Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work/hunting boots?

Boolit Master

Work/hunting boots?

I have always been a Redwings fan, it was Redwings or nothing, but now that I have retired I am considering something a bit less expensive if I can find something of decent quality but that's proving to be a problem. First off it seems most are "waterproof" but I learned long ago that waterproof shoes are a gimmick, I HATE waterproof boots! I suppose Gortex waterproof is not so bad and I would consider those, seems the Gortex (whatever that is) don't seem to last long anyway but at least it will let the boot ventilate unlike whatever it is used to waterproof most (read Chinese) boots. So what do you guys like best? Something that's comfortable and won't sweat/rot your feet like most waterproof boots on the market today?

If I can't find a suitable substitute I suppose I will just have to bite the bullet and buy a new pair of Redwings.

Boolit Master
    I know I am going to catch heck for them being low end, but I use Brahma light brown leather lace up work boots from wal-mart for most of my hunting and field work. Always have. They are comfortable, they are not waterproof (you can get them that way I just dont) and despite being $30 a pair I have gotten five to six years minimum out of every pair I have ever owned.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Grand Master

I don't wear work boots enough to justify a pair of Red Wings but my local RW store carries the imported Worx line and I bought a pair recently for weekend warrior duties. They seem to be doing well. I have insulated boots that I reserve for hunting duty.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

In Remembrance
    I have had extremely good luck with double h boots. It seems like they never wear out.

Wesco Boots, custom made to fit my stupid feet!!!! 12EEEE

Expensive , but really worth it for backpacking, and packing meat out, sheep and goat hunting, etc!!!

Bob

Love Life
    Carhartt Wellingtons. They are water proof, but breath through the top. I have worn them for over 4 years in swampy climates, forested areas, and high desert. Comfortable, durable, and $120.00.

Banned

I like the Wellington style as well and have been wearing Chippewa for many moons.

http://www.rockyboots.com/rocky-mens...lor=24#start=1 These are my favorite pair of wellingtons. My favorite lace up hunting boots are the Danner Pronghorns. These are handled by Cabelas ,

Boolit Buddy

Danner Pronghorns are my favorite. I have had a pair for 3 years with very little noticed wear.

Justin boots, rugged bay Gaucho.
    My current pair is two years old. I'm on my feet around 12 hours minimum on concrete, and or jumping in and out of machines.
    the soles are grippy even on oilly floors and the leather holds up well.
    I oil mine every month and are waterproof.
    around 160$ bucks I think, made in America and are very comfortable.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I understand your cost concerns but never skimp on footwear. Your on your feet a lot. I've been working construction for 50 years and learned quickly to take very good care of your feet. Good boots are worth the money. Average the cost of the year or two you get out of them and they are cheap.

Boolit Master

I'm taking notes here, my wife and I are going to go boot shopping tomorrow for both of us, plan on going by Bass pro and a couple of other places to see what I can find. I notice that Bass pro has the Danner Pronghorns so I will check out those while there. Also I will be using these for working here on the farm and that entails a lot of welding so a high-top lace up boot is a necessity.

In Remembrance
    I don't do a lot of welding anymore, but did for years and I am just the opposite. I want a pair of high top wellington style. When I was a kid I watched my dad try to get some lace up high top boots off in a hurry when a piece of slag burn't through, and it took entirely to long to get them off. Made for onr heck of a nasty burn, so I always figured a little burn was much, much better than a major one, even if a little more often. lol

Moderator Emeritus

If your wife wants a good hiking type boot I bought a pair of Columbia 2 years ago for winter wear and for when I am in the workshop. Comfortable, good support http://www.sportsauthority.com/COLUM...e=cii_17588969

Boolit Master

whatever looks well made and is comfortable, thats all. my last pair of redwings were ok, but werent worth the price tag, especially since they were made in china!

Boolit Master

I have a lightweight pair of new balance walking shoes with gortex and a pretty aggressive tread. I use them for most of my walking around. If I am getting serious and going up into the steep stuff to hunt I use a heavier boot with a deep lug sole. They weigh a little more but it can be down right dangerous slipping and sliding down the steep slopes. They have gortex too. The gortex usually lasts a couple of years before they start to leak a little.

Danner Acadia for work, Belleville for hunting, Xtra Tuff for fishing.
    "These are not hi-capacity magazines, these are standard capacity magazines. High capacity is belt fed from the can."

Banned

Danner! Some are made in China, some are made here. You have to look. The ones made here can be resoled but not the China ones at the Danner factory.

I use my good, old military issued boots. The current ones are rough out leather and Cordura with steel toes. They are comfortable for my feet, although not every one's feet like military boots. They last and are fairly durable - current pair is going on 10 or 11 years old, although they are pretty much at the end of their life. They are not water-proof, just water resistant. If you live near a base, you could pick up a pair at a surplus store for anywhere from 30-85 bucks. Lightly used being on the lower end of the price range. A new pair will require a break in period and your foot type may benefit from a good pair of in-soles. I don't use the work boots much for hunting, just work.
    For hunting, I have a pair of nice hiking boots. Not the low end, light weight ones, I mean a traditional pair of all leather, heavy duty hiking boots, suitable for mountaineering. They fit perfect and have an aggressive tread. They are above the ankle and completely waterproof. They are the Cadillacs of my footwear, super comfortable but also a bit heavy. They are around 15 years old, but don't see daily use. They weren't cheap, but worth every penny. If you are thrifty and looking for a bargain, still get good boots, just find them on sale or clearance. Don't let weight be a deciding factor. In my opinion and experience, it pretty much goes without exception that the ultra-light footwear sacrifices either longevity or comfort. Leather is heavy and a long-lasting rubber sole is heavy.

Boolit Master

You might want to sign up for the Danner Breakroom(. They have closeout boots at great prices.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast