RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: 7x57 query on 2 single shots

7x57 query on 2 single shots

Local gun shop owner has shown me two 7x57 rifles in last couple of weeks.
    And I think I'm getting weak and may have to have one of them.
    First one is standard (looking) military Remington RB.
    Fair to good condition. Bore didn't have a good look. What I saw was okay though.
    Second is NEF 7x57 in good condition, nothing spectacular. No scope base-just holes.
    What would be the group thinking on these two.
    I understand the RBs had chamber considerations, long oversize etc etc. NEF have same thing?
    Anyone willing to venture a ball park prices on these?
    Think the dealer said $200 on NEF and $400 on RB.
    Thanks.

Boolit Master

400 isnt bad for the rolling block and in my opinion the rolling block will always be first in line.

Boolit Master
    The Handi for $200 is a good price for any caliber, let alone the 7mmMauser. Always heard they were very accurate and are a bit of a collector's piece to NEF lovers.

Boolit Grand Master
    The RB has historical value and the NEF, I'm sure, would be a good shooter. Question is: Do you want to look at it or shoot it? RB's are as neat as can be. I'm sure they would be a never ending joy to shoot. I'm partial to NEF's.

Boolit Master

I guess you could buy the nef and put the RB in layaway. Not that you need anymore enabling but we are here to help

Get them both!

Boolit Grand Master
    I would definitely bring the NEF home , if I were you !

Boolit Buddy
    The rolling block is designed for the lower 7x57 pressure loads as loaded by U.S. amoo makers. The cool factor just oozes out of the RB!
    358 Win

Boolit Master
    A number of people have found the 7mm RBs had poor quality chambers, most were oversize so as to chamber a round even if dirty or muddy, a military necessity, much as the problems with the smelly rifles.
    Short case life if the cases are full length resized.
    The Handi is a modern action, made of steel that is properly treated for up to 65,000 psi loads and with standard chambers,
    I just heard that the group that bought rem, marlin and H&R, NEF have decided to end the barrel program and end Handi production all together soon. As is usual in that case the speculators will be driving the price up fast on handis, so buying one now at a reasonable price would be a good move.
    I have 5 actions and more than 9 barrels so I am pretty well set.
    I also have 2 RBs, but one is a #4, .32 rf converted to cf and rechambered to .32-20 and the other is a Danish made 1867 which had been converted to cf and then rechambered to .45-70, I am in the process of making a pig popper carbine of it as the barrel muzzle had been made oval by cleaning rod wear and 21 " is a lot easier to handle than the original 37 ".
    drinks, NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, CCRKBA, GOA, JPFO, CBA, Def-Con.

Boolit Master

Im guessing its a #5 action right?

What I found out shooting a 7mm Mexican , fire form 7x57 mauser don't resize .then slug the bore they can be as large as .308 ,then go .002 over the slugged size.
    keep your velocity under 1500fps.
    You should be shooting.
    Dusty Ed

Boolit Buddy
    If you're young enough, by the RB for a future build. By then they will be so scarce and costly that people will point and nod at you when they see you on the street, just because you have one. When I look back at the $80 high wall that I didn't buy because it no longer had a butt stock, well you know the rest. BT.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Billthomas View Post
    If you're young enough, by the RB for a future build. By then they will be so scarce and costly that people will point and nod at you when they see you on the street, just because you have one. When I look back at the $80 high wall that I didn't buy because it no longer had a butt stock, well you know the rest. BT.
    Good advice. I remember back in the very early 60s (60 or 61) walking into a hardware store to see rack on rack of RBs. Wish I had spent the (somewhere around) $10.00 each and bought a bunch. I've kicked myself for several bad decisions, but the worst was walking away around 1974 from a complete, non-running 1959 Jag XK150S for $495.00 because it didn't have a title. That was before I learned how easy it would have been to get a good title. Last one I saw was about 25 years ago, running, with an asking price of $30,000.00.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member