Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would this make you happy or sad?

Would this make you happy or sad?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	104_5097_zpsaa8d7bd2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	124656

I tested 6 different Bullseye powder loads with an Ideal 160gn wc from my snub-nose 38. 50ft range fired single action with my wrist on a rest. Knowing my abilities I was happy with what I got, but was curious what the rest of you thought.

Boolit Master

snub-nose at 50' i would say that's good
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    At that range I would like to see 2" or less for 5. I have a few snubs, and find them to shoot very close to what I expect from a 4" gun, but they are MUCH harder to do it with. The tiniest variation in grip or sight alignment is magnified a lot.

Boolit Buddy
    I would be pleased.

Moderator Emeritus

6 different loads at 17 yards? I would have wanted to see each separately but understand that snubbies have issues, or rather most shooters have issues with shooting them. If that is with a 6" K-38 I would have issues with the groups.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    Shooting snubbies with factory grips is a challenge. Only the Colt Det Spec. (large wooden grips version) was easy for me. Some custom grips or "Pachmyers" help a lot. That said, I'd say you are doing fine.

You are doing well. As others have noted, control with standard factory grips can be a real challenge. A Tyler T Grip or custom wood grips will really help control the revolver and keep your middle knuckle from being beaten to death. If you can do this well off hand, you may consider yourself quite competent.

Boolit Master

Considering the purpose of the snubbies being up close and personal, point and shoot and highly concealable, yeah, I'm good with that.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy
    Is there an advantage to shooting the heavier 160 gr WC over the 148 g WC?

Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    At that range I would like to see 2" or less for 5. I have a few snubs, and find them to shoot very close to what I expect from a 4" gun, but they are MUCH harder to do it with. The tiniest variation in grip or sight alignment is magnified a lot.
    Ok, a bit more info. Both of my snubbies are 6-shot. These loads were shot with my Armscor Colt det. special copy. Those photos are of groups from 3 different loads on each target. I shoot 6, mark the target, then shoot 6 more, etc. I crunched the numbers on the groups and came up with a 3.7" average for 5 shots groups from all 6 loads. My best was a 2.52" 5 shot group (best 3 in 1.28") followed by a 3.30" 5 shot group (best 3 in 1.40"). One of these was tumble-lubed the other I used simple-lube.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by c1skout View Post
    Ok, a bit more info. Both of my snubbies are 6-shot. These loads were shot with my Armscor Colt det. special copy. Those photos are of groups from 3 different loads on each target. I shoot 6, mark the target, then shoot 6 more, etc. I crunched the numbers on the groups and came up with a 3.7" average for 5 shots groups from all 6 loads. My best was a 2.52" 5 shot group (best 3 in 1.28") followed by a 3.30" 5 shot group (best 3 in 1.40"). One of these was tumble-lubed the other I used simple-lube.
    Ok, that makes sense, I missed the part about multiple loads. Other than 1 Taurus, which surprisingly shot quite well, all my snubs have been S&W 36's or 60's. All of mine have been pretty well regulated for 158 gr. loads, but shot very well with a hot HB wadcutter load. I should shoot the ones I have more, they are easy to get rusty with, and they are what I prefer to carry.

You are doing well. I'd pick a load and shoot it a lot. It may surprise you how small groups get in a few thousand rounds.

Boolit Master

Hard to say without seeing the individual groups.
    Every shot you get in life counts

Boolit Master

I would pick the best load out of the bunch for each gun and then try a couple of cylinders from each on a separate target, you might be surprised! My favorite is a S&W model 10 that is serialed to be late first or second year production, I use Hogue Monogrips on every S&W I own and find that the same grip feel really helps my shooting. My avatar is a target that I shot from around 22 feet off hand with 1 cylinder full from my 3" S&W, 4" S&W and an SP101 early production long cylinder 357 with 2.25" barrel, I finished the target with a second cylinder from the 3". All were shot double action. It is far from a perfect target, but I was very happy with the pattern and the load, considering that 2 of the 3 guns are fixed sights and I never changed the point of aim.

I guess what I am trying to say is that if you are pleased with the target and wish to persue one of the loads that worked the best, then things are good. It would help to use a different target for each load and maybe each load from each gun. But, if I were working up a load... I would consider it to be a good start at that range!

Merry Christmas, Matt

My wife brought back a target that looked about like that, don't recall the distance so not making a direct comparison but.... a friend looking at the target while lounging on the couch commented that the target did not have a lot of holes in the bull's-eye. I asked to see the target, looked at it then dropped it on his chest and asked the only important question "which one missed".

Looks to me like the targets BMC would be having a bad day with all of your shots. So which ones missed?
    Last edited by RogerDat; 12-17-2014 at 10:39 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

With 358429 HP over 5 gr of Unique, I can usually get about 2-2.5" for 5 at
    10 - 12 yds, so 30-36 ft. Never have tested at 50 ft, and for MOST
    other loads, I can't get anywhere near as good groups with my 342.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Shooting double action or single?

Boolit Master
    Just your wrist was on the rest? I would try it with the gun on the rest instead.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    50 feet - more than twice the distance of what is considered SD range - i.e. 7 yards or 21 feet. You were shooting at a little over 16 yards. If those targets are on 8 1/2 X 11 paper - then you are within "central mass". So . . I don't think you did too bad with a snub.

I have a Smith Model 36 snub and I am older (past 60) and have some eyesight issues. I recently switched out the stock grips on the 36 for a set of compact Pachs and it tightened my groups up considerably. We all try to shoot "tight groups" but believe me, age, eyesight, physical shape, etc. all enter in to it. The important thing is to practice, practice and then practice some more. It take time but you'll see even more improvement as you hit on a load that works well for you out of your hand gun.

I shot SA for close to 50 years - BP revolvers. When I finally got interested in cartridge handguns - DA was a whole different animal. If you are shooting the snub and plan on carrying it for SD - once you get you load worked up - do it in DA. I still shoot in SA many times but each range session includes DA practice - if you ever have to use your hand gun for SD - that's what you'll be using and it will normally be over in a matter of seconds - and that's all the time you'll have to put the perp down.

With practice, you'll be able to shoot even tighter groups firing off-hand with no rest at that distance. Working up a load? I don't think that's too bad and it gives you something to work towards. Good luck and thanks for sharing!

Thanks for all the opinions. These were my first work-up loads with a new mold and when I thought about how they had shot I was pretty pleased, then I got curious what others would think so I posted up the picture.

Thomas Traddles, The 160 is what I'm using simply because that's what I have. I bought the mold thinking it was a 148, so I was surprised when the boolits came out weighing 166gn. from my range scrap. I did some internet searching then and discovered that this design is generally well regarded, so I wasn't disappointed.

Beerd, I fired these single action. That's how I do it when I'm testing loads.

Upnorthwis, I don't want to burn or shoot holes in the gun club's sandbags, and snubbies don't have a lot of real estate underneath to rest on something, so I put my wrist over the bag with the bottom of my fist sorta hanging over the front.... it feels pretty stable that way to me.

I'll try a couple more concoctions and run some over the crony before I settle on one, but I'm liking this boolit so far.

Boolit Master

Keep on doing what ya doing !!!

At 50' Id be happy to keep em all on the paper, but I`d stay with 1 or the other load , personally TL has disappointed me anything over plinking velocities with the WCs. My best groups come from a Lyman 159gr WC with only 2 grooves lubed with Carnauba Red or TAC 1.
    GP100man

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast