RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Need 30 Soup can plain base design

Boolit Man

Need 30 Soup can plain base design

I would like to design a plain base version of the Lee .309-113F soup can bullet. I did a search and found no design like this. Would a mico lube groove design be favorable. This bullet would be shot at speeds of 1000 to 1400 fps.

Can someone help me out?

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    I really don't think you can improve it. It is a very well balanced boolit. Take the identical design and just replace the check shank with a full band, leaving a created lube groove (just like the existing grooves). Lee could modify their existing program to do this without a new boolit charge in my most humble opinion. ... felix
    felix

7-30 Waters,
    For a mold currently in production, I would suggest the RCBS 98.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...149&t=11082005
    Bullets from my mold weigh 100 grs. In w.w.+2% tin alloy. The only thing is that they cast a bullet that is .314-.315" in diameter. I lube the bullets in a .314" die then run them nose first through a .311" dia. Lee push through die.

This bullet has proven to be very accurate in my .30-30's.

If you want a bullet that is closer to the ideal .310-.311"" diameter from the mold, I would suggest the Lee 100 gr. RN.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...255&t=11082005

The other option would be to buy the Lee soup can mold and have a machinist face off the back of the mold to eliminate the gas check shank, or bore out the gas check shank bullet diameter.

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the input. I'll way both options and see. Maybe Lee can modify the 309-113F for me without a charge. Can't hurt to ask.

Can anyone recommend a contact at Lee Precision for discussing bullet moulds?

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Yeah, it won't even be a program change, and emphasize that when you talk. Tell them to extend the code they ALREADY have to send in a cutter to take off the extra metal, leaving a small depression which would be equal to a lube groove length. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Grand Master

You could get the Lee and ream out the GC or have someone do it for you!
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Man
    Called Lee Precision today. I couldn't get any further than the lady who answers the phone. She wouldn't let me talk to the boys in the mould department. Said this was considered a custom set up, blah blah blah. Not to sure I like Lee's customer service.

Super Moderator

............If they have that code 'canned' for when they run those boolits, they have to copy it then make the required changes. I'm pretty sure they use a rotary tool changer on their lathe. It may or may not require a tool change. I don't know what sequence of operations they use.

If they did this for you and made the thing while running regular 2 cav C309-113F's they'd have to load the special program. Make your mould, then re-load their own program make any tool changes if required then begin again on their own run. Your special set of blocks would then have to travel through the rest of the operations and be kept track of, then pulled and shipped seperately.

I think you and Felix are being a bit unrealistic and unfair in expecting Lee to do this for free, or in the name of good customer relations. That's ALL they need is people calling in wanting this drive band deleted or made wider or lube grooves deeper or flatten the nose or any of a couple score other 'simple' ops that only need this or that tweak to the code. If Doug or Pat had to listen to everyone's ideas about mould design or changes, then explain why they can or can't do it, I doubt they'd get many moulds made.

When we had the C309-113F's run in 6 cavity blocks with no changes other then the number of holes, it was a custom order. Bottom line is anything they catalog is stock. Other then what they currently offer is a custom deal.

..................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Man
    Lyman has a two cavity mould (311008) that is a plain base flat point. I can lube it first and run it through a Lee .309 sizing die. Should make a decent small game bullet. I'll try it first.

Thanks for all the help.

Boolit Grand Master
    I second W30WCF's recommendation of the RCBS 32-098-SWC, or perhaps the Lyman #311008 could be made to work.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Bub
    I got a deal on some 115 grain PB sized .314 (for the 32/20) and ran them through a Lee .311 sizer. Viola.....115 grin FP plain based bullets for my 30/30. I use about 7.5 grains of Unique.
    Derek