Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 22 ammo by the pallet load

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    I think the cost of components really depends alot on where you buy....for instance...some shops here in the seattle area,,cabelas etc are selling powder for $35/ lb....but over east of the mountains the same powder goes for $24/lb....needless to say I buy alot east of the mountains when I am over there. Also, I have bought powder along the I5 corrider from WA, to OR, to CA....and prices vary with the most expensive being in CA.

I have never bought a single box of ammo, powder or primers at Cabela's. Even before the shortages they were generally at least 20% higher in price than any of the competitors and often higher that the prices of the stores in my small town (small town prices are almost always higher than large towns).

Boolit Master
    22's are starting to show up a lot of places around here now. One LGS had CCI Mini-Mags at $12.99/100, with no limit. Another one had Winchester bulk stuff at a slightly lower price per round, again with no limit.

If you really need it, it's available around here. If you can wait a little longer without buying at those prices, I'll bet that prices will drop pretty fast.

Dave

What amazes me is that we can shoot 38/357/380/9mm/45/44 CHEAPER than 22's if we cast our own. Using 231 powder (which goes a loooooooooooooooooong way) you can beat that 10 cents per round that this 22 is costing these days......by a wide margin.
    The world is indeed upside down.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Buy low...... sell high.......... I'm not even gonna think about buying till it gets down to at least 5 cents a round.....

Buying in bulk forever

I guess I have always been a hoarder.....but shooting machine guns, you buy everything in large quantities anyway......primers by the 5000 pack, powder in 8 lb jugs, brass in lots of 5,000, wheel weights by the ton (literally).
    I have never even considered my time nor the investment in equipment. The time spent is irrelevant. It is my hobby and the time is actually very relaxing to me. For many years, I had a small lobster boat and fished in Portsmouth Harbor. Lobster probably cost me $40 a pound by the time I factored in gear loss, fuel, bait, equipment failures, etc.....not to mention the time involved. But none of that was the point. It was the time with the kids, it was the time on the water, it was the exercise, etc.
    If we factored in the time for gardening, for instance, we would buy our vegetables at the store. If we factored in our time doing yard work, we would hire an illegal to do it for us. If we factored in our time in working on the house or barn, we would hire someone to do it for us. No....casting and reloading is down time and very relaxing to me.
    It really IS nuts when I can load 38/357/380/44/45 cheaper than .22's. There is really something wrong when that is the case. Many times as kid I would buy a brick of 500 and shoot rats at the dump all day.....the good old days.
    Having fun and doing a public service. Perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Nise View Post
    That's alot of if's though: If you can find the components, If you dismiss your lengthy amount of time, energy(fuel, propane/gas/electric), original investments, etc. I agree though, it is crazy. Even with all the upsides of 'rolling your own', 22 is a classic that centerfire just doesn't match in all the same ways. Tougher to pack around 500 rnds of 38/357, and if many people shot it up in a day they'd find themselves daunted with reloading. The noise is a biggy though, a lot of people don't want someone shooting centerfire vs rimfire on or near their property, (speaking of gopher shooting etc).
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

I often wondered years ago how ammo companies could manufacture 22lr and retail it for $.02 a shot or less.
    I would rather shoot center fire ammo with cast than 22lrs but was taught to shoot and have taught my children, grand children, and now my great grand children to shoot with 22s.
    I still like to shoot rim fire on occasion.
    Discounting scalpers, don`t you think 22lrs are now priced more in line with production cost?
    BiMart, a local big box store sells them for $19.99 for a brick of 500. That`s only $2.00 above the prepanic price.....dale

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Well, That's not too bad of a price, Wife was in the local Academy the other day and called me after spotting 22lr. in 100rd. box for...19.95, I told her to keep walking, I really can't see paying that price.

Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    I often wondered years ago how ammo companies could manufacture 22lr and retail it for $.02 a shot or less.
    I would rather shoot center fire ammo with cast than 22lrs but was taught to shoot and have taught my children, grand children, and now my great grand children to shoot with 22s.
    I still like to shoot rim fire on occasion.
    Discounting scalpers, don`t you think 22lrs are now priced more in line with production cost?
    BiMart, a local big box store sells them for $19.99 for a brick of 500. That`s only $2.00 above the prepanic price.....dale

Boolit Grand Master

Powder was $25 a lb at last gun show, primers $29.95/1000. I can still load
    centerfire for less than $0.10 per round, so not buying at that price.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Banned

Last gun show I got LOTS of powder at $21/lb. They are all putting it to us. But, they are also making up the price at higher levels to compensate for them not able to get it like they used to too.

Boolit Master

Obviously 22 RF, powder, primers, etc are becoming more and more available with prices dropping accordingly but just not as fast or as low as we would like to see. I seriously doubt we will ever see prices as low as in the past with the exceptions of sales and promotions but who really knows? With all the hoarding that went on once supplies become plentiful again sales might drop so low because of the glut folks have on hand that we just might see some real bargains but I wont hold my breath waiting on that! While there are many thousands, if not millions, of folks holding huge supplies there are still LOTs of folks out there who will be determined not to be left out again and because of that the "stocking up" of supplies may continue for a while but hopefully not on the scale we have seen the last couple of years. I don't have any way of knowing of course but I would guess it's very likely that more ammo and components exist in this country now than at any time in history, probably many times over! There are people who don't even shoot much (if any at all!) that have hoarded 22 ammo just because of a perceived increase in value due to the "shortage", I know of at least two such people here locally and I bet most folks here know some to. Hopefully it will be over soon but I almost dread checking the news these days and bad as I hate to say it I think it's just a matter of time before this all starts over again, we here know how to put an end to this sort of thing but unfortunately the wimps running this country don't have a clue, but I guess now I'm getting political so I best hush up.

Boolit Buddy
    Bought some Rem. golden for $2.29 for 50 rds at Academy Sports. Thought that was a good price.
    You know, there's an old saying, Miss Sally. There's no law west of the Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chism? James Pepper

Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there. John Simpson Chism

In Remembrance
    We can't order it, and have it shipped in, so I have never checked any out of state companies. But I have never seen any 10 cent a round regular old 22lr sold by the brick at any retail dealer. It may be scarce, but the very highest I have seen was just a tad over 6 cents a round, and that was at wallmart. 10 cents a round would be 50 bucks a brick, almost double the going rate in this whole fiasco.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    Ha ha screw those hoarders that wish to sell.
    What?! REALLY??

Ever heard of free enterprise? Individuals can choose to get as much as they want of whatever's available. If they want to hoard, they can. If they want to sell at inflated prices, nobody's required to pay their asking price...but buyers can if they want the product.

VALUE (like beauty) is in the eye of the beholder/purchaser.

Boolit Master

There is a HUGE difference between free enterprise and price gouging! If you don't understand that there's no sense in discussing it and since you think it's ok go ahead and pay extortion prices for ammo but don't complain!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    ......since you think it's ok go ahead and pay extortion prices for ammo but don't complain!
    I was not complaining, oldred.

Boolit Master
    The last .22 lr I bought was on sale at BiMart.

Golden boys @ 525 rounds bulk for 7.99 (I bought plenty ...... till I thought I was foolish)

I know I'll never see that again but if they stayed in business then for that price there is no excuse what so ever for the prices we have suffered through for the past two years.

I predict a day of reckoning for the scalpers ....... and not a pretty one. The pendulum will swing back to a better reality one day.

Patience!

Three 44s

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    I predict a day of reckoning for the scalpers ....... and not a pretty one.
    What would a "day of reckoning" look like for those that have sold at current market prices? When the pendulum swings back, prices will go down, consumers will buy at the new market price. That's the way it works for all commodities, not just ammo.

I seriously doubt there's enough ordinary Joe's out there who have bought up gobs of inventory intending to make huge profits at a future time when prices (presumably) go even higher. Most guys, like me, who are "hoarders" just want to have the stuff. I don't intend to sell it off, some may, but I highly doubt that anybody like that is making it hard "on the rest of us".

Boolit Grand Master

When comparing current prices with a couple years ago, remember how the price of pork and beef changed in the last couple years. The only thing that cost less now than 6 months ago is gas, and that's going to change as soon as the oil ceos figure out how, or the gov sees it as a cash cow.

Boolit Grand Master

No one is price gouging. We are not talking about a necessity. You either part w/ your money or you don't. It's as simple as that.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    No one is price gouging. We are not talking about a necessity. You either part w/ your money or you don't. It's as simple as that.
    The voice of reason.

Thank you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast