RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Smith MP15

Smith MP15

Anyone got one, and how do you like it. Will it shoot sub moa? Only auto loafing rifle I've ever really shot was a older mini 14 and was not impressed.

Boolit Master
    I've got two AR's. A Rock River and a DPMS. Both will shoot into an inch with the right loads (factory or handloads). My best addition to an AR was to add a Giselle(spelling) trigger to my DPMS AR. Just that change cut my average group size in half (shooting it with my 300blk Upper and subsonic cast loads). My Rock River had their two stage trigger on it already and it is sweet as well.

I don't want to ruffle any feathers, but a mini-14 almost made me swear off semi-autos and the 223/5.56 round all together. I will never purchase another mini-14. I have no desire to shoot patterns with anything other than a shotgun.

Maybe the M&P performance center model with the match barrel with do sub MOA. I would not put much stock in any of the other M&Ps doing so. Before I'd spend the coin on a M&P PC model I would go to White Oak and pick up one of their complete uppers and put it on a built lower with a better than GI trigger.(something like the Geissele G2S if you want to keep the price down) The RRA Varmint uppers are know to group well but if it were me I would go with the White Oak.

The Mini 14s are not known for their accuracy and overall are really not too impressive. Just more a farm tag along gun or along those lines.

Have to decide if you want to shoot tight groups, overall plinking or compromise with something that does both good but not the best.
    Last edited by dkf; 12-21-2014 at 01:49 AM.

Boolit Master

I have one in 5.56, it shoots fine just as any other AR. Mine is the optic ready flattop, topped with a Nikon monarch with no other mods. If you get a good price, get it, but if you find a better deal then go with that since its no better or worse than a standard AR.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

The older M&P sport with the 1/8 twist and 5R rifling that I own would when I fist owned it, barely. I changed it up from a flat top to a A2 upper receiver had barrel cut to 14.7 and flash hider pinned and welded. It'll shoot about 1.25" with irons now. I'm pretty sure the new ones have been cheaped down even further and have lesser quality barrels. Honestly, I'd look elsewhere for an inexpensive AR.

Banned
    I have one & it fits right in with the DPMS, Rock River, Bushmaster & a couple other 16-20" non match guns I have.

Would it really be less accurate then a handi rifle? (My handi 223 will shoot about moa with reloads and a El cheapo Simmons on it)

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter7 View Post
    The older M&P sport with the 1/8 twist and 5R rifling that I own would when I fist owned it, barely. I changed it up from a flat top to a A2 upper receiver had barrel cut to 14.7 and flash hider pinned and welded. It'll shoot about 1.25" with irons now. I'm pretty sure the new ones have been cheaped down even further and have lesser quality barrels. Honestly, I'd look elsewhere for an inexpensive AR.
    So didn't your rifle have a gain twist barrel - so you changed it from 1:8 to something like 1:10 or 1:11 so it would only like short bullets like 50 grainer's? What bullet weight are you using?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

If it was a gain twist, and he cut it off, that would definitely change the twist rate. Isn't 14.7 a little short?

Boolit Master

just do your research before buying. so many options and brands available. a good AR will easily do under an inch.

Boolit Master
    I have seen the best accuracy out of RRA. Me and my smith have the predator pursuit and both are sub 1/2 moa guns. Now it could be just we both got lucky but every other common brand I have shot has not been anywhere close. I did install a jewell in mine and would do it again in a heartbeat. I have never shot it hot and am anal about maitenence. Had it for nearly a decade and it still runs with some of my best bolt guns.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    If it was a gain twist, and he cut it off, that would definitely change the twist rate. Isn't 14.7 a little short?
    Pinned and welded flash hider brings it to legal 16" length since flash hider is permanent fixture of the barrel. Makes it about as handy as a iron site rifle can be, weighs 6lbs, holds 30rds, adjustable sights, adjustable stock and dual apertures. KISS principle was the idea, all a man needs and nothing extra(well except 30cal power).

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    So didn't your rifle have a gain twist barrel - so you changed it from 1:8 to something like 1:10 or 1:11 so it would only like short bullets like 50 grainer's? What bullet weight are you using?
    First I heard of the gain twist , but supposedly, yes. Seems to be a non issue at this point, and not really sure where that leaves it twist wise. 90% of what this rifle has seen is LC M193, which so far has printed a consistent 1.25" group from bags on a a picnic table. Then again, this isn't a rifle I sit around and try to shoot groups with all the time. I have shot and tested loads in the 65grn weight, they seem to stabilize fine out to 200. For now it stays in ready mode with a mag of Winchester PDX bonded. It has never seen cast and never will.

Boolit Master
    You need to be more specific. Ammo is the key factor. Its hard to expect stellar results with bulk FMJ. You go buying something match grade and will get better results.

We got pretty good groups out of worn out M-16s on parris island using M855. But sub moa may be a bit to ask out of an economy rifle.

I don't buy ammo. if I had a Ar, it would see mostly hand swag ed jacketed with a load worked to the rifle, just like all my other guns get with the bullet of choice per firearm.

Boolit Master
    I had one of the S&W MP15 optics ready carbines that I bought shortly before all the craziness. The LGS had the price marked at $799.00, and S&W had a $100.00 rebate offer going on then, so I had to buy it. I thought that it was as good as any other of the lower priced ARs around then, and definitely better than some. Once all the craziness happened, I sold it for a LOT more than I paid for it. I would buy another.

Dave

Boolit Grand Master

I've had a S&W for several years, paid way more than they're going for now but also quite a bit less than they demanded a few years ago. It works well enough but all I shoot in it is PMC ammo, stuff works too good (and cheap) for me to bother loading for it. I'll invest my reloading and casting time in more worthwhile projects, my black gun is simply social equipment and not good for much else, IMHO.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    My son has one he uses as a patrol rifle. In close to 1,000 rounds it's never malfunctioned. Can't say as to accuracy you're looking for. His have all been in the vitals of a silhouette target. He shot 30 out of 30 each time after qualifying with it 3 times.

Boolit Mold
    I had the M&P 15 sport. I still have the barrel, bolt and lower, but everything else went as I made upgrades.

With the trigger swapped for a timney (first mod) and a 3-9 leupold, it put 3 into 1/4 of an inch. 77gr Buffalo Bore Sniper ammo was what I used. Also likes the 62gr M855 federals. It shots sub MOA no problem with ammo it likes. M193 was ~1.5 moa

I want to buy another M&P15 and not mess with it. Very accurate and reliable. Look for the 1/8 twist barrels.
    Last edited by calshipbuilder; 12-30-2014 at 05:38 PM.