Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what is your favorite loading manual and why.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00112.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	124655

I have several and use them all but Lyman is my favorite .

Boolit Master

I am gona post this, for Casters by Casters
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/relo...r%20-%20Final/
    and you can add you own load date.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    Lyman 48th is used the most- the 49th was almost a waste of money. I even occasionally use some of the very old Lyman-Ideal manuals. I look at as many different sources as possible when first starting a load work-up. You name it, I pretty much have it on manuals. Grab them from used book sources every chance I get. Trusted sources like MLV's books are also very handy. Quite often also use Barnes and Hodgdon data off the net.

I'm very leery of anonymous internet "bubba" sources and I will not use Ackley data.

Boolit Master
    I have always been a Lyman man. Since they do not make Bullets They seem to have no axe to grind. Besides Those my main go to books are Parker O Ackley. He gave me an personal autograph set when I was younger (1969)
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Grand Master

I like the one caliber books then lyman, sierra, Hornady, Hodgdons, and the powder manufacturers pamplets. My note books get used the most as they have the actual loads that I settled on for a given rifle. The One Calibers are nice as the have data from all sources in one book.

Boolit Buddy
    Before I actually started to reload, I was given a Speer #9 and a #10, by an elderly gent, who lived up the road a ways.

I read them both cover to cover....I Got a # 11 with my first RCBS kit, and now have #8-#14...Have a few others but always liked the Speer..My Fav. is probably the #11

Speer #8
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

The best book I found on reloading is a German one: "Handbuch für den Wiederlader" (Handbook for the reloader) by K.D. Meyer. Unfortunately the latest edition is from sometime in the 80s, but some of the tools and companies described are still there, and all of the methods and precautions are still valid. The writing is nice to read, and presents the information in an entertaining way. It's the only handloaders book I read cover to cover, because it's just not so dry and boring as most others are.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
    - Evely Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.

not for the Data but for the knowledge
    For data I do favor

But I also like to keep an eye on all the other books I have.
    Lyman, RCBS, Nosler, Ackley's, etc.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fouronesix View Post

I'm very leery of anonymous internet "bubba" sources and I will not use Ackley data.
    Until you find a wildcat that only he has data for! Then you use it very carefully, backing off to the lowest load and that cautiously.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I like Lyman.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Buddy

I prefer the 47th Lyman and the older Hodgdon and Speer #6. They have the calibers that I shoot. I do have another 6 newer additional ones that I check against. I did like the freebies that the powder companies used to put out but I guess that is done away with. I do use the powder companies internet info.

Boolit Buddy
    My first manual was a Speer No 5. I still look at it, and have a good size collection of manuals. I still like the Speer the best.

Speer is the only manuel that gives you ALL of the data. It list the pressure factor (as in cup, and or psi) so that you know what your working with. If your loading a 257 Bob in a Model 700 you know if the info is conservative. This info is available from SAAMI, but that is just another step, and was nearly impossible until late years and web sites.

Banned

I use them all but hornady seems to be the most current with new rounds listed.

Boolit Grand Master
    I like the one that has the info I need. Some of the old ones don't have the newer powders, the new ones often forget the old powders.

I tend towards a couple late 80s era Lyman manuals but others get plenty of use also.

In reality I am as likely to go directly to the powder companies web site for starting info as anything.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master
    ive got lyman.speer etc but i like the lee book best.

In Remembrance
    I guess I like manuals period, cuz I have enough of them. I probably look at the various lymans more than anything else, but for pure entertainment, it is hard to beat the lee. lol

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I guess I like manuals period, cuz I have enough of them. I probably look at the various lymans more than anything else, but for pure entertainment, it is hard to beat the lee. lol

Im need to see a lee manual I missed the. entertainment in the few minutes that I had one. I had a first edition lee for about an hour but it was "magnetized"

My favorite is the Lyman hand loading 2002. I have it on PDF so when I'm at the store I can remember the types of powder i wanted (I can add notes and highlight things). I haven't gotten around to buying the hard copy yet, but soon enough I will, and hand wrote my typed notes into that as well.

I just find having all my PDFs on my phone can be a game changer.
    Using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast