is virtually new looking brass to load.

I also set the die up so that the base of the case, which is the hardest part to stuff thru the die, comes into the die opening just as the press cams over. This is where the presses highest leverage is and it is a good thing as usually you are doing hundreds of these at one time, and it gets old pretty fast if it takes too much effort.

Some people do this to 9mm cases as well, I personally see no reason as there is so much 9mm brass laying around it seems counter productive to do any more than necessary to shoot it once and forget about it.

I also see no reason to do this operation to .45 ACP brass as this is a low pressure round and doesn't typically deform the cases. 9mm and .40S&W operate at twice the pressure a .45 does, and there in lies the problem.

YOU THEN MUST FL SIZE YOUR CASES AND LOAD THEM NORMALLY.

Hope this answers your questions fully. Everything you need to know about this subject is written above.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-21-2014 at 06:35 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by knobster View Post
    I bulge bust all the 40s I find. Of the 1000 or so I've sent through the buster I've only had one occasion to break out the tools to remove crumpled brass. I do not use any lube.
    l made a custom exit tube, some time brass has got bunched up in there. Takes to much leverage on 10 out of 50.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    This conversation is about removing the bulge that results from firing a .40 S&W round in Auto Pistol.

A Bulge is generated at the junction of the feed ramp and the chamber wall as this area is not supported by the full chamber wall like a revolver chamber does. This is called an "Unsupported Chamber" and is usually blamed on Glocks, however all auto pistols of this caliber have the same issue to some degree as it is just part of the way they have to be designed to feed reliably.

This bulge, unless pushed back creates a weak area in the case which can, after repeated reloading's,,, fail.

You use a Lee Deluxe Carbide Factory Crimp Die with the crimping sleeve removed and the top left open. This essentially makes a push thru sizing die for the brass cases, and works very well in prolonging your pistol brass' life. The Lee Bulge Buster Kit is used in conjunction with the FCD and contains all of the other pieces you need to do this operation including the pusher and a plastic bottle that sits on top of the die to catch the brass as you push it thru the die.

A Full Length sizing die does not get all the way to the bottom of each case and in fact only exacerbates the problem..

THIS IS A CASE PREPARATION OPERATION ONLY !!!!!!!!!!

IT IS NOT A LOADING OPERATION !!!!!!!!!!!!

I use Dillon Case Lube on my cases as it makes shoving them thru this die much easier. I then tumble them to clean them and remove the lube. The result is virtually new looking brass to load.

I also set the die up so that the base of the case, which is the hardest part to stuff thru the die, comes into the die opening just as the press cams over. This is where the presses highest leverage is and it is a good thing as usually you are doing hundreds of these at one time, and it gets old pretty fast if it takes too much effort.

Some people do this to 9mm cases as well, I personally see no reason as there is so much 9mm brass laying around it seems counter productive to do any more than necessary to shoot it once and forget about it.

I also see no reason to do this operation to .45 ACP brass as this is a low pressure round and doesn't typically deform the cases. 9mm and .40S&W operate at twice the pressure a .45 does, and there in lies the problem.

YOU THEN MUST FL SIZE YOUR CASES AND LOAD THEM NORMALLY.

Hope this answers your questions fully. Everything you need to know about this subject is written above.

Randy
    This thread is not about glock buldges. This is about the force it takes which does not come from buldge on brass but thick rim at bottom of brass/primer area.

lf you dont own and use a bb kit just leave the paste's off the thread.

Some good tips, wrb, but it still takes much force on to many. Lube or not.
    Last edited by gunoil; 12-21-2014 at 06:52 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I had a bunch of 45acp loaded that were failing to feed at aprox. 10% rate. Pushed through bb cured my problems.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian" Henry Ford

Vendor Sponsor

Whatever? You obviously know what you're looking for.

You might try shoving each case all the way thru the die. That is the way it is intended to be used,,, and you can't really expect another case to act as a pusher.

Incidentally I am the guy who told Lee that they needed to put together a kit to do this. We were already using the FCD to remove bulges. I sold pushers here that I made for several years before Lee came out with the kit,,, which I also have.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-21-2014 at 07:07 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Banned

Well l need a taller pusher, that want hurt anything. And all should check the cam over idea u gave us.

l just like prepin brass.

Randy, you should know better than to confuse them with facts...
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    9mm brass is tapered NOT straight like 40 and 45 ALSO the military has a larger rim on head and will not work
    if you want to get the bulge out on a 9mm buy a lee carbide and grind the face of the die to the carbide. it will size the brass to the rim

Vendor Sponsor

Gun Oil: The two best things you can do is lube the cases and set the die up so the press is camming over as the rim passes thru the die.

I have done thousands of these cases and there are going to be some that are harder than others. Doing what I've said minimizes the effort as much as you're going to get using this method.

Using a different type of press, like and arbor press can help but that's a complete nother way of doing it.

Magma Engineering makes a press to do just this with a auto feeder and everything.

An air cylinder on the ram of the press would be another way, but that is kind of dangerous.

Randy

Banned

Yea, no air/ or hydro! I'll do what you said. l didnt know about magma either. Thanks.
    Last edited by gunoil; 12-21-2014 at 08:01 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by wallenba View Post
    Bulge busting die kit is used to iron out bulges in the lower portion of rimless cases that headspace on the mouth. Typically a Lee kit utilizes your factory crimp die with the stop and crimper removed, and pushes the case straight through the top. see it here > http://www.midwayusa.com/product/882...s-and-w-45-acp
    OK, thanks for the explanation!
    INFIDEL

Boolit Buddy

I do both .40 and .45 and the suggestions are good ones and I intend to try the camming trick to reduce the pressure required to get some of them through. A longer handle may not hurt either.

Boolit Master
    I'm a bulge buster. Picked up 3000 pcs. of range brass for the .40 S&W and of course some of it was slightly bulged. If it's real bad I toss it. The Fiocchi was the worst, or more likely it all came from the same gun. I bolted the Lyman Spartan single stage to a 2X4 and clamped that in the Black&Decker Workmate upside down. Then I screwed the die in (stripped down Lee factory crimp die for .40 s&w) and used the push pin for the .358 sizer to ram the cases thru. Using the smaller push pin allows the brass to be inserted base first in the die, the smaller pin fits inside the .40 s&w case and made it easier to ram it thru. Trying to run the cases thru mouth first (as would be normal) seemed much harder. I quickly learned to lube the brass. Some brass simply wouldn't go. All the brass was then resized in the normal fashion when reloading. Audie....the longwinded Oldfart..

Boolit Master
    I shot thousands of rounds out of an MP40 subgun which fires from an open bolt and does bulge cases near the rim. I found a company EGW which makes undersized carbide sizing dies for 9mm, 40 cal and 45ACP. It decaps and sizes just like a regular sizing die and doesn't require any more force than the regular sizing operation. Here's their description...................A must for the serious reloader: EGW offers custom designed, carbide sizing dies that are 0.001" smaller in diameter than typical dies. Not only is it smaller in diameter, the bottom corner is radiused which sizes the case further down. This helps prevent feed failures from cases that bulged near the base during reloading- which is typical of brass fired in Glocks and other loose chambered guns. The dies are made out of carbide.
    Undersized Reloading Dies will work with a Dillon Press if they are 550, 650, or 1050. They will not work if they are squared.

Why does my die have Lee packaging?

Lee Precision, Inc manufacturers the dies to our specifications, meaning these dies are made solely for us. The Lee dies you can buy from other suppliers are not the EGW undersized dies.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway