Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Work/hunting boots?

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I bought a lot of boots over the years and bar none you've already been in the best. I do have a pair of Danners insulated that are in fact waterproof with in normal use ,not wadding for hours but creek crossing and the like the 3rd day of 10-12 hours of snow hiking took a toll but I honestly can't say if it was outside in or not. The US Red Wings and Irish Setters are $10 more in the Reno store . I've had 10 pairs or so in the last 20 years . I love the setters upland as long as I avoid concrete like the plague. Those are in their 4 the season of hogs deer elk and assorted small game. They are comfortable from the 80s to the 30s. The most recent pair of work boots are Red Wing hikers (I didn't expect to be back to work permanent) the 2nd day on concrete they remind me why I bought the higher end 8" boots that I wore for so long . I've been in the Hikers for 5 month and aside from normal sole wear on the fat lug/gap sole I'm pretty happy in these today it's 35 degrees but it was 90+throughout July and August. At least from where I stand go with the lined boot ......always,everytime,it makes a world of difference in daily comfort.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

I always look, USA or bust baby. They can keep their chinese ****.
    "These are not hi-capacity magazines, these are standard capacity magazines. High capacity is belt fed from the can."

Banned

Chippewa made in USA as well as Justin

Boolit Grand Master

I miss the Rocky 911 boots of a few decades back. Light, sturdy and tough as nails.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Banned

Im a big redwing fan myself but used to find wolverine boots a bit cheaper. I don't know about now but back then there were every bit as good as redwings. These were my leasure boots. I was a lineman and had to climb and boots were very important to us and most of us wore west coast boots for that. Very high quality but not cheap.

Boolit Buddy
    My everyday boot is a pair of Wesco's they fit like a glove stand up to everything I can give them and still look like new after four years.

Boolit Master

Well after shopping around I settled on another pair of Red Wings (474) but unfortunately they are made in China. There are indeed some decent boots out there, I particularly liked the Danners, but in the end I found the Red Wings for less money. It really sticks me that these things say "made in China" on them but then so did most of the other boots I looked at, yes VERY good quality USA boots are out there and all things considered the price is fair but at my age and physical condition I think the Chinese Red Wings at $159.00 was the most "band -for-the-buck" but time will tell.

Boolit Bub
    Wienbrenner/Thorogood boots are all I wear. They are one of the very last AMERICAN made boots. http://www.weinbrennerusa.com/
    One plus for me is that they are the only company that actually make WIDE boots. They have widths up to H, which for folks that don't have to buy canoes for shoes is a EEEE. Yes that is 4E. I have been wearing them now for close to 10 years and they are a great boot. I know that in the American Heritage line if you order Waterproof, it is not a coating but an actual layer of waterproof material in the layers of the boot. Their prices are considerably lower that that of Redwings, and others that are no longer "Made in America"
    If you are interested in them you can purchase them online thru http://thebootpro.com

Just for the record I have no ties or interests in either company. I am just a very satisfied customer!!!! Now that I have said all this I just remembered that I need to order a pair of boots!!

Forgot to mention that they also offer discounts to Union members and Veterans!!!

Plenty of work boots in Furgeson! Not a single pair stolen during the riots.

Banned

^ Nice

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NoAngel View Post
    Plenty of work boots in Furgeson! Not a single pair stolen during the riots.
    I bet no yard and garden tools were stolen either!

Boolit Buddy
    I have worn Timberland the last few years for work and play. My next pair will be three pairs...

Thorogood steel toes, LL Bean Rubber boots for wet days and LL Bean Engineer boots for when I am around my office.

Boolit Master
    "Any where but China" baby. Spread the word. Buying Chinese stuff is stupid. EDIT: GUILTY! Not trying to say I haven't or won't ever buy Chinese made stuff. Just pushing the "Anywhere but China" idea, hoping it catches on.
    Last edited by dualsport; 12-17-2014 at 02:42 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Whites Hawthorn are costly, hold up OK but not as well as they used to. I got 10 years hard use with a resole out of my first ones and only 7 years with a resole out of the last ones. The last eight months I have been in a chinese made Northside hiker. I doubt I will get a year out of them, with 2 years to go to retirement I am not sure what I will do for the next pair.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    Wienbrenner/Thorogood boots are all I wear. They are one of the very last AMERICAN made boots. http://www.weinbrennerusa.com/
    One plus for me is that they are the only company that actually make WIDE boots. They have widths up to H, which for folks that don't have to buy canoes for shoes is a EEEE. Yes that is 4E. I have been wearing them now for close to 10 years and they are a great boot. I know that in the American Heritage line if you order Waterproof, it is not a coating but an actual layer of waterproof material in the layers of the boot. Their prices are considerably lower that that of Redwings, and others that are no longer "Made in America"
    If you are interested in them you can purchase them online thru http://thebootpro.com

Just for the record I have no ties or interests in either company. I am just a very satisfied customer!!!! Now that I have said all this I just remembered that I need to order a pair of boots!!

Forgot to mention that they also offer discounts to Union members and Veterans!!!
    Big +1 on Thorogood boots! I don't like any kind of liner in my boots and Thorogood makes that possible. They have the absolute softest most comfortable leather I've ever put around my feet. Be warned not all of their boots are made in the U.S.
    Okie

We have a saying in our house: No pity for self inflicted wounds!

Boolit Master

I really like my ECCO boots but the learher seams weren't water resistant enough, for long enough, so about 2 years ago I switched to Lowa boots. I make a living on my feet and the Lowas are wonderful.

I have 3 pairs of them, my favorite is this one:

http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/zep...f/3105350411/8

Boolit Master
    CHIPPEWA 8 inch logger boots. They support your ankles and they ARE water proof. I bought a big size for my shoe inserts and they are performing flawlessly. Read the 287 remarks in Amazon about them and spend the $ 16.00 for the "IRON" laces. They are standing up under me. Nuff said... You won't regret these... Your back will also tell you what a great support system they are..!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post

Thanks -- I have size 15's not much selection out there even online.

In Remembrance
    I was wondering when someone would suggest, or mention whites.

Boolit Bub
    I still wear Whites and I'm retired. Have one pair of Whites vibram soled that have rebuilt twice, I doubt they will even consider another rebuild. Also have a pair of Whites insulated caulked packs. Went to Nicks for leather caulks, just seem to fit so much better and don't stretch the leather out walking on side hills. I used to wear Vasque Sundowners as a nice light chukkar hunting boot. the last pair I bought were made in China and pure junk. No Chinese boots and no Chinese knives for this kid.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12