Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: >303 Brit Greek Surplus ammo from CTD

Boolit Master

>303 Brit Greek Surplus ammo from CTD

Has anyone tried the Greek surplus .303 ammo from CheaperThanDirt?

It says it is surplus, non-corrosive, boxer primed.
    Anyone have a review of it?

Love Life
    It's the bomb. Buy as much as you can afford.

Boolit Master

greek hxp has a good rep, but id try to find it elsewhere. CTD is lower than pond scum!

+1 on the pond scum! Hate their guts for their gouging when things were bad.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    The end of the cattle drive in "The Cowboys"
    Love life hit the nail on the head, but somehow, I feel dirty for ordering it from CTD.

Quote Originally Posted by sdcitizen View Post
    but somehow, I feel dirty for ordering it from CTD.
    Vote with your wallet. Purchase what you want and need from those best suited to provide it for you. Life really is that simple.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    greek hxp has a good rep, but id try to find it elsewhere. CTD is lower than pond scum!
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    +1 on the pond scum! Hate their guts for their gouging when things were bad.

Randy
    I'd be more angry about Big Brother making you purchase a product you don't want or need than to bad mouth a private company for making a buck or two. Nobody has forced you to purchase from them................yet.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    I'd be more angry about Big Brother making you purchase a product you don't want or need than to bad mouth a private company for making a buck or two. Nobody has forced you to purchase from them................yet.
    Oh I don't like that BS either, but selling Surplus Army issue AR Magazines for $99.95 is not making a buck or two. It is gouging,,, and that is only one example of their Sucko business practices when things were scarce... If you ask you will get many more from this forum and other forums as well. Every forum I frequent had people complaining about their business practice. I don't buy squat from them and never will. They even stopped sending me their catalogs which didn't even have prices in them as they were changing prices daily.

Besides they aren't all that cheap anyway.

I agree,,, you vote with your wallet, and I vote for someone else everytime.

There are too many good places to do business with that don't try to take advantage of their customers when things get a little tough. Our loyalty belongs with them, not CTD.

I watched their Company Reps walk around the SHOT Show last year getting flipped off right and left. They didn't even have a booth at that show because they knew they would just get SHIP for their gouging!

Too many people feel as I do about that outfit, and the only way they stay in business is by spending big money to sponsor the NRA shows on TV. Something I complained to LaPierre about in person. He said they were willing to pay more than anyone else to have those advertising slots. He said that they didn't have another sponsor that would pay more. So they had to take the money. And the NRA needs all eh money it can get. The only people they suck in with their advertising are those who haven't seen their gouging first hand, and Advertising does work.

Gosh,,, I wonder if they would have done better by just acting right,,, and not having to spend as much on TV Advertising ?

My .22 cents.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Greek HXP .303 Mk 7 Ball, my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    Has anyone tried the Greek surplus .303 ammo from CheaperThanDirt?

It says it is surplus, non-corrosive, boxer primed.
    Anyone have a review of it?
    Greek HXP was very popular in the UK some years ago now, however supplies appear to have dried up probably because people stock piled it and who could blame them.

It came in different year batches I shot a lot of 69 and still have the brass which reloads very well. It may be a bit more brittle than Winchester say, but as I neck size not a problem, I have batches I reloaded many times. The main reason I bought it was for use in competition as the rules stipulated factory.

Compared with my home-loads ( 174grn Mk7 Ball in front of 40grn Vit 140), I found it a bit recoily, and less accurate. I dismantled some to see what was going on HXP used a ball powder. However I know much better shots than me who used to swear by HXP although it did have a reputation for being a bit variable batch to batch.

Boxer primed and as far as I can tell non corrosive. It is considerably better brass than S&B and the bullets are copper jackets not thinly coated steel. The only real option in the UK is PPU which I also find pretty good and the brass is re-loadable.

I know nothing about this Cheaper Than Dirt company; but a word of warning never buy surplus .303 machine gun ammunition (I think it is designated with a Z) it is far too powerful for Enfield rifles. I am sure others will know more about this than I do?

Adrian

Boolit Buddy

I got in 960rds and it is good stuff, the Lewis liked it and it will be loaded down for the P14 cast loads. It was cheaper than the asking price some hxp brass I saw advertised. I hope the supply doesnt dry up before I can get some more...

Quote Originally Posted by SOFMatchstaff View Post
    I got in 960rds and it is good stuff, the Lewis liked it and it will be loaded down for the P14 cast loads. It was cheaper than the asking price some hxp brass I saw advertised. I hope the supply doesnt dry up before I can get some more...
    Hi I have to admit I know little about machine guns or there ammunition. I do remember from a number of years ago, that I was warned off using machine-gun ammo in Enfield Rifles as it can be too high pressure and wears the barrels quickly. I think the ammo referred to was High Velocity MkVIIz ball. I never tried it.

Perhaps a good topic for discussion?

In having a quick look for information I came across this webpage from New Zeland http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Know...3+British.html, fascinating stuff about the .303 with a lot of info for the hunter as well. Doesn't specifically mention HXP however.

All the best
    Adrian

Love Life
    As I said, it's the bomb. I bought 5 cases of the stuff with clips when it 1st came out. I plan to wear a barrel out on my Savage No4 MkI (no asterisk) and my dad's No4 MK 2.

Who is selling it is irrelevant to me. I like to shoot.

Boolit Master

Wicked ammo
    good brass.
    got mine 25 years ago, have 50 rounds left. Still using most of the brass.
    When its gone its gone

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Oh I don't like that BS either, but selling Surplus Army issue AR Magazines for $99.95 is not making a buck or two. It is gouging,,, and that is only one example of their Sucko business practices when things were scarce.
    I remember those mags (used mags at that) actually got up to $128.99. I won't buy from them either.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

I see American Rifleman TV has dropped them. I heard too many complaints, but I will check for sure at the SHOT Show next week.

Randy

Boolit Master
    My BIL ordered some bulk ammo from them that they had in stock. He figured as long as he was paying for shipping he threw in a 50 rd box of cheap 9mm. Couple hours later they emailed and said the bulk ammo was out of stock. He tried to cancel the order but "it was in the warehouse" and they refused to cancel the order for the remaining single box of 9mm. He called and talked to a real person. They gave him the same excuse and refused to cancel the order and continued to charge him for shipping the one box of ammo. So, he ended up with a very expensive box of cheap 9mm ammo after shipping was added. With service like that, I'll never order from them.

Love Life
    The less people that order from them leaves more goods for me.

Boolit Master
    Way back when, I bought some HXP 69 and was suprised at it's accuracy. Had about 3 50 cal ammo cans full. Now down to less than a half can. Bought the case with the chargers. All '75 dated nice and shiney. The only other 303 I shot that matched the accuracy was the south african. Now down to two boxes of that. The HXP doesn't show the rather startling bulges that the U.S. commercial stuff does. Frank

Boolit Bub
    I havent ordered from CTD since the gouging. Thats my choice. If others want to order from them, thats their choice.

I talked to Mark O'Keefe at the show and asked him about this subject. He told me that they got so many complaints from NRA members on this outfits conduct, that they did their own investigation.

His summation of the investigation was,,, and I quote,,, "They did too many bad things!" He was particularly offended by the $99.95 Surplus AR Mags! and mentioned that specifically to me.

They were also absent from the largest firearms related show of the year. Which pretty much tells the story.

I also must state that I have nothing against anyone who is buying from CTD to save a few bucks. That is their choice and I respect that.

However CTD is poison to me and I won't buy squat from them ever again.

My final .02 on this subject.

Randy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast