Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1851 colt Navy.

Boolit Bub
    So I picked up a 1858 Remington Army and I heard so much about the Colt 1860 that I picked up one of those as well. I like the Colt but man that Remington is much nicer IMO. I haven't shot either revolver yet.

Boolit Master
    Ignore most of the well intentioned but incorrect advise provided above and go shoot your revolver after you READ the enclosed owners manual and follow its recommendations. Having shot these revolvers for the last 40 years and after thousands of rounds through them, I offer that lubricated patches between the powder and ball are superior to over-ball grease. Range data has proven that to be the case. Use the caps & ball size indicated in the owners manual - not what others may say.

So you know, the "Navy" was never produced in 44 caliber by Colt - ever. Pietta has produced one and it is very popular but has generated a lot of misunderstanding regarding the "Navy" revolver. You will certainly enjoy shooting it regardless of the caliber.

Attachment 125038

Banned

Tar Heel - Do you actually wrap the ball in the patch as per a patched round ball in a rifle or do you just seat the patch under the ball? Interesting.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Tar Heel - Do you actually wrap the ball in the patch as per a patched round ball in a rifle or do you just seat the patch under the ball? Interesting.
    Don't encapsulate like a rifle, just load powder, insert a FELT lubricated wad, set and seat the ball so the ball is slightly less than flush with the chamber face.

Attachment 125041
    Last edited by Tar Heel; 12-22-2014 at 05:58 PM.

Boolit Master
    Attachment 125043 Attachment 125044 Attachment 125045

Powder charged, wad seated, ball set over wad and rammed home.

Boolit Master
    Attachment 125046

Homemade lubricated wads for the 1860. I made them for the 36's too.

Boolit Master
    Attachment 125047
    Homemade wad fixings of mutton tallow, pure felt, pearlized beeswax. You can purchase pre-lubed wads directly from sources like Dixie Gun Works, Track of The Wolf, and I'm sure Midway as well. Making your own helps if you shoot a lot and I shoot a lot.

Attachment 125048

This is the kind of accuracy you can expect from your Uberti if, and I say if, you load consistently and use over-powder lubed wads instead of Crisco over the ball like most profess. While that is an expedient method, it gums up the works rather quickly and contributes to fouling. That target was shot offhand at 25 yards. 36 shots.

Boolit Master
    Here are some videos shooting the Uberti 1851 Navy (London) revolver.

http://youtu.be/nghXjkCnbsY

http://youtu.be/8_wl_QrAbtU

http://youtu.be/Au_AUZiZlrk

Enjoy. When you get yours it will be SWEET!

Boolit Master

Is there a cartridge that I can use to measure out 30gns? I have a spout, but it seems light. I also have the Lee Dipper kit, but have not seen Pyrodex or Black Powder data for it with fffg. I am pretty sure I am using 25gns now. Might stay with that, but it would be good to know.
    I love my .44 Navy wannabe. A comfortable, good shooting, revolver. I almost prefer it to modern pistols.

Boolit Master
    Attachment 125050

A list of advantages to using over-powder wads instead of Crisco or other lube in front of the ball which gets blown off anyway.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by docone31 View Post
    Is there a cartridge that I can use to measure out 30gns? I have a spout, but it seems light. I also have the Lee Dipper kit, but have not seen Pyrodex or Black Powder data for it with fffg. I am pretty sure I am using 25gns now. Might stay with that, but it would be good to know.
    I love my .44 Navy wannabe. A comfortable, good shooting, revolver. I almost prefer it to modern pistols.
    Seriously....get over to Track of the Wolf and order one of the Colt style powder flasks with switchable spouts. It's the way to go and well worth the extra bucks. Makes reloading a snap and provides consistency shot to shot. I bought a range of spouts which throw 20-25-30.....you get the picture.

Attachment 125051

Boolit Master

I have one of those, in brass. The spout is supposed to toss 30gns, but looks a little low. I have always had a way to check. My other measure starts at 60gns. I was hoping someone knew of a Lee measure, or other means to check. I can always order one from TOW. I just haven't yet.
    At least I am not overloading it and the charges are the same. I use one toss of that, plus a .454 ball. It is pretty good with that load.

Boolit Master
    I have one of those, in brass. The spout is supposed to toss 30gns, but looks a little low. I have always had a way to check. My other measure starts at 60gns. I was hoping someone knew of a Lee measure, or other means to check. I can always order one from TOW. I just haven't yet.
    At least I am not overloading it and the charges are the same. I use one toss of that, plus a .454 ball. It is pretty good with that load.
    I think it's all relative anyway. If I put my finger over the spout it's always lower. I have never actually weighed or measured it scientifically or accurately. Not like smokeless anyway. In the 36 it's about 25gr. In the 44's it's about 35gr.

Those measures are helpful and I have pretty much narrowed it down to two measures. I am thinking however, of cutting the charges back to conserve powder and make it last longer. More range time with the pound - if you will.

Attachment 125073
    Last edited by Tar Heel; 12-22-2014 at 09:56 PM.

Boolit Master
    I started shooting C&B revolvers in the 60s and was taught by competitors who used them for years prior to that. Many of the revolvers I shot were original. I was taught to load powder, than an oversized ball. No grease, no wad, just powder and ball. It has been a successful load for all that time. In replicas, I like to see a nice ring shaved off the ball when I seat it.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

I just checked my Lee Dipper set. 1.9 is listed at 30.3gns of fffg. Since Pyrodex is loaded same as Black, that should work. Now, I have in mind to get the shorter barrel and loading ram, 5", to make it a snubbie.
    I do love this platform to work with.

Boolit Master
    I just checked my Lee Dipper set. 1.9 is listed at 30.3gns of fffg. Since Pyrodex is loaded same as Black, that should work. Now, I have in mind to get the shorter barrel and loading ram, 5", to make it a snubbie.
    I do love this platform to work with.
    Pyrodex "P" works just fine in all my BP revolvers unless I booger something up. Goes bang every time with factory or aftermarket cones.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel View Post
    Don't encapsulate like a rifle, just load powder, insert a FELT lubricated wad, set and seat the ball so the ball is slightly less than flush with the chamber face.

Attachment 125041
    OK, your method is what I currently use. When you said "patch" my mind went to PRB!

I have a 1972 Uberti London Navy colt, have had it for nearly 30 years. I now understand why Hickok carried a pair. I points beautifully. I have been using it for cowboy action. I use fffg black, with a greased felt over powder wad, .378 ball. Little fouling.

cheers

heelerau
    Keep yor hoss well shod an' yo powda dry !

Boolit Master
    Lube sticks: make up a batch of lube with paraffin, beeswax, Crisco, etc.
    Remove the barrel and plug the muzzle.
    Pour the lube mixture down the barrel and let it set for a minute or two.
    Push it out with a dowel.
    Now you have lube sticks from which you can cut lube pills (over or under roundballs) that perfectly fit your gun.

Original 1851 Colt .36 being fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    Lube sticks: make up a batch of lube with paraffin, beeswax, Crisco, etc.
    Remove the barrel and plug the muzzle.
    Pour the lube mixture down the barrel and let it set for a minute or two.
    Push it out with a dowel.
    Now you have lube sticks from which you can cut lube pills (over or under roundballs) that perfectly fit your gun.

That's pretty neat - Thanks for posting your idea.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast