Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonna use Hodgdon HS-6 for "everything"

Boolit Mold

Gonna use Hodgdon HS-6 for "everything"

Haven't posted to this board in quite awhile. Been busy shooting. I'm lucky enough to have a shooting range on my property and a bullet stop that allows me to capture the lead for re-melting. I have plenty of primers (standard - not magnum), but I haven't been able to get "any" smokeless powder this whole year in Northeast Wisconsin. I cast my own boolits and 00 buckshot. I reload for 38 Special, 357 Mag, 40 S&W, 44 Mag, 44 Special, and 12 gauge. I'm not a bulls-eye shooter, mostly combat stuff. After considerable searching I was able to find (2) 8 pound canisters of Hodgdon HS-6 on the internet for $394.50. That includes shipping and haz-mat fee. That comes to $24.65 per pound which I think is reasonable. I've found loading data for this powder for everything I shoot. Having never used HS-6 before, my question is, are there any special considerations I need to be aware of.

Thanks guys

Don <><
    Last edited by genesis; 12-17-2014 at 07:00 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

From my experience, HS-6 is a great powder for 'standard' loads in 44 mag. I'm not aware of any special considerations.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Jon. I don't load "hot stuff" anymore. I'm pushing 70 so this ol bod likes genteeeel loads Between my 70 year old girlfriend (who lives alone and in the sticks, like me) and I, we throw a lot of lead down range every year (including winter). She liked shooting my pump shotgun a lot, so she got a Stoeger Double Defense (double barrel) 12 gauge shotgun. It's hamerless and just a single trigger. Very simple manual of arms. Just load it and it goes BANG! BANG! It's a hoot ta shoot, and she's deadly with it. Puts her right at the top of the food chain. I bought and installed a tactical light on it. I almost like it better then my Stevens 350 pump. Here's a video of her shooting it.

Last edited by genesis; 12-16-2014 at 12:09 PM.

Boolit Master

I have run out of HS-6, it is one of my favorites. It will work in almost anything, but I like it in .40's and 45ACP.

In Remembrance
    By golly she throws that gun up to the right shoulder too. lol

I have used quite a bit of HS6 and I usually get slightly better groups running mag primers with it.

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    By golly she throws that gun up to the right shoulder too. lol
    NO! She uses her left shoulder.

Hs6 works good. I've used quite a bit. Only thing I'd warn is with low powered loads you might find unburned powder in the bore and accuracy will be off a little. It has worked good with med to standard magnum power loads.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I believe he meant the "Correct" shoulder...I'm guessing he's a southpaw too.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

I guess I should have used purple font.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Shot View Post
    I believe he meant the "Correct" shoulder...I'm guessing he's a southpaw too.
    OP here.
    We're both "righties", but she's blind in her right eye (also a cancer survivor), so I had to teach her to shoot "lefty".
    Now "that" was a challenge. But this video shows that almost anyone can handle a 12 gauge comfortably.
    She'll go through 50 12 gauge shells and want more. Sometimes I have to drag her off the range.
    I'm very patient with her and she really, really appreciates that. (I'm a retired computer instructor, and X firearms competitor)
    Right from the git-go, had her pull that sucker in real tight to her shoulder and plant her cheek firmly on the stock, shift her weight and balance slightly forward, "press" (not jerk) the trigger, don't anticipate the shot (flinch) and always, always, always, be safe, safe, safe. We constantly practice defensive drills, along with just enough bulls-eye stuff to maintain proper shooting fundamentals. Every other year she helps me recover 500 to 700 pounds of lead from the range.

Don <><

Boolit Master

I use HS 6 in 45Colt good powder
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master

A excellent powder ! I currently have a 8lb jug . i only use it in handguns for loads over 1,000 fps

Quote Originally Posted by genesis View Post
    OP here.
    We're both "righties", but she's blind in her right eye (also a cancer survivor), so I had to teach her to shoot "lefty".
    Now "that" was a challenge. But this video shows that almost anyone can handle a 12 gauge comfortably.
    She'll go through 50 12 gauge shells and want more. Sometimes I have to drag her off the range.
    I'm very patient with her and she really, really appreciates that. (I'm a retired computer instructor, and X firearms competitor)
    Right from the git-go, had her pull that sucker in real tight to her shoulder and plant her cheek firmly on the stock, shift her weight and balance slightly forward, "press" (not jerk) the trigger, don't anticipate the shot (flinch) and always, always, always, be safe, safe, safe. We constantly practice defensive drills, along with just enough bulls-eye stuff to maintain proper shooting fundamentals. Every other year she helps me recover 500 to 700 pounds of lead from the range.

Don <><
    Excellent program and plan. She sounds like a keeper to me.
    I had a similar problem with my eyes when I was young. I am right handed and right eye dominant. I had extremely poor vision in my right eye. I also had to learn to shoot left handed. It was the only way I could see the sights.
    I got my vision corrected now and have switched back to right handed.

Boolit Buddy

I use it for cast in 9mm .... 38 spl +p and 12 ga 1oz slug it does like the upper end of it's band for clean burn / accuracy .. I have use mag primers but really just use standard. Meters well and works good for me in my application. I would think it would be right at home in the 40 S&W.. Plenty of info out there on HS-6 also same as discontinued W 540 . FWIW, I'd be happy having the powder .. powder at LGS around here is $30 for pound can... not many jugs around these days...

I've used it in a 32/20 (.308 groove) 26" bbl. 5.5 gr gave me 1021 fps, 4.6 SD, 12.6 ES and a 100 yd 1" group using a 180 gr bullet (yes, 180 gr). This load was breech seated.

My QL said it was suppose to be a 100% burn but, it was a bit dirty.

Frank

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    were all born right handed but some of us overcome it lol

Boolit Mold
    OP here. Well the powder arrived yesterday. 16 pounds is "A LOT" of powder. I would usually buy just one or two (1) pound cans at a time. But I can't get "any" smokeless powder locally anymore. This should last me a few years. I was able to score at Walmart on 22 ammo - twice so far this year. 1500 rounds each time. It pains me to no end - first for the loss of life, and then for the panic that ensued about guns, mag capacities, assault weapons, ammo shortage, etc, cause by the Sandy Hook tragedy. I can remember when, not that many years ago, I could get a brick of 500 22's on sale at Walmart for $9.99.

I only have 6lbs on hand, but I'll be buying another pound or two every chance I get. Going to use it for 38 Spl and 45 Colt.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Mold
    Have used HS-6 in 357 45LC and 12 ga with good results in all three. I have couple of pounds left. Once gone I will have to sort through the other powders I have to try to find one as versatile. Not sure I'll be able to. Selpaw

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast