RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mixed some lead today ?

Mixed some lead today ?

Started with a full Lee 4-20 pot full of 5 bhn lead The most I think I have gotten in or out of it is 19 pounds . Been trying different bhn rates in a mold . The mold was filling good at 9 and 12 bhn range lead . Bhn tested on a Cabin Tree . The 5 bhn would not fill the mold as I needed . Pulled 10 pounds of lead out of it and filled it back with 14 bhn . Mold filled as it should and yielded 1.2 grain heavier bullet than the 12 bhn lead . I will wait to test for a week or so and again in about 30 days . Any thoughts on what I might have ? Marvin

Boolit Grand Master
    Pure lead (5 BHN) needs higher temperatures to cast well, because it has a higher melt temperature than lead that is alloyed with tin and/or antimony. Also, the addition of tin improves fluidity and produces a better boolit. You didn't say what your 14 BHN alloy was, but obviously it contained some tin and antimony, resulting in a lighter and harder boolit that also produced a better casting.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    Pure lead (5 BHN) needs higher temperatures to cast well, because it has a higher melt temperature than lead that is alloyed with tin and/or antimony. Also, the addition of tin improves fluidity and produces a better boolit. You didn't say what your 14 BHN alloy was, but obviously it contained some tin and antimony, resulting in a lighter and harder boolit that also produced a better casting.
    I did state that it was range lead . And I did state that the bullets were heavier than the 12 bhn bullets not lighter . I tested the bullets today and came up with a 45 on the dial . Will see what happens as time goes by .Marvin

Boolit Grand Master
    OK....range scrap. It's unusual to see it that hard.

My point was that a slug poured with pure lead will always be heavier and softer than one poured from an alloy containing antimony and tin. If it isn't, there's something else going on.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Day 6 and it tested at 55 .Marvin

Boolit Grand Master
    55 bhn?

55 bhn?
    No 55 on the cabin tree dial = 9 bhn.

Day 9 still at 55 on the dial .Marvin

In Remembrance
    If it isn't, there's something else going on.
    With the alloy, he finally got the cavity filled.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Day 12 and at 60 on the dial . Hope it does not go over 75 .Marvin

Day 17 now at 64 on the dial .Marvin

Boolit Grand Master
    Those numbers would mean more if they were converted to BHN.....we don't all use the Cabine Tree tester.

Those numbers would mean more if they were converted to BHN.....we don't all use the Cabine Tree tester.
    64 = 9.5 Will try and remember that . If I forget there is a sticky with a chart on it .Marvin

Day 24 tested 3 samples as normal and came up with 57 on the dial for 9 bhn. Marvin

Boolit Master

I think that makes sense. You pulled out about half of the 5 BHN alloy and replaced it with 14 BHN alloy. Your resultant alloy comes in at about 9 BHN and drops slightly heavier than the 12 BHN alloy, which it should because it has more pure lead in it. Your 5 BHN lead is pretty much pure lead. Your 12 BHN range scrap could be anything but it sounds like its pretty close to 50/50 pure/WW. What are you casting for?

Boolit Master
    I saw no mention of "range scrap" in the original post.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by melloairman View Post
    Been trying different bhn rates in a mold . The mold was filling good at 9 and 12 bhn range lead .
    I assumed this was referring to range pickup lead. AKA "range scrap". Correct me if I am wrong

Quote Originally Posted by petroid View Post
    I assumed this was referring to range pickup lead. AKA "range scrap". Correct me if I am wrong
    I re read my original post and see that I was not as clear as I should have been . Yes the 14 bhn was range lead . I will test this out for at least 30 days . I am casting for a 201 and a Recluse air rifle . Both are 9 mm Korean models. But shoot .358 or .3585 bullets up to 12 bhn and then lose power and accuracy past that point . Marvin

Boolit Grand Master
    You should not see any more change. I've done long term hardness testing on heat treated boolits, and they do continue to harden for several months, but I assume you air cooled and no additional treatment if you're looking to control hardness.

What I don't get is why hardness over 12 BHN causes lost power and accuracy. I know nothing about casting for air rifles, but I do cast for 9mm.

You should not see any more change. I've done long term hardness testing on heat treated boolits, and they do continue to harden for several months, but I assume you air cooled and no additional treatment if you're looking to control hardness.

What I don't get is why hardness over 12 BHN causes lost power and accuracy. I know nothing about casting for air rifles, but I do cast for 9mm.
    Yes air cooled . But I have had changes at and beyond 30 days with air cooled range lead bullets . As far as the power lose and accuracy issue goes . I have heard that it can take place with PB as well . I do not claim to know all the facts as to why . But the barrels are wide land , narrow shallow grooved . You have to run a tight fit to start with for accuracy . But to tight and shearing takes place since the lead has no were else to go but backwards with a low bhn . To hard and the grooves can not fill and hold as they need to . And with a chamber pressure of 2000-3100 psi not 30,000 psi things happen as well . I have replaced the barrel on a couple of my Korean rifles with TJ barrel liners that are made for PB with a more conventional land groove and been able to shoot 22 bhn bullets with no lose of power or accuracy .Marvin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast