RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 32 H&R Velocities

Boolit Buddy

32 H&R Velocities

I've been doing some load development for a Ruger Single Six in 32 H&R Mag with a 6.5" barrel. I'm loading for hunting jack rabbits and my goal was to push the 32-098-SWC cast from straight wheel weights between 1,000 fps to about 1,200 fps. I started low and worked up for all powders but H110. The Sierra manual (#13) I have lists H110 loads for a 100 grain jacketed boolit between 9.5 and 10.5 grains. I started at 10 grains and worked up from there. The velocities I was getting were far higher than any of the other powders and also what the manual listed for the jacketed boolit. I expected velocities would be higher than jacketed but not as high as they were. The 10.0 grain charge averaged 1,280 fps and by the time I got to 10.5 grains it averaged 1,340. I only got a couple of sticky extractions at the 10.5 grain load so I backed down to 10.3 and settled there. The load is the most accurate of all the powders/charges I tested for the velocity range I'm interested in so I'm going to stick with it. It's a screamer though. Has anyone else reached velocities in excess of 1,300 fps with H110 in a similar revolver chambered in 32 H&R? If so, do you think the pressures exceed the SAAMI max much? I don't think it'll do any harm if so since I haven't seen any excess pressure signs at this velocity/charge but I'm interested to know what others have experienced.

Thanks, Gene

In that gun exceeding SAAMI max pressures is a non issue. The .32 H&R is factory loaded to .38 special pressures (about 22,000 psi.). Your procedure Should be fine.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have played with the 32 Magnum and both WW-296 and H-110, at and a little above the weight range you have given, using both the RCBS 32-98-SWC and Lyman #313631. Like you, I obtained fine accuracy and a bit higher velocity than I expected; I was into the 1400 FPS range once 100% loading density was reached. Small pistol standard primers did well, with nicely small SDs and ESs on the velocity readings. SP Magnum primers--worked up separately--gave significantly larger variances.

The most comprehensive listing of load data for the 32 Magnum and cast bullets I found in the "RCBS Cast Bullet Manual, No. 1" (1986). My copies are still boxed in the garage, but I do recall a wide array of powder selections from that source. My own research has shown that AA-9, WC-820, and Alliant 2400 have given my the highest velocities with attendant accuracy in this caliber. My current platform in this caliber (S&W Model 16-4 x 6") far prefers 95-105 grain castings to the 115-125 grainers; the 32-20s tend toward the 115-125 grainers generally.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    While your Ruger will handle heavy loads which exceed standard pressure, the best use of the .32 H&R Magnum is as a small game gun to shoot meat for the pot, and it is unnecessary to exceed the ballistics of the .32-20 Winchester blackpowder load, which in a 6" revolver will be subsonic with a 115-120 grain bullet such as the Ideal #3118 or Saeco #322.

Heavier loads can of course be used for varmint shooting and to flatten trajectory to make hits at longer ranges easier. The Ruger is superior for such use, but as a MEAT GUN, you will be best served by a soft, solid lead, flatnosed bullet from 100-120 grains, propelled by modest charges of economical, fast-burning powders, such as 3 grains of Bullseye powder, my favorite load, which gives about 1000 fps in a 6-inch barrel, penetrates deeply, kills cleanly AND you can eat right up to the bullet hole! An efficient handgun load does not need to make your hand sting and your ears ring. As I get older I like to keep what hearing I have left and find that modest guns and loads are most enjoyable.

If seeking a mold Accurate's 31-114D is the one which I prefer.

Attachment 124585

Boolit Grand Master
    No argument with Outpost 75's text. 90% of my Magnum revolver reloading gets done at "sub-sonic" velocities with "standard-weight" SWC castings. The high-velocity loads I spoke of are eardrum drills very much like the 30 Carbine Ruger Blackhawk; these require both plugs and muffs for your ears while shooting. Marketing types have tried mightily to sell both the 32 H&R Magnum and now the 327 Federal as self-defense chamberings--the true value of both calibers is as a small game and varmint caliber that does far better work than the 22 LR but can be reloaded very inexpensively. Neither gunmakers nor ammomakers are about to tout any caliber's positive traits as a reloadable cartridge, though--feral refillers like us are persona non grata to that lot.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I'm blessed to have a 6.5" Single Six. I'll admit to having cracked 1400 fps using WC820 and NOE 314008. I don't have a use for that load other than exhilaration, so I rarely go back there. I find 1000 to 1200 fps to be much more entertaining.

Only bad thing about that Single Six is it doesn't leave enough room for me to get excited about a Single Seven in 327.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for the info Gents. I never set out to get anything much over 1,200 fps since I want to use the revolver mostly for jack rabbit hunting (edible antelope jacks - AZ's original fast food, not the mangy black-tail type), so I wasn't thrilled when those boolits came screaming out of the muzzle. I couldn't ignore the accuracy though, and since most jack shots start at around 50 yards I'm not too upset considering the boolit will shed a lot of that by the time it finds it's mark, which in most cases is about 100 yards behind or 10 yards in front of the rabbit. With my luck though I'll hit 'em all in the hind quarters on the next trip.

Boolit Grand Master
    I only have the mangy blacktailed variety of jackrabbit available here in the Worker's Paradise, and once hit they feed coyotes and buzzards AFAIC. That said, the 32 Magnum has been a first-rate whacker of jacks for me. They number in the hundreds by the 32 Magnum, and have been its principal quarry since it arrived in 1989. The RCBS SWCs at 900-1000 FPS don't create inordinate damage, but anchor the critters MUCH better than 22 LR from long or short barrels. The 32 Magnum is a natural-born jack harvester.

I never have been able to work up very hot loads for my single six, because the base pin kept jumping out.

That being said, one of the most accurate loads I ever tried from that gun was a case full of h110 under a 120 gn HP bullet. I never killed anything with it though, because I quit playing with it after my trouble with the base pin.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    I never have been able to work up very hot loads for my single six, because the base pin kept jumping out.

That being said, one of the most accurate loads I ever tried from that gun was a case full of h110 under a 120 gn HP bullet. I never killed anything with it though, because I quit playing with it after my trouble with the base pin.
    Just curious but did you try replacing the base pin with one of the Belt Mountain locking pins? I put 'em in all but one brand new Ruger and they're really nice for the money. You'll end up with tighter lock-up and they'll stay put even with heavy loads.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    I only have the mangy blacktailed variety of jackrabbit available here in the Worker's Paradise, and once hit they feed coyotes and buzzards AFAIC. That said, the 32 Magnum has been a first-rate whacker of jacks for me. They number in the hundreds by the 32 Magnum, and have been its principal quarry since it arrived in 1989. The RCBS SWCs at 900-1000 FPS don't create inordinate damage, but anchor the critters MUCH better than 22 LR from long or short barrels. The 32 Magnum is a natural-born jack harvester.
    Amen Brother! Jacks can be surprisingly tough. I've been hunting them with a Single Six 22 mag which works well but sometimes they'll go a ways even when hit right in the boiler plate. A head shot of course will anchor them on the spot but it's a small target out past 50 yards or so. Most shots I've taken are beyond 50 so I have to agree that the 32 H&R is the better cartridge for Jack hunting.

Does anyone go after coyotes withe .32 magnum and the RCBS 98 grn. Swc?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've not had the chance to test-drive my loads in 32 Magnum on coyotes, though not from lack of trying. Most of my song dogs have fallen to rifles, because handguns are secondary tools when I'm coyote hunting. The high velocity 32-20 and 25-20 in lever rifles are SPLENDID coyote rounds, and I have scored hits with both castings and j-words in both calibers to 150 yards. Based on jackrabbit results, the RCBS SWC at 900-1000 FPS would suffice on coyotes to 75 yards, and the 1200-1300 FPS loads would stretch things to 100 yards, perhaps a taste more.

Quote Originally Posted by ejcrist View Post
    Just curious but did you try replacing the base pin with one of the Belt Mountain locking pins? I put 'em in all but one brand new Ruger and they're really nice for the money. You'll end up with tighter lock-up and they'll stay put even with heavy loads.
    No, I never did. I figured it was fine just shooting mellow loads out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Does anyone go after coyotes withe .32 magnum and the RCBS 98 grn. Swc?
    Not with that bullet, but I did pop a coyote with my single six a few weeks ago at about 30 yards. He ran about 20 yards and piled up. Buller did not exit, but it was only a 85gn bullet over a light dose of reddot.

Another illustration of loads/ctgs that aren't supposed to be sufficient being deadly. Somebody else here killed a deer with a popgun load in a 32-20.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master

Has anyone tried LilGun in the 32 ? may be able to get higher velocties with safe pressures as with my experince with the 22 hornet and 357 mag.

Boolit Grand Master
    Bob, that is an intriguing question. About the time I got comfortable with and curious about Lil Gun in my rollers and 22 Hornet, the stuff became unobtainium along with much other componentry. I'm not one to rush out and be the first on the block to test drive new tooling and materials, and in this instance that trait may have worked to my detriment.

I'm pretty satisfied with the idea that the 32 H&R Magnum as birthed by Federal Cartridge and H&R/NEF was anemically under-loaded in deference to the delicate H&R/NEF revolvers in which it was initially housed. In an arm of sufficient strength--the Single-Six SSM series or the S&W K-frames--performance like that of the 327 Federal can be approached. I have run Lyman #313631 to 1400 FPS in my S&W Model 16-4 x 6", and the loads are accurate--the brass and primers don't seem to be strained/stressed, but the report is LOUD AND OBNOXIOUS--just like that of the 30 Carbine Blackhawk. Running the RCBS 32-98-SWC at 900-1100 FPS has become my "go-to" load in this caliber for field use--not quite so blasty, incredibly accurate, and very economical to load. Now--if I can only get a song dog to cooperate with the last phase of the testing process......

I really need to get a mold of more appropriate weight for the cartridge. The heavy bullet I use, although it shoots very well, is a bit much for a case that only fits 7 gn of powder

Boolit Grand Master

I have an original run Single Six with 6 1/2" barrel. My most used load is the Hornady 90 gr swaged SWC or the mostly the Lee counterpart; the TL 314-90-SWC. I load either over 3 gr Bullseye for 1005 fps out of the Ruger. That load is very pleasant to shoot and very accurate. It also kills most small game quite well with the exception of jack rabbits and coyotes both of which can be very tenacious. For my magnum level loads I prefer a soft cast SWC HP'd and GC'd. I use the Lyman designed for the .32 H&R; 313631 which is a 105 gr SWC.

I've extensively tested the following loads in my Ruger Single Six All loads except factory in Starline cases with WSP primers);

Federal Lead SWC/1024 fps
    Federal 85 gr JHP/1038 fps
    Lee TL314-90-SWC/3 gr Bullseye/1005 fps
    313631/10.5 gr H110/1275 fps
    313631/5.5 gr Unique/1284 fps
    313/631/6 gr Unique/1351 fps
    311316 (118 gr GC'd 32-20 bullet)/10.5 gr H110/1174 fps

I also have a Contender 10" barrel in 32 H&R that I pressure test with but just haven't gotten around to pressure testing the above loads yet.....too many other irons in the fire but will get around to it one of these days.

Larry Gibson

Attachment 124744

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast