MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Need help regarding use of this j-bullet

Boolit Buddy

Need help regarding use of this j-bullet

Is this .308 150 gr jacketed bullet safe to shoot in my Marlin .30-30 lever action with tube magazine? It certainly is not a flat point, but the label is marked “30-30”. I thought I read that soft RN bullets should not be used. Thanks for any advice you can provide.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rem 150 gr 001.jpg   Rem 150 gr 002.jpg   Rem 150 gr 003.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by strangwn View Post
    Is this .308 150 gr jacketed bullet safe to shoot in my Marlin .30-30 lever action with tube magazine? It certainly is not a flat point, but the label is marked “30-30”. I thought I read that soft RN bullets should not be used. Thanks for any advice you can provide.
    What label? Factory label or some home made label?

Boolit Mold
    Absolutely safe. Those bullets were made for your lever action. Its the pointed bullets that have always been considered unsafe in tubular magazines. Round nose and flat point are fine, as well as the new gummy tips from Hornady.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Big glob of exposed SOFT lead is the clue!

Safe in your tubular magazine. If you have a box of Remington factory .30/30 ammunition the bullets will be the same.

Boolit Master
    Winchester Federal and most of the aftermarket jacketed boolits I've noticed. Their (jackets) match up to their exposed lead bullet tip> Square and Flat. While Remington Corelok (jackets) match up to their exposed lead tip having a serrated or petal edged jacket. (Can be seen in pix's) And there lies the difference why Core Lok's are noted for their excellent performance. 150-gr. Remington CoreLoc's are a very good choice for your 30-30 Marlin. Don't be surprised to see their Rounded boolit tip (flatten) some when levered out of your Marlin's tubular magazine into chamber. Tubular coil spring pressure and back to back cartridge stacking will cause the cartridges tips to flatten some thus reducing the chance of a magazine chain firing.

Boolit Master

I've loaded many 30/30 rounds with that very boolit by Remington without any issues other than meat in the freezer.

I used to buy those in bulk at a very reasonable price. Still have a few hundred out in the garage.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Buddy
    opos,

I was referring to the label in the third photo. Looks like a factory label, but the 100 j-bullets and label came to me in a ziplock bag. Probably had been repackaged at some time.

All,

Thanks for all the great advice and info, as usual.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Good bullets but way overpriced nowadays. For the same cost (sometimes even less) you can get Sierra Pro Hunters which are just outstanding. I used to buy the $9.95 bags of 100 Remington or Winchester slugs for practice and load up the "expensive" $14.95 a box Hornady or Sierra for hunting.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.