Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2PBcastcoReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1885 Low wall Uberti 32-20

Boolit Master

1885 Low wall Uberti 32-20

I wanting a new rifle and looking for a 32-20. Been considering a lever gun and found the Low wall. I will be shooting informal offhand target shooting. This seems to be my favorite pastime now. Just wondering if anyone is shooting a 32-20. My main concern is the 30" barrel. There is not a large selection of .314 molds out there. The ones I have found do not have large grease grooves. Will this be a problem with such a long barrel. Im not looking for hot loads. Maybe trail boss or other light charges. Any opinions would be appreciated. Just trying to make my mind up. This one will have to be back ordered but that's ok.

Im also looking to add high quality tang sight and front sight.

Boolit Master

Sounds like you're in tall cotton with that Low Wall in 32/20 for off hand shooting. That's a favorite style of shooting for me and that 30" barrel ought to "hang" just right.

Several brands of lube should work well thinks I. My 1898 Krag with a 30" barrel does just fine with 32/20 115 grain boolits using NRA 50/50 lube or even swaged 32 calibre Speer (wax lubed and .314 diameter) hollow base wadcutters.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 12-15-2014 at 11:25 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

Yup!! Snagged onto of those last spring and now it seems to find a way to tag along almost every time I go to the range. Groove dia. on mine slugs at .310 right on the money and produces excellent accuracy (sub-2 m.o.a. @ 100M) with the 115 gr. 311008 sized .312 loaded over 6.8 gr of AA #5.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

You guys are killin' me. If only I had a Low Wall with a tang rear sight, globe front sight and a 30" barrel... I've got to get one of those! It would fit right in with the German game of Schuetzen off hand shooting with a long toed/hooked butt plate.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 12-16-2014 at 03:24 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Like This
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 32-20.jpg  

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    You guys are killin' me. If only I had a Low Wall with a tang rear sight, globe front sight and a 30" barrel... I've got to get one of those! It would fit right in with the German game of Schuetzen off hand shooting with a long toed/hooked butt plate.
    Or, maybe, like this? Sights are a Lee Shaver Mid-Range with a Lyman 17A on the front end.

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    I placed a order with Buffalo Arms today. They are expected in some time near March which is fine with me. Feels good to get this nailed down. I talked with C Sharps about a 1/12 twist 38/55 he did not seem excited. Im going to buy a 38/55 or 40/70 next year. I may end up buying a Winchester or Browning and having it re-barreled to what I want.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    Or, maybe, like this? Sights are a Lee Shaver Mid-Range with a Lyman 17A on the front end.
    Wow that is nice. I was back and forth about the pistol grip but decided against it in the end.

Looking at your set up do you think that a Schuetzen sight would be tall enough. I thought that having a couple different Heights of Kelly staffs and the bases for all the 1885 would let me interchange sights between a few guns. May need to have some windage adjustable sights on the front to keep the rear the same for each gun that it is used on.

Boolit Master
    mine has a Schuetzen sight by Hoke...plenty of elevation...front sight is Pedersoli
    Single set trigger....I move the Hoke sight between the 32-20 and a 22lr Uberti Low Wall
    The mid range I move between a Sharps in 40-65, CPA in 38-50Rem, and a Hepburn in 38-50Rem
    Just buy the bases from Kermit

Boolit Master
    Is the gun in the picture a Uberti? If it is what did you do to the wood?

Boolit Buddy
    Slight hijack - On these BP/Schuetzen Off hand style rifles - Other than looks - why use the tiny Lyman 17a front sight and not a typical high-power (Big Bore) size front sight.

Geoff in Oregon

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    Is the gun in the picture a Uberti? If it is what did you do to the wood?
    Actually, it's a 'Cimarron Arms' (made by Uberti) and that's the way it came out of the box. I bought the gun off a consignment auction and, when I first saw the pics in the online sale listing, I called Cimarron and asked about the wood. According to the gentleman I spoke with, it's a special order "extra fancy" grade and MAY have been imported for a trade-show sample. Gun was sold as "LINB" but, after I got it home, a lightly oiled patch run through the bore showed only the slightest traces of powder fouling so it may not have been fired, at all, after it left the factory.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 12-17-2014 at 07:35 PM.

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gunor View Post
    Slight hijack - On these BP/Schuetzen Off hand style rifles - Other than looks - why use the tiny Lyman 17a front sight and not a typical high-power (Big Bore) size front sight.
    Because an extra 17A was what I had on-hand when I brought it home and, with a Lee Shaver fine-wire insert, it works just fine for me.

Bill

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

Probably a little esoteric too. I think that a Redfield or Mid Tomkins high-power sight would look out of place on such a slender and petite rifle. Same on my Marlin lever guns where I use the Lyman 17A sight.

Rest assured though, that I use both the Redfield or Mid Tomkins' sights on my Winchester Model 70 match rifles with their heavy 26" bull barrels. They look and function perfectly on those beasts.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Larry,
    Accurate is your friend where it comes to moulds. For sights, check out the Kelly front with a level and Kermit Hoke, kshoke@comcast.net for the best tang vernier sight that you are going to get. His price is very competetive.

If you get this rifle, I think you will be pleased. I have a .32-20 Marlin 94 that has become my always with me rifle unless large animals are in the offering. As a lever action, the Marlin is no match rifle but it does minute of prairie dog out to 200 yards and is sure death on coyotes within that range.

Get the rifle and slug the bore. Accurate will make what ever size you need. I will send you some bullets from my mould to try. Unless you intend to shoot black powder, most mould designs save for the Lee Tumble Lube designs will carry enough lube to do the job. 9 to 10 grain of 2400 under a plain base 105 grain bullet will do everything you could hope for.
    Dan

Boolit Master
    Thanks Dan, I may try black powder but I ordered the gun with intention of shooting light smokeless loads. Im looking at the Kelley Schuetzen Soule Sight and the Kelley Long Globe Front Sight with sprit level. Cant wait to get this on in.

Boolit Master
    Just checking out Accurate molds and they make a 110 gr bullet with huge lube grove for black powder! Im going to have to try that one.

I have an original Winchester which has been relined and shoot boolits from an original mould.It shoots well for a rifle that is coming 120 years old!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    Just checking out Accurate molds and they make a 110 gr bullet with huge lube grove for black powder! Im going to have to try that one.
    I have one of those. It works great for shooting the 32-20 with lower grade black powder (or my homemade) and not fouling out. But it is not nearly as accurate as a #3118 and if you use good powder the #3118 doesn't foul out either, even in a rifle length barrel. It's a good cowboy action boolit but I don't use it for silhouette any more, too many misses.

-Nobade

Google "Dick Dastardly Big Lube Bullets." He has a bunch of custom made moulds cut by Lee, and they are designed with huge lube grooves. The point behind his bullet design was to make black powder cartridges with lots of lube, but they'll work with smokeless, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast