RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Powder deteriorating plastic

Boolit Buddy

Powder deteriorating plastic

I found a RCBS Charge Master combo on craigslist that a guy was asking $250 for. He said he had only used a it a handful of times and it was just collecting dust. I told him that I'd take it for $235 and he accepted. When I went to pick it up he said he didn't realize that powder would deteriorate plastic and had left the powder in the machine for probably months. I wasn't aware of this either, but the powder seemed to eat into the plastic and somewhat embed itself. It's not easy to get off and probably won't completely come off. I told him I'd still take it as it was fully functional and I'd have to try and clean the plastic and maybe get a new tube for the top. So he ended up telling me I could take it for $200. I'm super excited as I feel I still came out with a hell of a deal still. Has anyone experienced this? I usually clean all my powder feeds after I'm done and maybe let them set a few days if needed. Any suggestions to clean it up?

Boolit Master

Rcbs will replace it.

Boolit Bub
    Yep give RCBS customer service or pop them an email and they will pop a new one in the mail!!! Great customer service!!!!

I had it happen with surplus 10B101 powder in a brand new chargemaster. It sort of etched into the green plastic at the base of the clear plastic tube. The tube turned from clear to opaque.

Almost forgot. Anyone want to take bets on how long it will be before CS86 leaves the drain open on the charge master?

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Yep. Many alloys of plastic will be attached to different degrees by nitrocellulose gun powder. Unfortunately, that is the type of plastic most loader makers use!!!!!!! Always dump your load!

Go figure!

banger

Boolit Buddy
    Almost forgot. Anyone want to take bets on how long it will be before CS86 leaves the drain open on the charge master?
    I'm sure it will happen a few times before I learn.

Kind of sucks that the lesson learned had to be on a fine machine like this and not some cheapo equipment. I have left powder in a powder drop for awhile and learned that it discolored the plastic. Never long enough to make it start deteriorating the plastic. Glad I know now so I don't ever make the mistake.

Hows come the powder doesn't start eating the plastic powder containers? I wonder why the scale equipment isn't using that type of plastic...

Boolit Grand Master
    It is all in the alloy of the plastics, my friend! Your powder bottles are #2 HDPE and will not be dissolved my MOST chemicals! Chem storage bottles are made of it.

The clear tubes used on loaders are made of plastics like polysulfone or other hard plastics that will be rapidly attacked if powder left in there.

They do not use HDPE for structural stuff like scales/pans/tubes/etc because it is flexable and will deform. Stiff plastics are used becuase they maintain their shape and take sharp mold forms.

Just remember to dump!

banger

Boolit Buddy
    The late Skeeter Skelton wrote about an incident where he left powder in the hopper for a period of several days. It discolored the plastic and also affected the powder.

Boolit Master

Double-base powders will do this. I have not yet had a problem with single-base powders.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Well its a good thing I read this thread... I have never used a powder throw and just purchased a new Dillon 550b, I was going to leave the powder in the tube for loading 9mm... I guess I will dump the powder after each use.

Boolit Master
    Double base powders contain nitroglycerine and attack plastics that are not chemical resistant.
    There are many, many plastics that are chemically resistant and will not be damaged by smokeless.
    However these plastics are considered engineering materials and can be relatively expensive compared to plexiglass (acrylic)
    PETE used in soda bottles is one of those plastics.
    Ordinary polyetheylene and polypropylene are not affected.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    I had read that Tightgroup was really bad about this. I have run it through my charge master a couple times and removed it as soon as I was done loading. I rub it down with a dryer sheet to keep static to a minimum and I still had to use a shotgun mop that I dedicated it's use for this to rub the sides off after less than an hour. Never had this issue with any other powders once I used the dryer sheet. The high nitro content makes it bond to the plastic they use.

Boolit Master
    I love how information seems to disappear and reappear every few years as newer members come and older ones drop out!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...powder+hoppers
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Boolit Grand Master
    With the new improved search engine and the tons of stored info on this forum, anyone can easily find answers to just about any questions they may ever have.......as long as they TAKE THE TIME to look for it!! Many seem to be just too impatient and it is just way too easy to ask questions that have been answered over and over time after time in many previous threads.

Even searches directly thru google.com end up here! Not bad!

B4 I ever ask, I LOOK. And READ.

banger

Frosted Boolits

Yeah dont forget to close the drain.
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Master
    Bangerjim,

I am going to both agree and a disagree with you! I attempted use the "NEW ENHANCED SEARCH" and could not locate the thread that I started? I ended up using the advanced feature and added my user name to the search info! There were just too many posts with the words Powder and Hopper etc. YMMV

As a general rule I usually do search postings before I post a question. Again, sometimes my 'Search Foo" is not up to the task.
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have found if you cannot find something you want and you know it is here, go to Google directly and do a string search. Many times it will find it.......on this site!!!!!

Watch your plastic!!!!!!!

Boolit Buddy
    RCBS emailed me back.

"You'll have to pick it out the best you can. I'll send you a new hopper no charge"

I'll have to do a search on how to get the junk out of the lower part of the unit. That's the part I wish I could have the plastic replaced. Now with a rough surface I'm going to be self conscious on whether I get all powder out each time I unload it. I'll probably be using mostly stick powders which will be easier, but I don't want powder mixing. I need to figure a way to buff it out. It's stuck in there pretty good. I'd post some pictures, but I can't seem to find the right cable for my camera right now. The guy was using some kind of flake powder it looks like.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Doc Holliday View Post
    Well its a good thing I read this thread... I have never used a powder throw and just purchased a new Dillon 550b, I was going to leave the powder in the tube for loading 9mm... I guess I will dump the powder after each use.
    from day 1 I always dumped my powder back in its container. The plastic will still become opaque, it just takes longer
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast