MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heating Up Moulds???

Moderator Emeritus

This has been the easiest way, for me, to pre-heat a mold...and to control the heat so as to NOT over heat it and potentially warp it...and only $1 for the hotplate at a thrift store.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I picked up a hotplate that was unused and still in the box at an estate sale for $5
    I think it was a Montgomery Wards. From the looks of it probably late 60's or early 70's vintage
    goes up to 400Deg. I usually have to make 2 casts before the mold comes to temp. Not really an issue, but it has a built in cover over the element
    I can put up to 4 molds at one time on there
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Grand Master

At Sams Club and such, they sell a can of chicken that has the same diameter, but is half as tall. It makes a dandy oven for the hotplate.
    Besides the wife makes a great chicken pie that is to die for.

I set mine on top of the pot. piece of alum foil over that, works fine.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

I learn to use the hot plate on here some time ago and try it and now will not stop usen it.I put the mold right on it , years ago I use to fill the mold till I start to get right boolits now I cut that now just to use the hot plate.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

Be careful, you can overheat a mould, especially a Lee mould. The first time I hot plated one it took five minutes for the sprue to harden.....WAY too hot!
    The Lee moulds can be ruined with too much heat , so be careful.
    Gary

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    At Sams Club and such, they sell a can of chicken that has the same diameter, but is half as tall. It makes a dandy oven for the hotplate.
    Besides the wife makes a great chicken pie that is to die for.
    So post the RECIPE , I love chicken pie!
    Gary

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by emrah View Post
    I know I'll get **** for this, but am I the only one who uses a propane torch?

Like all things, you need to be smarter than the inanimate object. Move the flame around and constantly turn the mold so it gets heated evenly. You don't have to directly touch the flame to the mold, just varying degrees of closeness.

Just be careful, but I've never warped a Lyman iron mold not a Lee aluminum one.

Emrah
    What I don't like about the torch is the open flame aspect. I cast outdoors, and in front of my loading shed. I have powder, paint, and assorted petroleum products in there, that could make a nice conflagration if something goes wrong. When I pre-heat my molds on the pot or on a hotplate, there are no open flames. Plus, I don't have to keep my eye fixed on the mold. It simply sets and warms, leaving me free to do other things while waiting for the pot to come up to temperature.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Moderator Emeritus
    For me aluminium moulds get the bottom front edge dipped in the melt, for iron and brass a blowtorch and keep the mould moving in the flame. Been doing this for over thirty years now and never had a warped mould, yet.

The blow torch is particularly good at getting the sprue plate and HB/HP pins up to temperature as you can apply the heat direct.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    This has been the easiest way, for me, to pre-heat a mold...and to control the heat so as to NOT over heat it and potentially warp it...and only $1 for the hotplate at a thrift store.

More or less my set-up. Only I don't have to have the saw blade as my element is solid. I turn the pot on, set the heat on the HP to low and about five or ten minutes after the pot gets turned on I put the mold in the "oven". By the time the pot is ready the mold is as well. Usually only takes one or two casts and things are running nice. Occasionally the first cast turns out right, but most often it takes about two casts for good bullets.

Boolit Master
    I am a hot plate guy. Nothing fancy, I just sit the molds I plan on using that day on the plate at the same time I turn on the pot.
    Both are ready to go at the same time.

Boolit Master

Old Lee bottom pour, no I do not cast in the kitchen.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Grand Master
    Uhhhhh....you cook in the casting room?
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    Uhhhhh....you cook in the casting room?
    Yep, powder coat boolits in the oven.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12