MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: What is it

Banned

What is it

Just emptied out a buddy who passed reloading room and have two jugs of ball powder marked m2 for 3006 ball. Manufacture is river ordnance is this 760 or something else. Any load data suggestions to cross reference with data from another power?

Boolit Buddy
    From what I have read on it loading data varies by lot number. Here is some info on lot #47289
    And you can take this with a grain of salt it’s from the internet. Might be a place to start.

Banned

must be some real low pressure data the 308 is barely faster then a 3030. I was hoping it came in at around 760 or 414 so it would be decent in the 308 but you cant get much more then 50 grains of ball in a 308 and if there only getting 2250 out of 49 grains there isn't much hope for it. Luckily my acquisitions today also included 7lbs of 4895. lots of 860 and 852 surplus too

Banned

also got 16lbs of 852 which might work better in the 308

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    also got 16lbs of 852 which might work better in the 308
    FWIW, the data accompanying my jug(s) of Lot #47289 is (also) marked WC852. Same data. Still trying what to do with it that fits within my desired loading parameters - can't use it in a Garand, and sending good j-words or boolits downrange just for the noise isn't exciting, either. Didn't get a look at load data 'till too late... Darn, but my fault thru and thru. Guess the military used this for machine guns(?) or ?????? that weren't sensitive to port pressure.

If not already done, perhaps some work with a chronograph would be instructive. There are at least two different "speeds" of WC852 out there, with the "fast" lot being H380-speed (more or less), and the other (this one) being more like H450 or 4831. Be CAREFUL! A friend of mine blew up a .270 trying to get decent ballistics with this "slow" lot.

Jess
    Last edited by M99SavNut; 12-17-2014 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Added Caution Message

Boolit Master

Company name should be River Valley Ordnance.

Mine is spherical 4831 for all practical purposes.

IT was NOT marked M2 though, but rather RVO-62 as I remember the jugs.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Banned

did he push it past 4831 data levels?
    Quote Originally Posted by M99SavNut View Post
    FWIW, the data accompanying my jug(s) of Lot #47289 is (also) marked WC852. Same data. Still trying what to do with it that fits within my desired loading parameters - can't use it in a Garand, and sending good j-words or boolits downrange just for the noise isn't exciting, either. Didn't get a look at load data 'till too late... Darn, but my fault thru and thru. Guess the military used this for machine guns(?) or ?????? that weren't sensitive to port pressure.

If not already done, perhaps some work with a chronograph would be instructive. There are at least two different "speeds" of WC852 out there, with the "fast" lot being H380-speed (more or less), and the other (this one) being more like H450 or 4831. Be CAREFUL! A friend of mine blew up a .270 trying to get decent ballistics with this "slow" lot.

Jess

Banned

both the jug of this m2 powder and the jug of 852 I got have the same lot numbers on it 47289 so I guess ive got the slow stuff

Boolit Master
    Hey Lloyd, I've burned a lot of rvo#62. Don't know the lot number but is was slow and cheap. Wish we could buy again

Banned

Long time since ive heard from you frank. How you doing? What you been up to.