PBcastco Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guess what my new pup ate this AM

Boolit Buddy

Guess what my new pup ate this AM

While I was reloading.

WP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1586_6125AMMO_1_S0_2.jpg  
    NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic and Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO

Boolit Master

So, do they have to remove it or will it remove on its own?

Boolit Master
    Never a good idea to let the doggies into the reloading room. They'll find stuff you never knew you dropped and like a 2 or 3 year old child, it always goes in their mouth.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    At least it was not your homework, no one would have believed that!
    drinks, NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, CCRKBA, GOA, JPFO, CBA, Def-Con.

Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    So, do they have to remove it or will it remove on its own?
    It too shall pass.

Boolit Master
    The bullet nerd in me wishes it were powder coated so we could see how well it held up to the GI tract.

Was it lubed with an animal fat grease lube, or is your dog just young and adventurous and not very discrminating?

Boolit Buddy
    Took her to the Vet, she said it would never pass. They wanted to try to make her throw up first before they did surgery. Luckily that worked. They said she threw up in a stainless bowl and they heard a thunk. It is a 245 grain I was reloading for a Blackout. One of the techs who is a shooter came in when they did the x-Ray and said "is that a .30?

The three dogs aren't allowed in the reloading room; this one snuck in. BTW her name is Ammo ( she's my dog ). Her two brothers are named Merlot and Gallo ( my wife named those two ). She's only 5 months old, her brothers are 5 YO. I've reloaded close to 125,000 rounds in the past 5years. This is the first one anyone has eaten.

She's famous now, the Vet wanted to put the x-Ray on their Facebook page and I said OK.

WP
    NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic and Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO

Boolit Buddy

WP, what kind of doggie?

Looks like a boolit hound from the x-ray

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dilly View Post
    The bullet nerd in me wishes it were powder coated so we could see how well it held up to the GI tract.

Was it lubed with an animal fat grease lube, or is your dog just young and adventurous and not very discrminating?
    She's teething and jumps on anything. It was 45/45/10

Boolit Buddy
    She's a West Highland White Terrier. That's her in the middle.

WP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1468.jpg  

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dilly View Post

I now have coffie on my key board, thanks, LOL
    Glad your pup is gona be OK.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Glad you caught it!

I'm assuming that a cast boolit? Not good for dogs. It is rumoured that their digestive acids will dissolve enough of it to kill them! Cattle die from eating the lead plates from old tractor batteries and other lead pieces they find. And we're not talking about teething calves either! Not sure why they would eat lead though!?
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

In Remembrance
    Cattle will also die from eating a piece of steel, as in baling wire or anything of the sort, but they have a whole different stomache setup.

I had a dog chew on a round ball till it was basically unrecognizable, but never swallowed it.

Boolit Master
    Our 3 month old doberman we are god parents of ate his collar a couple weeks ago, it had little brass horses around the collar, they showed up on the xray like your boolit. Surgery and 28 stiches later and he's ok now.
    Life is better with dogs!

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Glad you caught it!

I'm assuming that a cast boolit? Not good for dogs. It is rumoured that their digestive acids will dissolve enough of it to kill them! Cattle die from eating the lead plates from old tractor batteries and other lead pieces they find. And we're not talking about teething calves either! Not sure why they would eat lead though!?
    Lead tastes sweet. That why kids used to eat lead paint chips. The Romans even used it to sweeten their wine.

Banned
    We had a German Shepherd one time that ate a whole frozen chicken. Nothing was left except the wrapper. The Vet had never seen this before and she passed it by herself without surgery.

Boolit Master
    Had a Lab pup, that true to his breed, would eat anything. Didn't even have to be in the food classification. One day, once he got big enough to reach the lower shelf under my loading bench, he found and ate the better part of a stick of the old black Lyman crayon type lube, box and all. Never bothered him in the least, never threw up or even got the runs. I've had labs for about 40 years and am still amazed at what they will eat.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy_Dan View Post
    Lead tastes sweet. That why kids used to eat lead paint chips. The Romans even used it to sweeten their wine.
    Yes, in fact, another name for lead acetate is "sugar of lead". Some people say the decline of the Roman Empire was because of their use of lead as a sweetener in wine.

The Vet is going to do a blood lead level to check her out and some chelation therapy if needed.

WP

Boolit Master

My friends dog had eaten about a lb of real good Rat poison a few years ago. He called, all worried. I told him to mix 2 TBLs hydrogen peroxide to about 4- 5 ounces of water and suck it up in a Baster. Place it in the dogs mouth toward the back and squish the liquid out slow. The dog swallowed it and in a few minutes vomited everything in his stomach, best to do it outside.
    It worked like a charm and dog is still alive today and he never went to the Vet.
    If you have dogs, always have Hydrogen Peroxide handy and a baster, it will save you a Vet bill.

Banned

I have had dogs as pups that chewed everything from chair to table legs. ANYTHING at all. Then got my pekingnese pup, never chewed a thing and will not eat anything funny. That little head has more brains then any dog I ever had.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast