Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Leading at the forcing cone

Banned

Leading at the forcing cone

I got a new GP100 in 357 mag. It is shooting well. But I am getting a little lead in the forcing cone and about 1/8" into the rifling. The rest of the barrel is spotless. The forcing cone is really rough and there is a distinct ridge all the way around the cone right before the rifling. I am pretty sure this is were the leading is coming from.

What would be the easiest and cheapest way to correct this? This is my first time reloading for a revolver also.

Boolit Grand Master

A picture would help. If I'm visualizing what your saying correctly I would call Ruger and probably be sending it back to them to either re-cut the forcing cone or replace the barrel.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Banned

Not mine but it looks about the same.

Boolit Grand Master

Were it mine it would go back. Notice the leade in to the rifling? Me either, there isn't any. Just a sharp edge to start the rifling which of course will cut bullet material. If you had gotten it used I'd say re-cut it yourself or have a smith do it but you said "new" so.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    Recut the cone yourself. Tool isn't too expensive from Brownell's. It's easy. Two different cutters available (you only need one). then you will have the tool to dress up your other guns. I had a .22 that spit lead. Now it behaves.

Boolit Master
    If I'm seeing correctly, I think firelapping would cure your problem. Sorry you have to fiddle with your new purchase.

Boolit Grand Master

A brand new revolver cut that poorly is not a candidate for fire lapping. It needs to be checked to see IF it can be recut correctly, if not it needs a new barrel.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Vendor Sponsor

It needs the forcing cone recut. Firelappng cannot do that. I can do the forcing cone but you would have to ship it to my FFL dealer, and it's cheaper shipping if you take it to your dealer and let him ship to mine. PM me if you want to go this route.

If you want to send it back to Ruger, they should send you a prepaid shipping label for it and pick up shipping both ways. THIS would be the cheapest way, to send it to me would be the fastest way.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    A brand new revolver cut that poorly is not a candidate for fire lapping. It needs to be checked to see IF it can be recut correctly, if not it needs a new barrel.

Rick
    Exactly.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned

I think I am going to run it up to my dealer tomorrow and have him send it back. Every other cyl throat is tight.

I have not had any luck buying anything. Nothing seems to be made right. Every company in this disposable property society is really starting to piss me off. They have let their quality go down so far I can't believe some of this stuff is even safe anymore. Even some of the custom people are getting bad.

Banned

It also seems to be leading more on the bottom of the forcing cone. What does that mean? The bore is off center?

Yep, always hate to mess with a new gun. Been there, done that, got the tshirt. Quickest, cheapest, and most simple way is fire lapping. It really took some nerve to do it, but I am glad I did. The gun now shoots just fine.

not saying you shouldn't sendvit back. That's an option. But be prepared for them to say "everything is in spec". They do not make guns specifically to shoot lead boolits. They make them to shoot factory ammo, which more often than not is jacketed.

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    I think I am going to run it up to my dealer tomorrow and have him send it back. Every other cyl throat is tight.

I have not had any luck buying anything. Nothing seems to be made right. Every company in this disposable property society is really starting to piss me off. They have let their quality go down so far I can't believe some of this stuff is even safe anymore. Even some of the custom people are getting bad.
    I hear you and and am on the same page. I have decided to just buy cheap and fix what is not good. Then you at least come out even and don't have high expectations dashed.

It also seems to be leading more on the bottom of the forcing cone. What does that mean? The bore is off center?
    Believe it or not I had leading on one area more than the other. After fire lapping it was all good. I'm not sure what causes that, but be assured that it's doubtful Ruger sent something out that was not fit right like this. Bore off center would be a big deal that I can't see them missing. Hang in there, everything will be fine. Don't think the gun is a piece of junk. It will soon run good for you and all this will be a thing of the past.

Boolit Grand Master

Largely because people accept that kind of work. Not me, I'd be polite with Ruger but they would hear about it and they would get it back. It's a shame for sure, right now there is another thread in this forum about how good Ruger's are.

The worst forcing cone I've ever seen on a new revolver was an FA. I ordered it through my smith cause I get a great price but also because he and the owner of FA are friends. The day it came in I went over to pick it up, I took it out of the box and looked it over, had the cylinder out for about 2 seconds, put it back together and into the box. My smith called FA and talked with the owner and he said to ship it back collect addressed to the owner, not the receiving dept. Took a week and half and it came back with a new barrel.

Nobody walks on water, not FA, not Ruger. They should make it right and my money is that they will.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Have a blackhawk, same deal. Ruger had it back too me in 3 weeks, barrel straightened, forcing cone cut and action timed. Had to fight em a little on shipping but they picked up the tab.
    ...I GOT ONE FOR YA...

Boolit Grand Master

Can't tell from the picture, only one rifling shows and that is on the bottom sooo . . . But then you said the picture isn't your gun.

That rifling would strip jacket material also, not just lead. It does need to go back, don't try to firelap it and void the warranty. Make it right, I know it's a PITA right now but once it's correct you'll be glad for many years that you did it right.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

Sending it back is worth a shot. I have just not had the best of luck getting much for satisfaction from manufacturers. I wouldn't buy a Ruger for years because I got 3 lemons in a row, and one came back from repair worse than it went in. That said, I bought one recently, and it was as close to perfect as I've ever seen a Ruger, just excellent. All of them make junk, I had to have an F/A cylinder reamed by Doug to match the oversized barrel. It shoots awesome now, but why did this have to be done? Sorry man, I hope they make it right.

Banned

Just got off the phone with Ruger. They are sending UPS tomorrow with a shipping label to send it back. Now the wait. She could not say how long it will be.

Boolit Grand Master

A PITA for sure but after it's all said and done you'll be mighty thankful for taking the time to do it correctly, will have been well worth it.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Love Life
    Smart move giving the manufacturer the opportunity to fix it. I have a revolver (S&W) that has always leaded a bit at the forcing cone, but the leading never seems to progress beyond a certain point and with my shooting I can't really tell the difference between it's accuracy and another of the same model with same barrel length.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast