Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems getting RCBS pro melt running

Boolit Buddy

Problems getting RCBS pro melt running

Just got a new pro melt and had trouble getting it running. Followed the enclosed directions for the first melt and thepot kept tripping the gfci outlet it was on prior to melting any lead. Did the same thing on two different outlets. Used the old Lee to melt lead and get a few inches in the pro melt. No problems after that, melted the rest of the ingots fine and held a reasonable temp. Is this typical?

Super Moderator

I had the same exact problem when I first got my RCBS pot. The "putty" within the heating coil has a small amount of moisture in it when brand new, and causes the gfi to trip. Plug it into a non-gfi outlet for your first couple of casting sessions, with an extension cord if need be. Then you should be good to go.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Same here.... I don't know what it is.... but it won't work on my GFCI either. So I ran a 100' 12ga cord around the other side of the house... works great! LOL
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Banned

best pot in the world.

Boolit Master
    I had to change the GFI out to reg receptacle for that reason. Had a coffee pot do same thing if plugged in to the GFI. If I went to another that was on same line it didn't trip. Must be something to do with the heating element.

Boolit Buddy
    Ive had it happen on this model and others like the Magma. fwiw, Magma specifically addresses this issue on their instructions for the master caster. They describe it (the tripping of a GFCI) outlet as a characteristic of band heaters that are used in this application, as opposed to an error with their unit. Kind of like what another member mentioned. They've mentioned that at some point after turning the unit on, the same issue shouldn't persist. Meaning, you could switch to a GFCI unit at some point after it's been on.

I deal with the same issues whenever I start my machines--always an issue. Translates to me having extension cords snaked in and out of the garage. Looks ridiculous but like you mentioned otherwise you end up going back to your pot, ready to cast, and realize its cold

To avoid getting around safety issues, seems like adding a non GFCI outlet that doesn't impact the others in the chain is best. No,clue how to do that though

Enjoy your RCBS pot while you deal with the elect issues

Quote Originally Posted by gunoil View Post
    best pot in the world.
    You need to come to British Columbia .CA ( OOPS! That is for a different thread)! All Kidding aside I finally bought a Pro Melt and do not know how I lived without it!

Boolit Grand Master

Do those pots have a UL sticker? If so it should be reported. Sounds like the bean counters have been busy at our expense.
    If it trips a GFI, there is something amiss.

Mine did the same thing. I found it did it on one gfci circuit in the garage, but not another that was close by. I know gfci's get temperamental sometimes. Swapped what outlet I plug it into and no problems since.

i had a dishwasher that did the same thing, but not all the time. What a pain in the behind to figure out there was a gfci outlet behind the washer. Wasn't thrilled to have to pull out the dishwasher twice to ouch the reset. I fixed that problem with a trip to the hdwe store for a new outlet. father in law is a 30+ appliance salesman and repair man,,,he said dishwashers are notorious for this.

Boolit Master

The inrush of current to a large resistive load (heating element) will trip a GFI. It prevents a large resistive body (human) from being a great conductor of electricity when standing in water and shaving in the bathroom, from being fried. Some devices just are not a good fit with GFI outlets.

Boolit Master

same here--had to change one out and now works fine. Small price to pay for the Pro Melt
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Mold
    Interesting, . . . I took my new one apart a few weeks ago to make some modifications. One of the things I noticed was the unit wasn't grounded as well as I like. The ground wire (green) was terminated with an insulated ring connector and then pop-riveted to the inside of the powder coated body. Although I didn't run a meter across it, I suspected the connection wasn't ideal due to the paint. My suspicion was also enhanced after removing the rivet and seeing a thick coat of paint inside/outside and through the rivet hole. After scrubbing the inside paint off with a bit of emery cloth and a small bolt and nut, I felt I had a better ground. I don't know, maybe I'm too picky and it may not have made even a tiny bit of difference, but it was something I noticed and thought I'd pass it along.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Good info here.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Buddy
    Once I got a lead level it has not had the problem again. I wonder if the elements get hotter initially without the liquid to transfer heat to?

Boolit Buddy
    Lead remains in both of my pots--I have 2.

I tested what I described in my post above and it works.

In my garage I have all GFCI outlet except for one. but I have two pots

I plugged the first pot in the standard outlet and let the temp raise to appx 300degrees.

then, I disconnected it and plugged it in the GFCI outlet. Guess what? ...the fuse didn't trip.

This allowed me to run the second unit off the standard plug and maintain the other unit from the GFCI outlet.

This non-working/working state at different times speaks to this characteristic of the heater.

If you can free up a standard outlet for an initial warm-up, this'll be a non issue.

Generous Donator

Dishwashers need GFCI and Arc Fault CI if your state/jurisdiction has adopted the 2014 NEC. This would be on new installations or remodels. almost any 3 prong heating unit will trip a GFCI. Freezers and refrigerators are also exempt from having GFCI's. Using an electrical pressure washer with a GFCI on the cord will usually cause problems if you plug it into a GFCI outlet.

Glad I read this thread! I feel better now. Santa was good to me this year and left an RCBS Pro Melt under the tree. Finally said goodbye to my old Lee Sir Drip-a-Lot. First time I turned on the RCBS, standard non-GFCI outlet, it blew the circuit breaker! The gun room is on a dedicated breaker and only the lights were on so I knew the circuit wasn't overloaded. Needless to say, I was pretty nervous about my new toy. Since then I've poured approximately 60 Lbs. of lead with out a reoccurrence. As a side note, I didn't realize how enjoyable casting could be not having to stop every pour to fiddle with drips and leaks. I think I've discovered a tiny piece of casting Heaven!

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 18Bravo View Post
    Glad I read this thread! I feel better now. Santa was good to me this year and left an RCBS Pro Melt under the tree. Finally said goodbye to my old Lee Sir Drip-a-Lot. First time I turned on the RCBS, standard non-GFCI outlet, it blew the circuit breaker! The gun room is on a dedicated breaker and only the lights were on so I knew the circuit wasn't overloaded. Needless to say, I was pretty nervous about my new toy. Since then I've poured approximately 60 Lbs. of lead with out a reoccurrence. As a side note, I didn't realize how enjoyable casting could be not having to stop every pour to fiddle with drips and leaks. I think I've discovered a tiny piece of casting Heaven!
    Build a frame so that the Lee will fit over the top of the RCBS so you can keep it topped off.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Down South View Post
    Build a frame so that the Lee will fit over the top of the RCBS so you can keep it topped off.
    Wow! Now you have me thinking. I've got this picture in my head of a lead version of a Mr. Coffee maker...drip....drip...drip.
    I think what I'll do is find someone I don't like that wants to get into casting and give the old pot to him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast