RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T/C Contender .357 Max - advice

Boolit Grand Master

T/C Contender .357 Max - advice

An open question to y'all: I'm looking for a .357 Max barrel for a T/C Contender youth rifle. What should I be looking for in the way of features, rate of twist for 180 to 215 gr boolits and what should I be looking for as far as how the chamber is cut? Who provides good barrels. I suspect the barrel length should be in the area of 16" to 18"'s or so. Appreciate your thoughts and advice.

Boolit Master

If you can not find a Contender, look seriously at one of the Handi Rifles in 357 Mag and ream it out. Encore also, but barrel alone would cost what a complete Handi would. Custom Contender barrel will be pricey too if Ed or someone on the web does not have one at bargain basement price.

I have only shot pistol length barrels but 180s at 1750 fps out of 10" tube gives one a hint what could be expected with 18 - 20" tube.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    To get a good idea on the T/C's in 357 Max, I recommend going to Mike Bellm's web site. I believe it's www.bellmtc.com. The 357max is his favorite caliber and a lot of info there for it
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Master
    I have an older Contender with a 14" barrel in 357Maximum.
    Its my go to handgun for Illinois deer and quite accurate.
    22grs of 296 and 180gr Hornady I chrono'd at 1800fps
    Last deer I shot, my aim was a little off and hit the shoulder instead of right behind it, but ended up breaking BOTH shoulders! Couldn't believe the penetration.
    I would think in a small rifle would be an excellent caliber. Easy to load and easy recoil.

Boolit Grand Master
    Went to the Bellm site. Lots of good info, especially about the configuration of the chamber / throat variations. Have emailed them and am awaiting a reply. In the mean time, in the spirit of shopping around, does anybody have any other Contender barrel makers they can recommend? Would like to put together a really nice little rifle for somebody special.

Boolit Master
    does anybody have any other Contender barrel makers they can recommend
    Match Grade Machine

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    An open question to y'all: I'm looking for a .357 Max barrel for a T/C Contender youth rifle. What should I be looking for in the way of features, rate of twist for 180 to 215 gr boolits and what should I be looking for as far as how the chamber is cut? Who provides good barrels. I suspect the barrel length should be in the area of 16" to 18"'s or so. Appreciate your thoughts and advice.
    Try this link.
    http://www.eabco.com/cntndr01.html
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Buddy
    Fer shure on Match Grade barrels! Got a 22" 7.62x25 and a 20" 357.

Boolit Master
    Then 357 mag can be loaded near 357 max loads since most Contenders have load throats. Look for info on internet

Boolit Grand Master
    OK. I sent an inquiry to MGM to see what they can do. Also sent an inquiry to Bellm but so far no response.

Boolit Master
    I've got a MGM barrel on my Encore in 357Max. 12 twist and it shoots 250-300gr cast well. Fun gun.

Call Ed's contenders http://www.edstc.com/contact.html He might have one in stock.

Boolit Master
    I have a Contender carbine in 357 max. and have found it to be very versatile. As a plinking small game rifle, I use the Lee 150 gr RNPB with Unique at 1250 FPS at the muzzle and it is very accurate out to 125 yards with my iron sights. Recoil is very pleasant. As a light bear rifle for smaller bears at ranges under 100 yards, heavier gas checked SWC boolits at 1850 FPS with 2400 powder have nearly the same point of aim as the plinker. Above that velocity with the heavier boolits, the light weight carbine vibrates unpleasantly under the recoil.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Went to the Bellm site. Lots of good info, especially about the configuration of the chamber / throat variations. Have emailed them and am awaiting a reply. In the mean time, in the spirit of shopping around, does anybody have any other Contender barrel makers they can recommend? Would like to put together a really nice little rifle for somebody special.
    I had Bellm rechamber a 357 mag barrel to max for me. The work is impeccable & the accuracy is great. Haven't shot it much yet, but will put a scope on it & wring it out this spring!
    Last edited by clum553946; 12-24-2014 at 02:04 PM.

Boolit Master
    Bullberry makes excellent Contender barrels. Very pricey these days. I have a carbine semi-bull barrel from him in 7x30 Waters that is a pure pleasure. He does great work.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	357 Max TC half.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	125487
    handy little setup.
    18" Barrel by Bellm.
    TC (Ryolite ?) stock.
    Williams sights.

Boolit Master

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	125499

I had MGM make me a 18" 357 max barrel last year and it has worked great for me. I really love this cartridge and the short rifle really shined in the treestand this winter. It was just so easy to handle.
    Ill keep my guns money and freedom you keep the CHANGE!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm getting all excited about this project. Both Beerd & glocky's photos are what I'm after. Short, light & handy. Thanks to all for the information. Keep 'em comin'. Gotta check out bullberry.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by glockky View Post

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	125499

I had MGM make me a 18" 357 max barrel last year and it has worked great for me. I really love this cartridge and the short rifle really shined in the treestand this winter. It was just so easy to handle.
    My set-up is almost identical. My barrel is 16.25 where yours is 18. Nice short and light package with a lot of thump. Mine is set-up for suppressor use with heavy weight cast bullets of 250 and 300 gr. That is a LOT of fun. The Max is a very versatile chambering. 38's, 357 mags and 357 max all in one gun. What is not to like.....

Boolit Grand Master
    What velocities are you guys getting, vis-a-vis, your various bullet weights? Which moulds are you using?