Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: lead, jacketed,plated back and forth

lead, jacketed,plated back and forth

Not sure where to put this but I'll try here and see what happens.

Is there any reason I can't shoot a bunch of lead bullets then change to copper plated and back and forth?

thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    Sometimes shooting cast over jacketed fouling can cause accuracy issues. If accuracy meets your needs then go for it.

I personally find that shooting cast over jacketed fouling helps remove the jacketed fouling.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Buddy
    Bad idea to mix 'em. Bad for accuracy. I shot 170gr cast them 150gr jacketed and the 150s were all over the place. Cleaned the bore and the 150s were back on target.

Did you use anything special to clean the bore like copper of lead solvent or just normal bore cleaning.

Boolit Master

Clean the copper out after shooting to go back to lead.

Do you use anything special to remover the copper or just a normal cleaning?

Boolit Master

A good bronze brush with any of the good solvents will suffice for normal fouling.

If the jacketed bullet fouling is really bad, you may want to try a specialized copper solvent like Sweets 7.62 solvent. Lots of people making these ammonia based solvents now so a trip to any LGS should find a selection of 'em. Of course don't use that bronze brush with the copper dissolving solvents.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

In Remembrance
    I would be even more concerned shooting jacketed after lead if it had leaded any.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Sometimes shooting cast over jacketed fouling can cause accuracy issues. If accuracy meets your needs then go for it.

I personally find that shooting cast over jacketed fouling helps remove the jacketed fouling.
    AND Vice Versa . . .

Boolit Buddy
    JB Bore Cleaner works quite well. Works for jacketed and cast.
    M

Boolit Master
    There have been cases of extreme neglect when someone gets terrible leading (bad enough to decrease the functional bore diameter), then follows it with a copper bullet and that can cause pressure problems. You have to really stop paying attention for it to get that bad though. In normal circumstances accuracy is the main concern.

I've done this in a 686 revolver in 357 and a rossi 92 in 44 mag a good bit , it causes ME no issues in My guns , as I also find Brads statement to be true in my guns also. Your mileage may vary, just be sure and pay attention to the gun every few shots if you begin to try it.
    Last edited by butch2570; 12-24-2014 at 01:22 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't do it. I have rifles that shoot boolits exclusively and rifles that shoot j-words exclusively but no rifles that I shoot both in. With a nice slick bore and properly fitting projectiles it probably wouldn't make much difference but it seems some bores will foul to the point of accuracy or pressure issues if both lead and j-words are used.
    It may work out fine in your rifle, just have to try it if that's what you want to do.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.