RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time reloading and casting for a mosin

Boolit Mold

First time reloading and casting for a mosin

Hey guys,

I've been reading on here for a long time, but this is my first post. I recently bought everything to start reloading for my mosin and now I've juste reloaded 20 rounds but I still have a few questions.

I used a Lee C312-185-1R boolits not size (cast at .313-.314), tumble lube two coats, gator copper gas check crimp on with my Lee FCD.

I used PPU Brass full length size, trimmed,deburred and flared just enough so the gas check would drop in a bit but no more.

I prime on the Lee Challenger breech lock with CCI 200, all seated slightly deeper than flush.

I used a load for the lyman cast bullet handbook : 22.0 gr of IMR-4198 (starting load) at 2.790" length.

Then I used the Lee FCD to just remove the flare and crimp just a hair more.

Since, I learned by my self with this forum, the lyman handbook and the Lee 2nd edition, I'm a bit nervous to shoot my first reloads.

Do any of you see any problems with my loading procedures?

To recheck everything, I've double checked the COAL, the neck diameter, I've chambered a few without the firing pin and it chambers easily with just a finger on the bolt. I've even weighted all of the completed rounds with a extreme spread of 3.0 gr.

Thanks for any comment,

Alex

Boolit Grand Master

Did you slug your bore? Those bullets could be undersize which will lead to leading. I see nothing wrong w/ your reloading procedure. My Mosin happens to take .315 bullets to prevent leading. I wouldn't count on TL working as you turn up the velocity.

Banned
    Hey you did the hard part now go out and shoot em if the boolits are a little undersized for the bore that starting load wont lead up much at all good job kid now show how good you are with a rifle that's older then you are

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for your comments.

I slugged the bore this summer and I think it slugged at 0.3135-0.314.

I know tumble lube probably won't allow me to push them a lot faster, but it is not my intention. Since I'm in college, mechanical engineering, money is tight and I won't buy a Lyman 4500 until next summer. Until that, I'll tumble lube and stay with starting load.

I must say that I found reloading and casting boollits just as fun as going to the range.

Just for curiosity, as IMR-4198 is not a fast pistol powder like other cast loads, is there a chance that the mosin would survive a double load such powder?

I tried to choose a bulky powder so a double charge woud overflow but with the powder stock situation in Quebec, IMR-4198 was the best I could find. A starting load (22 gr.) double charge (44 gr.) won't overflow, but a mid-to max (25 gr. to 31 gr.) doublecharge (50 gr. and up) will.

Banned
    Did you weigh your charges or did you use a dipper? Either way with staring loads you are safe if you follow the recipe for that load from what you are saying you must be charging by hand so when you get all your charges in the brass get a good light and visually check the level of powder in each case if one looks off to you toss the powder in that case back in the bin and redo that case. Safety for yourself is paramount as it is for anyone around you when shooting. There is all ways a little apprehension when doing things for the first time but if you follow the directions and load accordingly you will find a lot of fun and enjoyment from loading your own. The day will come when you venture out to hunt with your own ammo and its a good feeling knowing that from start to finish you did it with your own two hands. Stay in school kid and keep reloading.

Boolit Master

It all sounds so good, now I wanna hear you were ringing the gong at 100, 200, 300 and making it sweat at 400.

Boolit Master

It's all theory til it goes BANG!!! Sounds like your reloading procedures are all spot on, so give it a go and let us know it comes out. For higher velocity loads with stick lube you can pan lube, it's messy but effective. Good shooting! Tim

Boolit Mold
    With all case starting mouth down in the loading block, I've set up the Lee Perfect Powder measure to drop 21.5 gr, drop a charge on the Lee Safety Powder scale and then added a few kernel up to 22gr. Then I dropped the charge in a case, visually checked it under a light, seated a bullet right away and dropped the cartridge in my MTM case.

I think my reloading procedure is very safe, but better be safe than sorry.

Banned
    I think my reloading procedure is very safe, but better be safe than sorry.[/QUOTE]

Amen on that

Alex2293: You might try powder coat instead of lube, that solved problems I was having with my worn Mosin. It has a chamber neck too tight for it's bore. I can thumb seat a boolit up to .314+ in a fired unsized case but it has a throat of .317+ and a bore of .316. I got a five shot group of under 1.75" at 50yrds. using the Lee 185 powder coated and sized .314. It shoots an inch larger than that with factory Win. loads. DT Powder coat works OK and is very inexpensive to get started with. GP

I am in the same spot as you but I started with 10-11.8g Unique. They all went bang and shot decently with no keyholes and no leading. My barrel slugged at .314 and the boolits were sized at .314. They dropped at a hair under .314, but pushing the GC through the Lee sizer bumped the base band up to where it was shiny. This was my result. Your load should produce about the same MV but it may be a little smokey with some unburned powder left in the barrel. So long as the bullets don't keyhole and your barrel doesn't lead up, you will be off to a good start.

Boolit Buddy
    The skinny chamber and fat bore/groove seems to be a common theme with Russian Mosins. Sometimes a fat 0.314+ bullet will work if the case neck wall thickness is taken down to 0.012". I had one that would take a 0.315" bullet and that was MY solution. With 16 grains of Aliant 2400, WLR primers and the last Fattest 30 Group Buy Loverin style bullet at 0.315" I could get 2.5" at 100 off of sandbags with a Tula 1936 91/30 (ex Spanish Civil war import in the 1960's). The lube did not seem to matter. Liquid Alox and Speed Green did about the same.

Dave

Boolit Master

Hi Alex
    Sould like you are ready to make holes. Your set up sounds safe, thats the most important part. Now it is trigger time, the only way to learn and refine your rifle and loads. I have used 4895 in a few of my mosins, some loads as much as 33grs. Lots of fun. Most loads are ok, some loads were very good.
    Good luck
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Mold
    Leebuilder, is there a book documenting 7.62x54r loads with H4895 and cast bullets? If so, this powder could be great because it can be used to make reduced jacketed loads. It could fit many types of loads.

Wednesday I'll have the time to shoot them at the range.

My last concern is that some gas check crimped with the Lee FCD are just a bit loose, I can turn them by hand may be an 1/8th of a turn. But I can't remove them by hand with my nails. Is this risky, I don't want one of them to stay in the barrel or cause high pressure.

Would adding tin to my wheel weight alloy make the bullet drop bigger?

Thanks again guys,
    Alex

Like a top hat in a barrel with the devil behind it. While your gas check will scrape the walls some, the main push is right behind it driving it onto the bullet and out the barrel.

I've yet to see a gas check on the ground in front of where I'm shooting much less left in the barrel.

A bit of tin might indeed help it throw better boolits. Bigger seems to be better with Mosin's. Love my pair but I'm only after some 6 months getting groups to shrink a bit. Still far from a 100 yr rifle IMO.

I was scared when I created my first handloads too. I simply reviewed my work, put on my big boy pants and touched them off. I use the same caution now as I did then. I've been happy ever since.
    The learning never stops.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

I am with Wilco on the gas checks and tin in the WW. I like what i am hearing in that you guys are a bit unwilling to try your loads, if you do everything as per your info you will be fine. The big thing i am trying to say is that reloading is an ever learning type of hobby. If you are safe and "clutched in" you will be fine.

As for the 4895 loads i will look for where i got the load info, probley read it here. But you must use a hard alloy

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Everybody has already addressed your questions . . . now I just want to hear about the big old smile that you are going to have on your face when you shoot your first reloads in that rifle! I have a feeling it will spread from ear to ear and your first response after you pull the trigger will be "WOW"! Enjoy, be safe and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by leebuilder View Post
    I am with Wilco on the gas checks and tin in the WW.
    That wasn't me bud. Credit goes to GhostHawk.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Like a top hat in a barrel with the devil behind it. While your gas check will scrape the walls some, the main push is right behind it driving it onto the bullet and out the barrel.

I've yet to see a gas check on the ground in front of where I'm shooting much less left in the barrel.

A bit of tin might indeed help it throw better boolits. Bigger seems to be better with Mosin's. Love my pair but I'm only after some 6 months getting groups to shrink a bit. Still far from a 100 yr rifle IMO.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Moderator Emeritus

Red Dot makes a great reduced power load for range fun http://members.shaw.ca/cronhelm/TheLoad.html and if you search Youtube there is a video of a guy intentionally trying to blow up a Mosin with crazy reloads. Worst case was he jammed the bolt so hard they had to sledge hammer it open. One tough rifle!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast