Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersPBcastcoInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Fire forming 30-30 to 38-55

Boolit Mold

Fire forming 30-30 to 38-55

My shooting range has very strict rules about keeping the muzzle downrange. Has anyone tried fireforming 30-30 to 38-55 by using a wood plug as a bullet to help increase the pressure? I have read here that firing with the muzzle vertical is the best method, but not allowed at my range.
    thanks

I just used an elliptical expander (.375") and loaded with 18 gr 4198 & 255 gr boolits and shot them. I think I probably expanded in 2 steps from 30 cal .338, to .375. or used .358 expander then to .375" Lube the I.D. of the mouth with a Q-tip.

When I load and fire I index the cartridge with head stamp; such as RP or WW at 12 o'clock position when chambering and when inserting into shell holder.

The cartridges will be a little short when forming from 30-30 brass.

I have fire formed plenty of .38-55's by shooting a wax crayon into a cardboard box of rags on the floor and they come out fine. 5 grains of Unique and some corn meal or flour under the crayon plug.

Boolit Master
    I have fire formed 38-55 from 30-30 in almost the same way as marvelshooter, think I used a little more unique and topped off with Cream of Wheat and a wax plug. Fired horizontal at home fire forming, but I know some of us can't do that due to neighbors. Works well but be aware that the finished case is in the 2.000 OAL range, and that didn't work out well in my Winchester 94. In a single shot could be OK. I like the Starline new cases that are 2.085, or they seam best for my application. I gave up on the fire forming of 30-30 and 32 special brass into 38-55 at least for my application.
    Chris

Boolit Master

I have done it with a method very similar to marvelshooter. Your formed 38-55 brass will be a little short. (No real problem especially if you need to use an oversized Boolit) . I have had problems with brass separation at the old 30-30 neck to shoulder. Annealing would help but I'm with cwheel. With good brass available I'll not bother with it.

I did anneal the cases down to below the shoulder and only lost 1 or 2 out of 100. I did this fire forming to give me some cases to use while waiting for Starline to make another run of 2.125 cases which I am now using.

Ya, 30-30 ends up way too short if you make 38-55 out of them.

-Nobade