Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4th Consecutive Generation of Service to our Nation

Boolit Master

4th Consecutive Generation of Service to our Nation

Hamish, who is a Facebook friend recently sent me a private note about a recent family event here in Indiana and said I was negligent on posting an update here.

My oldest son Daniel, who is 17 completed his High School early last week and is now enrolled in our local university as a freshman majoring in Physical Fitness and Sports Management decided he also wanted to service our nation so last week he also went down with our blessing and enlisted in the US Army Reserve.

He's going to go to basic training and then his specialized training in June and return to college next January with approximately 15 college credits worth of Army training to transfer in to his college transcript.

And this week, we are going down to talk to the ROTC office at the university to register him for his first Military Science class to prepare him to eventually become a Lieutenant in the Army in a few years.

And as the photos attached will show, I didn't let the moment slip away as I called the MEPS center commander and worked a little drug deal to allow me to swear Daniel into the service. He's now a Private in the US Army Reserve with duty at our local Reserve Center one weekend a month starting in January.
    Mom and Maternal Granddad (Vietnam Era Air Force Vet) were present for the ceremony as well.

Daniel after raising his right hand became the 4th Consecutive generation of Drake's to serve our nation. His Great-Grandfather served in the Navy in WWII, His Paternal Grandfather (my Dad) served in Korea and Vietnam with the Marines, I served in Desert Storm, Somalia as a Marine and Iraq and Afghanistan with the Army and his future is wide open.

I know others on the forum have sons and daughters serving as I type this so I kept this event on the downlow until I was called out for not sharing the news.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails swearing in.jpg   swearing in 2.jpg   swearing in 3.jpg   swearing in 4.jpg  
    Last edited by bruce drake; 12-21-2014 at 06:16 PM.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Buddy

Thank you and your family's dedicated service to our country.

Boolit Master

Some families have great traditions!

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Best of luck to him Bruce and I'm sure you're very proud. I wonder if this is becoming less of a sense of duty or if there are still many young people who will at least do a stint. My family came here before the Revolution and has had a member in the service at least in war time ever since. I do support a lottery draft because I think it's everyone's responsibility to have their name in the hat and to defend the Republic. Again....congratulations and I hope he does extremely well there.
    Last edited by shooter93; 12-21-2014 at 08:46 PM.

Boolit Master

We've served the nation since before the Revolutionary War with my first European ancestor arriving in 1680 and my native forebears of course fought with the Brits and the Americans...

But I also have a Great(x4) Uncle who fought and died at Antietam with the 2nd Maine Volunteer Cavalry and a Great (x2) Grandfather who fought in the Spanish American War. We gapped out the First World War and the Banana Wars of the 20-30's but returned to the nation's service in 1940.

The Draft was a great equalizer when properly applied. By the end of the Vietnam War, there were too many exceptions (I ain't no Senator's Son...) and it had to be scrapped.

If it ever comes back, it needs to be tacked out 100% to all men and women from 18-25 with no exceptions...But the current American citizen would never stand for an Armed Force that large and capable any more.

DJ (family nickname) will do just fine and our entire family is proud of his decision to serve as I made a point of never trying to sell them on the military as they would see it every day when I was serving. Long hours, low pay and miserable deployments away from the family but the honor of defending this great experiment in democracy from autocrats and despots.

Bruce

Boolit Master

If Confederate service in the civil war or Loyalist service in the revolution counted, we would be up to 8 or 9, depending on who is counting.

Boolit Master

technically that would be Confederate and British service

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    What a rare and wonderful thing to see, on so many levels. Thanks for sharing this family milestone with all of us Bruce!
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Moderator Emeritus

At least 1 member of the family has been in the military since Korea where I lost an uncle(before I was born). 2 of my other uncles were Air Force, my little brother was National Guard, and now 7 of my nieces and nephews are military. 2 of them are language experts so do spook stuff because they know Russian and Chinese.

Boolit Master

You've done a fine job raising your son Bruce and Hoo-Ah to him!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy

Congratulations. It is nice to see. From 1945 until I retired in 1994 either my Grandfather, my Dad or I were serving in the Army. Our fourth generation comes from my niece who is a first year cadet at West Point. My Dad graduated from West Point in 1949, it is too bad he didn't live to see Nicky put on the long gray coat.

Starbits
    "Only the weak blame parents, their race, their times, lack of good fortune, or the quirks of fate. Everyone has it within his power to say, this I am today, that I shall be tomorrow. The wish, however, must be implemented by deeds." Louis L'Amour The Walking Drum

Good for you and for him! I am a prior enlisted, commissioned officer, formerly active duty, currently Reserves (mobilized). As to family, both my brother and my sister are serving, my dad was in Vietnam, both grandfathers in WW2, great-grandfather in WW1, 3 great-great-grandfathers in the Civil War (all three were Union), one in the War of 1812, and FOURTEEN in the Revolutionary War.

That's since becoming a nation. Before that, I had a multi-great grandfather who was a Captain in the British army, and I've even traced one line back to the Battle of Hastings in 1066. I descend from the Norman conquerors, including Turold of Lincoln, who built the castle in Lincoln, England. I traced that same line back to the Viking era; William I Longsword, a Viking who conquered Normandy, was my forty-something-great-grandfather. He lived in the late 600s AD, and legend has it he descended from Rollo, the most famous Viking. There are statues of him all over the nordic countries.

So, yeah, I have a martial lineage

Boolit Master

DJ toured West Point a few years back but he decided he'd rather have a local college experience since getting our local senators to sign off on him with us returning to Indiana right before he graduated would have made it difficult for him to get in right out of HS especially as an early graduate.

I think he'll be a better officer for having served as a Private first as well. humble leaders are safer leaders than one who has not been tested before.

Besides, the majority of the officers in the Army are ROTC grads so there will not be any good or bad stigma attached to the source of his commission. And becoming a 2LT at 21 will mean he'll potentially go farther than I did in 24 years (14 commissioned, 10 enlisted)

Bruce

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Not sure if it still holds true today but at one time it was almost impossible for a MUSTANG to ever rise above Major.

That from a cousin, mustang major in the USMC with all of his records sealed.

Congratulations to your entire family for your dedication to keeping our country free.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Grand Master

Congratulations for that fine young man who is keeping up the tradition of service to our nation. Ours go's back to The Battle Of Bennington in an unbroken line and my daughter is in the Sandbox now. It is nice to see stories like this of family lines that think something is worth fighting for. Despite the Liberals and Leftest's best attempts the spirit of the sheepdogs still runs deep in our country

Thank you and your family for what all of you have done and are doing.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Bruce
    Congratulation on a job well done
    I had the chance to go to OCS but would have had to leave my guys, couldn't do that to much invested on my part. Some of us are best in the enlisted ranks were we get to see, enjoy and endure the real aspects of military service. Not saying some officers don't get to enjoy the same things but some never get out of the air conditioned space. I ran into a lot of the later and few of the former.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    DJ toured West Point a few years back but he decided he'd rather have a local college experience since getting our local senators to sign off on him with us returning to Indiana right before he graduated would have made it difficult for him to get in right out of HS especially as an early graduate.
    I wasn't trying to say West Point was better. I also toured West Point and decided to go to college and ROTC. Not that I would have made it through the selection process anyway, but college was better for me.

I think he'll be a better officer for having served as a Private first as well. humble leaders are safer leaders than one who has not been tested before.
    I agree. My Dad was enlisted for 18 months before going to West Point. When I went in his 2 pieces of advice were 1. You don't know anything, and 2. Listen to your sergeants. I met a number of know-it-all officers, but only one who really did know it ALL.

Starbits
    "Only the weak blame parents, their race, their times, lack of good fortune, or the quirks of fate. Everyone has it within his power to say, this I am today, that I shall be tomorrow. The wish, however, must be implemented by deeds." Louis L'Amour The Walking Drum

Boolit Grand Master

After being offered OCS a sergeant asked me if I was going to do it. My answer was that if you are going to lead you should first know how to be lead. NCO's are the heart and soul of our military.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Mustang officers usually have time against them when it comes to reaching ranks past Major. I was promoted to Major the same month I cleared 20 years total service. If I had been able to get the commission a few years earlier, I probably would have cleared the board for Lieutenant Colonel in my Functional Area but my body was worn down to much for me to continue.

DJ has a lot of time ahead of him to decide if he wants to make a career of it. I originally came in only for 4 and the GI Bill for college. 24 years later, the body said "you're done."

Bruce

Banned

Congrats, Bruce. Still looking good in uniform, by the way.

My oldest has been in the USMC a couple of years now and my youngest suprised us by quitting college and getting ready to join the Army recently. He never wanted anything to do with the military since I can remember, I guess a year spent with a bunch of Sociology professors changed his mind. It'll do him good.

I was two steps out the Army's door when my oldest son went to MEPS and I had a job interview in Wichita that day that kept me from going and swearing him in. Somehow, that seemed like where I needed to be, a decision I have been kicking myself for making ever since. It's good you didn't make the same mistake I did.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast