WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonna use Hodgdon HS-6 for "everything"

Genesis you sound in the same boat I am. Can NOT find any, and I mean ANY powder locally. I was lucky enough to come across an older reloader that was closing up his gun shop for retirement. He sold me a keg of Win 540 (HS6) and a keg of of Win 570 (HS7).

I did some research and the common thread was many said HS6 often prefers magnum primers (not always) and mid range loads and up for best accuracy / clean burn.

A real clean burn isn't important to me since in my desperation I tried black powder. Wow, what a mess. Didn't help that I didn't know what the neck I was doing and made everything messier than it needed to be. I was so surprised that Hoppes #9 had little to no affect on it lol.

As for load data there is tons for HS6, not so much with the HS7. I loaded up some HS6 in 45 Colt (best round ever invented), some in 38 Special, and some in 357 mag. Unfortunately haven't had a chance to test them lately so no personal experience yet. Not really sure what to do with the keg of HS7. If anyone has any loads for that in 357 or 45 Colt feel free to shoot me a pm. Or if you live in CA and you want it I could make you a good deal on it.

Genesis be sure to let us all know how you like it. Oh just fyi, Jon Linebaugh's pet load for general carry when not in Grizzly country is 13gr of HS6 under a 260gr Kieth type semi wadcutter. He says it's good for about 950 fps in his S&W model 25 with a 4in barrel. My Speer Manuel #12 lists 12gr max for stardard pressure loads that they got 945 fps from their test barrel. The manual says they used a 6in S&W model 25. So Jon's 13gr load may be slightly +P. Just keep that in mind if you have an 1873 Colt or levergun that could accidentally injest that load.

Boolit Master
    First off, you have a very good powder ...... VERY GOOD!

I like HS-6 probably better than all the other powders I used in the .44 mag. It will do very well in the .357 and 12 ga as well.

For my .44's ..... I like to use magnum primers and I'll add one more thing that you will likely not like .... I use a inside flash hole deburing tool on ALL my metalics.

So with that caveat, this is what I most prefer for my .44's ......

I like the RCBS 250K bullet on top of 11.8 gr. of HS-6 with the Federal mag primer.

I don't think that 11.8 is a magic load ...... it's just what I settled on. This data can be found in the Hodgdon's #26 manual. Later books list the powder at heavier charges and that's all well and good but I find that wheel weights cast in the above mold with a little tin added are kicked in the seat of the pants just the right amount with an upper 11 gr. load in the cartridge I have mentioned.

It's running right around 26K psi and that's right in line with Richard Lee's book and the alloy I am running.

The group size, standard deviation etc. are stupendous! The recoil is pleasant even in my 39 oz Smith Mountain gun. The velocity is decidely better than with Unique ... another stalwart lead powder!

VIVA HS-6!

Good luck and great shooting!

Three 44s

I'm definitely going to try that load! Anybody have any other pet loads in 38/357, 44 spec/44mag, 45 Colt, or 480 Ruger in HS6?

(or HS7 for me, sorry, don't mean to hijack OP's thread)

Boolit Master

HS-6 makes a sweet 147grn load for 9mm for suppressor use very quite to the Hollywood level with my CAC 9 from Bowers

I can remember when, not that many years ago, I could get a brick of 500 22's on sale at Walmart for $9.99....yup me too!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    HS-6 makes a sweet 147grn load for 9mm for suppressor use very quite to the Hollywood level with my CAC 9 from Bowers
    Geezer mind sharing the load? If you don't want to do so publicly I understand. A PM will work. I assume (you know what that means) its probably like most 147 gr 9mm loads and will be in the 3.5-4.0 gr range?

Boolit Master
    I find it works best in the medium to high end of its data also. I load it in 44 mag 45 colt 10MM and 38-357 plus some 45 acp. I may try it in 380 someday also.
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

Boolit Buddy
    I found when using magnum primers with 540 and now hs-6 I have much less unburnt powder left in my barrels, especially in shotgun and noticeable in pistol.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Gofaaast View Post
    I found when using magnum primers with 540 and now hs-6 I have much less unburnt powder left in my barrels, especially in shotgun and noticeable in pistol.
    OP here. MMMmmm. I have over 20,000 "standard" primers, but no magnum.

Boolit Master
    I have been using standard primers also as that is what I have, I don't notice an undue amount of extra powder and it certainly isn't bad enough to tie up the actions on any of my guns.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by harley45 View Post
    I have been using standard primers also as that is what I have, I don't notice an undue amount of extra powder and it certainly isn't bad enough to tie up the actions on any of my guns.
    OP here. Say......... Would you be Harley45ACP on youtube?

Boolit Master
    No that's not me I do have some plans for after the first of the year for my website that will include a YouTube channel. I'm going to concentrate on writing and videoing about the non tactical fun side of handguns.
    thanks for the question.

Boolit Master

I have been burning up many pounds of Win 540 loading 20 gauge ammo for the skeet range.
    Works well, a bit dirty, my fault for loading light loads
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by harley45 View Post
    No that's not me I do have some plans for after the first of the year for my website that will include a YouTube channel. I'm going to concentrate on writing and videoing about the non tactical fun side of handguns.
    thanks for the question.
    OP here. I checked your web site. "VERY" nice work ! ! !

Boolit Master
    Thank you Sir!! I'm hoping to have more time after I retire in January to expand on it a bit!

Boolit Man
    HS-6 is also one of the best 9mm major powders

Boolit Buddy

genesis

I'm about 40 miles south of you and I use alot of HS6. I like it in 9mm, .44spec and mag, .454 and .475 Linebaugh. My favorite deer hunting load in the .475 is a 380 gr. LBT GC over 16 gr. of HS6 with WLP primer for 1220 fps....hits like a truck! Like some of the posters I'm thinking it performs best with mid-range loads and magnum primers although I've had standard primers work well too.
    I don't try to make a .357 into a grizzly gun so had a quite a few small pistol mag primers that haven't been getting used. On a whim I loaded up some tumble lubed unsized 158 gr. Lee RF's over 7.9 grs. of HS6 and magnum primers. Haven't chrony'd that load (guessing 1100 fps) but it shoots like a laser out of a red dotted 586 and scoped FA 97. Makes a quick and easy plinking load and I can keep the 50 yard swinger busy with it. FWIW

Boolit Master
    Came by a "Vintage" 3 lb. can of 540 (hs-6 from what I gather) and made up 44 mag loads with 10.0 grains and the Lee 200 RNFP. Used the Win Large pistol " for std or magnum" primer and made a nice plinker with a punch sort of.Not real dirty that I noticed.

Thinking of using it this year if Winnemucca is a happening thing and any troublesome boards happen to endanger the group as they are sometimes known to do.

Used to use that stuff in 1-1/4 oz. 12 gauge and 1 oz. 20 gauge loads. If I can get it to function the M1 carbine, I'll be all set.

Wondered if anyone has a load, using this powder, that can be used against URL's or HTTP's. The guy that sold me this stuff is being pestered by these and tin foil hats just aren' t working.
    Last edited by Newtire; 02-03-2015 at 10:40 AM.

I just found HS-6 in stock at Powder Valley. Picked up 9 lbs. Still in stock as of this posting if anyone would like some.

I guess I'm odd man out on HS6. I never could get it to burn well, even with mag rifle primers. 9mm major? No help there, either, with scads of unburned powder in the guts of my pistols. Maybe it works better in 44 mag or 45 Colt with heavier bullets, IDK, but after I used up my first lb. of HS6 I never bought another.

For one powder I'd go to the old workhorse, Unique, or Power Pistol. I realize a guy has to buy what's available in this market but I was able to order 12 lbs. of powder a few weeks ago from Powder Valley. You just have to be ready to strike fast when it appears in stock.

I'm glad the HS6 works so well for you guys, but I just never warmed to it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast