Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .380 seating depth

Boolit Mold

.380 seating depth

I am attempting to load for my S&W Bodyguard 380. I am using boolits that I cast using a Lee #356-102-1R mold. I have slugged my barrel and come up with .354". I am sizing the boolits to .355".
    Based on the information in Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook 4th edition, I should be seating these boolits to an OAL of .960". If I try that, my action will not close due to the top of the bearing surface bottoming out in the barrel. I have loaded some dummy rounds and I find that an AOL of .938" will hand cycle fine.
    Do I need to reduce my powder charge from the suggested starting load to compensate for the increased seating depth? Or is there another solution here?

Boolit Master

I would. You didn't state which powder, but the finer more energetic powders in a small case can jump in pressure pretty quick with less case volume. I loaded a tc boolit for my 45, load data is for a round nose, I seated the tc shorter and used the min load of hs-6 and those were plumb frisky with slight signs of pressure on the primers.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Mold
    I'm using Unique powder. Lyman's Manual states the suggested starting load @ 2.9gr to maximum of 3.3gr of Unique. Is there a formula that is used for reducing the load based on seating depth?

Boolit Master

I am not aware of a formula, but unique is pretty mellow and shouldn't be as effected as BE or the like. Hopefully someone experienced with a 9 or 380 will chime in, I hate to spout numbers without firsthand knowledge.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master

"Another solution"? I would go with the Lee 120gr TC bullet and be done with it. I have the 102gr RN Lee mold and have found it to be problematic to say the least when using in the .380. Very fat in the nose and does exactly what you are talking about to me as well all the way down to hand cycling perfectly with vigorous slide manipulation, but when it comes to live fire they hung and hung and hung! I used some old data I had from years back with the 120gr. TC Lee bullet sized to .356 and all ills were fixed. Fed, fired and functioned perfect! Accurate to boot. I am not sure what my powder data was, due to the fact I am at work.....
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

I've been loading that boolit to .956 for my 2 380's, but using a start load of Acc. #2.

I used that combo. 2.5-2.9 unique oal.920 it worked fine at 15yd from a p238. At 2.9gr didn't seem "hot" in mine but when your loading data is off the reservation caution is appropriate. I wasn't looking to push the limits just get a safe reliable plinking round.

If you get the chance try red dot or promo powder. It lasts forever in a 380 and meters better.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

I like that little blunt slug.. a lot. I've been casting it for decades and still use it in revolvers and autos. I don't have my data handy but I load for a friends .380 Bodyguard using Red Dot and the thing just sings right along, making bigger holes in paper than a more pointy slug. If you want real nice holes, try the Lee 105gr SWC.. that thing is sweet.
    Sent from my computer using my fingers.