Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help I feel totally lost in this casting endeavor.

Boolit Master
    I mentioned this in another thread but dive weights with very ROUNDED edges tend to be factory dive weights of usually good quality lead, or lead alloy. Dive weights that have SQUARE-ISH/ROUND-ISH edges TEND to be shop cast in molds. They can be of anything and everything. I think the posters above are right on about temp issues.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Grand Master

I have a dive weight mould and for years, used it to get rid of alloy that didn't behave in boolit moulds.
    I marked them as ???lead, and the weight.
    They sold for more than replacement lead cost, so it was a win win situation.

Moderator Emeritus

Just a friendly addendum re using a wooden match. It took me a long time, not being the sharpest knife in the drawer, so to speak, before I learned/discovered that wooden matches have wax in their burn stuff -- simple solution it to make sure you wait a couple of seconds after ignition before you apply the wooden match's flame to your mould. I learned the hard way, what a difference a couple of seconds makes... well worth the wait! With the now-less-time burning match, too, I hold it with a pair of needlenose pliers or tweezers.
    BEST!
    georgerkahn

Boolit Mold
    All,

thanks again! Ive been away from the casting pot for a few days now in preparations for Christmas. I attempted casting one other time since the first post only to have similar results. I need to acquire a hot plate and some other things included with all the advice.

I do want to give my appreciation to the awesome forum members on here. I have never been so welcomed before on any other forum that I belong to. The outpouring of support has been great. It's been really nice.

Thank you and Merry Christmas

pete

Boolit Master

Not a problem Just pay it forward when you get to the point of casting good boolits. I started last year have learned a bunch but still have a ton to learn.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers