Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1851 colt Navy.

Boolit Man

1851 colt Navy.

Anyone here have and shoot 1851 Navies ? I have a Cimarron/Uberti 1851 Navy Ordered, Should have in a week.

Boolit Master

I have enjoyed having one for years. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

They are sweet. The more they are fired, the better they behave. At least mine did. They prefer a .454 ball, with 30gns of fffg. I make my lube, Beeswax, Olive oil, and Crisco. Never had leading issues. I also reshaped the grip. My Pietta has a swirl on the end that makes the pistol climb in my grip. I filed the brass frame, then the grips to match. I have large hands and that helps to grab it.
    You will have a ball with it.

Question

Although the OP doesn't say, don't the Colt 1851 Navy revolvers take a .375" or .380" ball (.36cal.)?

Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    Although the OP doesn't say, don't the Colt 1851 Navy revolvers take a .375" or .380" ball (.36cal.)?
    Yep - it's the "Army" models that are .44/.45 cal (My ROA loves .457" RB's)

My 6-shot .36 cal M-1851 Navy takes a .375" RB.

My 5-shot .36 cal M-1862 Pocket Police takes a .380" RB.

Quote Originally Posted by ambergrifleman View Post
    Anyone here have and shoot 1851 Navies ? I have a Cimarron/Uberti 1851 Navy Ordered, Should have in a week.
    Your Uberti is going to use .380 round balls. The '51 Navy is arguably the best balanced, most natural pointer of all single action sixguns. Enjoy!
    "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:18

Boolit Master

My'51 Navy is .44. It uses .454 balls. A real sweet shooter for sure.

Boolit Master
    I have had 1851 Navys off and on for all of my shooting life, but for some reason can't keep a 51. I always enjoy shooting them. I have several 1860s in .44, and really like shooting them too. I just use the round balls in them.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Uberti does not make a 44 cal '51 Navy. Pietta does and ASM did. The Uberti grip is identical to the SAA/'51 Navy original grip so no reshaping is needed.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swathdiver View Post
    Your Uberti is going to use .380 round balls. The '51 Navy is arguably the best balanced, most natural pointer of all single action sixguns. Enjoy!
    Until you use a Model 1861! By far, my favorite C&B revolver.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
    Uberti does not make a 44 cal '51 Navy. Pietta does and ASM did. The Uberti grip is identical to the SAA/'51 Navy original grip so no reshaping is needed.
    Uberti did in the past, but, not any more.

Rojelio,
    Isn't that a Griswald & Gunnison rather than a '51 Navy? You are correct that Uberti no longer makes a navy style 44. We're both kinda right. Good pic showing the Uberti logo.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    Until you use a Model 1861! By far, my favorite C&B revolver.
    True! My Uberti '61 has been apart for so long I forgot how it felt in the hand. It has a stuck cylinder stop and trigger spring screw. One of these days I'll get around to putting some heat on it and get that sixgun back together! Soaking for months in ATF and Kroil didn't work.
    "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:18

Quote Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
    Rojelio,
    Isn't that a Griswald & Gunnison rather than a '51 Navy? You are correct that Uberti no longer makes a navy style 44. We're both kinda right. Good pic showing the Uberti logo.
    Yep G&G. I forgot about the round barrel.

Boolit Master
    amberg; It should be excellent (for a 300 dollar gun), though you may need to do some tweaking to get it shooting to point of aim. As was stated already; the Uberti 36 will prefer a .380" ball. The Accurate Molds 38-100C should do well in it too, and the Lee 36 conical would be another choice so long as your gun's loading window will accept it.

I have an Uberti 1861 Navy, which I like a lot, and use the 38-100C in it with a full chamber of 777 or Swiss. The loading ram in my '61 was shaped for the nose of some unknown conical, and so it would bite into a round ball and often drag it right back out of the chamber after seating. I don't know if you'll have a similar problem with your '51, but the ram nose can always be reformed to the desired projectile using epoxy, same as a lot of cartridge reloaders have done with their seating die stems. I reformed mine to the nose of the 38-100C, so now it puts a flat spot on a ball, which is not a problem. At least now it doesn't drag any of the projectiles back out of the chamber.

Everyone's hands are different, but I like the grips of my Pietta '51 Colt and Uberti '61 Colt the best.

Swathdiver,
    I had the same problem with my '61 Navy Uberti for about 10 years. Finally moved to a house with a workshop vise. I padded the vise and took the gun apart/trigger guard off and mounted the frame upside down in the vise. I sprayed the screw with penetrating oil and with a thin bladed screwdriver and small hammer I was able to twist out the screw as I went taptaptaptaptaptaptaptap on the top of the screwdriver as I torqued both ways on the screw. I will give a little twist to tighten before honking on the twist out just to loosen things up. Prior to getting the screw out I could never get to the innards to do a thorough cleaning so I just cleaned the rest and sprayed WD-40 into the works and called it good. After the 10 years I finally got to the innards and found tons of black mush and several cap fragments but no rust at all. Good luck on getting the screw out. If you break a hand spring you are screwed.
    Hellgate in Orygun

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    Cabela's had the Pietta 1851 Yank, on sale for $169.00 and free shipping. They recommend a 0.375" ball.

Does anyone know the warranty registration web site for Pietta, I'm having a hard time trying to find it ?

The Yank has a brass grip, frame ,walnut stocks, case color main frame, with a deep blue 71/2" barrel.

It has exceeded my expectations as far as fit and finish ,and is spot on timing with a great trigger it I'm chomping at the bit and ready to make some smoke.

Any tips for a first time cap and ball revolver shooter ?
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife

Boolit Master

Make sure, the caps fit well, make sure the cylinders are topped with lube. Definately fire caps prior to loading. The only dry chamber was when I left that step out. There was some crud blocking the cap pathway to the powder. That is a good pistol. Find the sweet spot with the powder. Play with the accuracy after you have fired some cylinders of loads. You can widen the hammer notch if needed.

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    "You can widen the hammer notch if needed". I will definitely widen that hammer notch ,with my bad eyesight !
    Looks like a strip and detail is in order also.

Which caps 10's or 11's ?
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife

Quote Originally Posted by dagger dog View Post
    "You can widen the hammer notch if needed". I will definitely widen that hammer notch ,with my bad eyesight !
    Looks like a strip and detail is in order also.

Which caps 10's or 11's ?

AFAIK, the only difference between #10 & #11 caps is their depth - the #10 being shorter than the #11.

The #10 caps should fit any capgun with either short or long nipples, but the #11 cap will be too long for consistant ignition in a gun with short(er) nipples.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast