Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Stevens tip up pistols

Boolit Master

Stevens tip up pistols

Does anyone recall a company making the tip up replica? Not the German company but I recall seeing a very nice 22 with a brass frame and a long barrel.

Boolit Master
    I believe they were sold by hy hunter

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Boy . . that shakes up some memories of long ago . . I'd forgotten that they had been reproduced. I think fixit is right on the Hy Hunter? Am I remembering correctly? Back in the 60s?

I had one back in the day. For a few days!
    Can't remember who made it or where it originated.
    Frame was nickel plated as I remember. Wasn't plain brass I'm pretty sure. Had globe(?) front sight and nice rear sight.
    Lost it to my cousin who shot it and said thanks.
    Seriously, he used it when Ohio river got high and flushed fish up into grass lands along the river.
    Also to carry in truck when he went ground hog hunting.
    Wish I knew where it ended up after he passed away.
    Thanks for bringing up some very pleasant memories.
    Merry Christmas all.

Boolit Master
    I had one for a while. It as chrome plated but I think the chrome covered a zinc pistol. I know it was soft because it kept driving the firing pin forward. I don't remember what I did with it. I also had a Stevens tip up pistol for a time and I don't remember what I did with that one either. I had forgotten the pistols until I read this post.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Thanks. I know there were a lot of cheap copies made, some with plated frames and painted barrels. Back in the early 1900's Stevens made some with detachable stocks and vernier sights. I always wanted one when I was a kid. Guess I'll keep lookin'.

The 1970's repro's were made by Hawes of Los Angeles, in their West Berlin (Germany) plant.

Boolit Master
    Attachment 124868

They probably weren't the first. The picture is from a catalogue of the French firm Brun-Latrigue of St. Etienne. It is undated, but probably before WW1, and it includes a bicycle motor attachment described as the model of 1929.

I think this firm were once gunmakers, but I am not sure if they actually made anything at the time. Their address is adjacent to the better know Manufrance, and they do a similar if less ample line of guns, bicycles, tools and accessories, outdoor equipment etc. They may just be another brand, like Glenfield were really Marlin. Most of their products are French or more likely Belgian made, since the latter was cheaper.

It is, I suppose, possible that this pistol was imported from the US or made under licence (as Webley did with the four-shot Sharps derringer). At 75 francs it isn't cheap, being about double the price of an adequate small pocket revolver or their other 6mm. target pistols, which were copies of the British Tranter which eventually mutated into the Webley single shot. A Mannlicher-type automatic or the Mauser 7.63mm military model (the only one they describe by the maker's name) cost only 100. The latter was almost certainly a German products.

They do say it is the pistol with which "the celebrated American shot, Ira Paine, made the crowds marvel", which if untrue is a bit rich even for that period's advertising industry if he was alive. But he wasn't. Paine, a perfectly genuine chevalier if you count a Portuguese knighthood, spent quite a bit of time in Europe, and the Stevens was his favourite target pistol.

The Bosquette double base 6mm. cartridge may have been larger than a .22, or it may have been the same as the .23 rimfire British cartridge, which is close to, or perhaps is, the .22 Short.
    Last edited by Ballistics in Scotland; 12-20-2014 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    Attachment 124868

They probably weren't the first.
    The picture is from a catalogue of the French firm Brun-Latrigue of St. Etienne.
    It is undated, but probably before WW1, and it includes a bicycle motor attachment described as the model of 1929.

FWIW, Joshua Stevens was the first, making the tip-up pistols aince 1864.

The pistol pictured in the ad is either a copy of the later 1872-1903 Stevens Conlin Model 38, or actually a Stevens Conlin.

Banned

One of these turned up in alocal shop I frequent and where I know the owner. He said he'd gotten something interesting in trade and brought it out of the back room. It is in rough shape, but the bore looked OK and it locked up good and tight. The firing pin seemed missing, otherwise it seemed to work fine.

It had the dove tail in the butt of the grip for a detachable stock. He didn't really have an idea of what to price it at and didn't seem to be in a big hurry to put it out for sale. I might could get a good deal on it. How hard would that be to fix and what would be a decent offer (I know and like this guy and don't want to make an insulting offer).

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95