Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
PBcastco Repackbox

Thread: LEE REAL bullet for 45cal Seneca

Boolit Buddy

LEE REAL bullet for 45cal Seneca

Trying to decide which weight of the LEE REAL bullet for my T/C Seneca 45cal caplock. Does anybody out there have any experience with either or both out of a 45 cal T/C muzzle loader? Does anyone have a preference for one over the other. I am looking for accuracy and range of shots under 75 yds for deer and/or hog. Thanks for any help.

In Remembrance

I use the Lee 200 grain REAL bullet in my .45 caliber Seneca with good accuracy and effectiveness. I put a slip-on recoil absorber on the butt plate to reduce the recoil with the thin brass butt plate. 70 grains of FFFg and the 200 grain REAL will let you know when you pull the trigger. The Seneca is not a very heavy gun but it makes up for that in being easy to carry and shoot. I have also found that a .125" card or felt wad under the REAL bullet really helps with the accuracy. I cast mine from pure lead with 1/2% tin added and lube with a 50/50 bee's wax/lard mix. I also use this load for FWC hunter safety training often loading and shooting 50 times a session without any kind of cleaning.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use the same exact load as curator does and it's a doozy. Deer don't stand up to it.

I've been using the Lee 45-230-TC tumble lube 45ACP boolit in my Cherokee. Cast from nearly pure lead, sized to .442 and paper patched, loaded over a LDPE and felt wad stack with 50gr. Old "E" FFg, it is incredibly accurate. I had just about given up on that barrel - worn crown, pitted bore, wouldn't shoot patched balls for beans no matter what I tried. Then for grins I tried the PP boolits and lo and behold it does shoot! Just don't load it too heavy since the stock might break.

-Nobade

Perm-Banned
    200 to 250 grain. also a 250 grain .440 paperpatched bullet with 2 wraps of number nine onion skin will do the trick also.

Boolit Buddy
    Gentlemen
    Thanks for your info and experience. After the Christmas holidays I plan on getting out and doing some tinkering with the 45 seneca. This information will get me started and I do sincerely appreciate y'all. Merry Christmas and I hope each of you have a happy and prosperous New Year.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Your Senica, being light and friendly will let you know when you light up 70 gr. of ffg or fffg under a REAL or maxi. I would stay under 60 gr volume.

I used to hunt with 55 gr with the maxi or a LEE Minnie. That was with a H&A underhammer , 32" barreled Offhand model

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master
    I have had my 45 Seneca for about 23 years and even though it has a broken stock held together with duct tape, it is still a tack driver with PRB at 100 yards. It has taken more than a dozen mule and black-tail deer with PRB. I have tried all the other types of projectiles including taking a couple deer with sabot and 357 boolits but I always end up going back to PRB and am glad I did it. My PRB load is 54 gr of 3F Goex with an. 010 patch. I recently picked up an unfired 45 Cherokee and it shoots just as well as the Seneca with the same PRB load but the Seneca is still my Sweetie.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 12-21-2014 at 12:14 AM.