RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 32 H&R Velocities

Boolit Master
    The base pin popping out is an easy fix. It's just that the "groove" in the pin is not profiled right.

Take the cylinder out and the base pin out. Watch how far the catch pin travels when the base pin is out.

Now put the base pin in and see how far the catch travels. I'll bet it is held short of where it traveled when the pin is out.

Put the pin in a drill(mini lathe) Use a round needle file to open up the groove. Don't make it wider, just round out the groove a bit and retry it.

When the catch travels all the way over like it does when the pin is out, you are done and the base pin will no longer jump out.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Case volume problems with the heavier 115 gr. boolits can be solved somewhat with something like a NOE 314640 RNFPHPGC. It's the one with three crimp grooves. It is also longer in front of the case, and just fits in my Ruger single six. The 311316 version that I have has a crimp groove, and is longer inside the case than anything else I have. The 311008 can be crimped in the front lube groove. No gas check, and the 640 (has gas check) is still shorter inside the case. You probly would want a gas check as the only reason for seating out might be for higher velocity loads.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

The bullet I use fills the cylinder right to the end crimped in the crimp groove. It was designed for the 7.62x39

130 grainer or more? NOE also has a 129 RNGCHP design but it is both longer in front of the case and inside the case (though not bad for a 130). I really like it for 327 loads. As most folks here have thought a 115 too heavy for the H&R mag, and like 100gr boolits better, I am guessing that they have a point and that it is internal volume.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

The noe 130 hp is the one I use. But it cast a bit lighter from accoww

Boolit Buddy
    Using Lil'Gun under the RCBS 32-98 SWC gets me right around 1300 fps in both my Single Six and Single Seven. Impressively accurate too without being obnoxiously loud.

For general purpose I like the RCBS 32-98 SWC or the Lyman 311008 over enough Unique (near Oregon Trail's manual max) to get them going 1050 fps. For small game hunting I'm using either bullet near the Hodgdon starting charge for W231 which jogs along a bit shy of 900 fps.

I dearly love my 32 Single Six but I will admit my Single Seven is winning me over as a trail gun. I like having five heavy (less velocity, milder report) 327 rounds ready to go backed up by two light 32 H&R loads five clicks away for Grouse. I've also found that hot 32 Long loads print pretty close to the 327 Load I use most so is easy to sort out a poke full of rounds in my pocket for different purposes, small game/plinking 32 long - Coyote 32 H&R - longer shots 327.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leftiye View Post
    130 grainer or more? NOE also has a 129 RNGCHP design but it is both longer in front of the case and inside the case (though not bad for a 130). I really like it for 327 loads. As most folks here have thought a 115 too heavy for the H&R mag, and like 100gr boolits better, I am guessing that they have a point and that it is internal volume.
    I've been messing with the 32 Magnum for almost 30 years, and although it is a small sample size (2 revolvers) the caliber has shot slightly better for me with 85-100 grain bullets than it has with the heavier slugs. My biases favor "heavier for caliber" bullets in most chamberings, but a whole lot of shooting has borne out for me that in 32 Magnum the lighter half of the bullet spectrum has done more accurate work. I hadn't given much thought to the "why", but your point about internal volume makes as much sense as any other possible cause.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

I have been shooting a NOE 115gr. PB boolit, pushed by 3.5gr. of Red Dot. Have not had a chance of giving the load a real test..... just been plinking with it in my Buckeye and Single Seven. Sure shoots well!
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Boolit Master
    I load the SAECO #325 in my 6 inch 32 H&R. It weighs 104 grains from WW. It chronographs 1200 fps. I don't use any powder slower than Blue Dot. Good loads are possible with Unique. Something like H110/296 is much too slow for these light bullets. Much sound and fury signifying nothing. By the time these bullets reach 100 yards neither you or the jackrabbit will notice the difference.

I think you're right about powder burning rate. How does blue Dot work for you (anybody's response welcome)?

I used some blue dot in mine, but normally use reddot because I have a lot of it.

Boolit Buddy
    I've used 2400 with very good accuracy. If I could get more 2400 I'd definitely use it.

But, like Bullshop Junior, I have a good supply of Red Dot and get just as good accuracy.

Boolit Master
    I used to use blue dot in .30 carbine with the little Lee semi wad cutter sized to .310 worked well in my auto mag III and the Blackhawk . I had to back off a .5 gr for the Rock o la for the possible fear of hurting the old gal .

Boolit Grand Master
    I have yet to try Blue Dot in the 32 Magnum; it is one of few pistol fuels I haven't tried, though. Small lots of H-110 and WW-296 loaded ammo did not get to the velocities that AA-9/WC-820 or 2400 achieved. 110 and 296 ARE NOT getting compressed where I live, but did get tried to 100% density.......just can't get enough into the case. This might be where the 327 Federal makes a difference with its case length and powder capacity. Herco can meet and exceed AA-9/WC-820 speeds, so Blue Dot might be a good idea. Once I got the #313631 to 1425 FPS with Herco and obtained accuracy, the loads' report discouraged going any further with velocity games. Once past 1200 FPS, the 32 Mag gets almost as blasty as the 30 Carbine Blackhawk. The whole enchilada is a lot more pleasant to hunt with running the RCBS 32-98-SWC at 1100 FPS, and downright tractable at 950 FPS.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

A local shop will be getting a .327 fed mag. They will be Ruger single sevens. I've been waiting for a long time for a .32 caliber so this information is gold. Where would a good place to look for heavy weight boolits since I cannot cast yet due to location

Al thanks for the HV info. I will be doing the hot load thing for sure, though not only going hot. To paraphrase something I heard ("if I want a bigger gun, I'll go to a bigger gun") - if I want a lesser gun I'll go to a lesser gun. But there are reasons in this and the 32-20 (as well as others) for not going all out (blast in 32s is painful, meat damage on small game beyond about 1600 fps, etc). And I will also be loading some plinking rounds. But I generally won't waste the time and resources to reload anything but the best load I can imagine.

Boolit Grand Master
    Leftiye, something that occurred to me shooting the 32-20 in rifles caused me to rein in the velocity games, and your comments about damage to small game species reminded me of same.

The 32-20 loaded to 1882-level blackpowder levels--115 grain bullets at 1100-1200 FPS--does very good work on small game for the pot and on varmints of the same size. It drops them with authority, but doesn't shred them into carnage fodder. From what I've seen at higher speeds, the 32-20 hitting at much over 1400 FPS really starts shredding the critters something awful, even with #311316 in 92/6/2. I have run these at 1800 FPS/muzzle for jacks, and out to 150 yards the critters still get pretty torn up. Having that in mind, it occurred to me that high velocity loadings of 32 caliber in either rifle or revolver had limited usefulness.......varmints only, both 2- and 4-legged.

Actually in my single six, I'm looking at 1200 fps as a target with 115 gr boolits. Shouldn't be too fast for usefulness. With a solid, it will be possible to survive a social engagement, and kick donkey on everything else. 3118s might be quite a bit slower.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a 6½" Ruger SSM that shot the group buy 314120 RNFP very well in front of enough LIL'GUN for 1220 fps. My memory says six rounds in <1¼" at 25 yards from a very solid rest; but we all know what remembered groups are like. The problem was that it needed somewhere around 0.10-0.125" more front sight. It did not like the 95 gr Lyman 313445 in front of W231 at all.

Then too, I got to wondering just how much pressure that load developed, and decided if I wanted that sort of performance I was better off using an already owned .357 instead of possibly straining the little SSM.

That was a few years ago, since then the eyes have decided the back/ hips / and knees have the right idea and are slowing down. If I ever get the right combination figured out for glasses, I have a bunch of 100 grain SWC's cast and waiting.

Robert

Boolit Master

I like the Lee TL314-90 boolit but am hampered by the two cavity mold. Sure wish Lee would make a six cavity. One can always hope!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast