WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Was pushed to build another pistol

Was pushed to build another pistol

Hello all, To make a long story semi short, a little more than a year ago my father brought me a 5 foot long piece of 304 hexagonal stock and told me to build him a gun with it, I said ok and told him it would have to be a pistol. Well I had been putting it off because of the hex shape, but a month ago they diagnosed my father with Multiple Mioma, so I figured I should get my butt in gear and get the pistol made for him for Christmas. I started working on it 11/14/2017 and finished it today 12/16/2017. to save time I bought the stock pre-shaped and inlet-ed it for the hex barrel and the lock that I designed and built from several other lock designs. Hats off and many thanks to John Lifer j.lifer@ozarklaserengraving.comfor the engraving,he did a wonderful job and got it done quickly so I could get the pistol done in time for Christmas. You think he will like it?
    Here is the link to the whole build. https://postimg.org/gallery/21cxjqxmo/
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Boolit Master

"You think he will like it?" Oh yeah!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

He will love it. Our prayers are sent for your dad. Cancerland is a crappy place to be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Very cool. Thats a wonderful gift.

Boolit Master

You did really, I mean really good. Your dad will love it. My prayers for you and your dad. It is a rough time, but a good attitude about it will take some of the roughness out. Thank you for sharing this special gift with us.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Buddy
    Not too bad. Hope things get better for your dad and family in the new year. I'm sure he'll love that. Makes me want to do another one.

Nice work! Best wishes for your Dad.

Boolit Master
    Very nice.
    I've seen a few Hex barreled rifles in the past. One that hung on the wall of a back woods grocery store had a very thick Hex barrel made of brass. It looked near as big as the old 4 gauge elephant guns.
    A gunmaker I read about many years ago used six sided rock drill shafts as the basis for his barrels.
    IIRC many of the early matchlocks used Hex barrels.
    I figure barrel making of those days was a development of the hollow iron shafts found on some of the higher grade war hammers and morning stars. Some I've seen showed signs of being hammer forged around a mandrel.
    I suspect that a Hex cross section is stiffer under load than an octagonal section. In the same way a tripod is self correcting and more stable than a four limbed framework.

Always good to do something for dad now and then.