Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issues with NEI Moulds

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.

Issues with NEI Moulds

I had these guys make up one of their moulds (.366-304-CG). Have not been able to get them to tell me what size gas check is suppose to fit on it. The rebated base measures out at .3365 to .3375. Anyone out there have a clue as to what caliber gas check these should take?
    Their site has a link to the folks whom are suppose to be an outlet for gas checks for their products, but good luck and getting anyone to answer the phone or email, send them one over two weeks ago, called again today no answer.

I doubt that I will ever do business with these folks again, I have ten or fifteen moulds from Lyman and some from RCBS, I doubt I will waste my money or time dealing with this mickey mouse company again. It may have been a good business that took care of its customers when the owner was alive, but the bozo they got working it now I do not have time or patience for them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	366-304-gc.jpg 
Views:	699 
Size:	3.8 KB 
ID:	124362
    Last edited by MOA; 12-13-2014 at 06:39 PM. Reason: adding image

There is some sizing for Gator checks in the link below. Maybe the .358 cal Gator check would work.

http://www.lasc.us/CheckShankSize.htm

A thread with check sizes.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ck-Information

Boolit Master

Check out the Night Owl Enterprises site (NOE) here:
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...juha9gbmftvvs3

The drawing of their 9.3 design has a tapered check shank from .334 to .340. On the left column you will see a gas check link. Click it and the last size listed is 9.3. That is the size that design was made for according to the designer. Your design from NEI has a similar shank size it appears. The checks are out of stock but if you join the site and make a request for restock, I'd bet Swede will accomodate. He's awesome. I have that mould and checks and both look great. I haven't tried to seat any as I have yet to get a sizer die from Buckshot on this site.

Edit: the above link won't work. Try this one:
    http://www.noebulletmoulds.com/NV/
    And click on the 9.3 moulds link in the left column. Select the rg2 or rg4 mould with a gas check to see the shank measurement.
    Last edited by Fishman; 12-13-2014 at 09:14 PM.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Banned

I believe the 9.3 gas checks will work, if not the 375 cal GC's may be close enough.

I may have some 9.3's I'll have to check.

blammersboard.com

yep $29 per 1,000

or I could send out a few samples for cost of a stamp for you to try OR

send me 2-3 cast bullets and I'll try them out here for you and let you know.

Darrell

Boolit Master
    At one time I Had that mold, I use Hornady 375 gas checks.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Blammer, PM sent.

Fishman, looks like the R2 will likely work.

Who's sizer die is used for the .368 sizing?

I tried some 375's I had from rcbs for my 375 win, no go, too big

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    Fishman, looks like the R2 will likely work.

Who's sizer die is used for the .368 sizing?
    Contact "Buckshot" on this forum if you need a Lyman style or lee style die. I must confess that I have not followed through after contacting him a couple months ago, but the price was very reasonable and many others have used his services with complete satisfaction. He is a long time member of this forum.

This is a good reminder to me to get off my duff and order my die!

JT
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

I sent Buckshot a PM earlier, waiting to hear back from him.

Boolit Master
    I used to use .358 gas checks on an old NEI 9.3. Can't say for sure about current NEI molds.

Boolit Grand Master
    Gas check shank size for 9.3mm caliber has been maker-dependant........some use 35 caliber checks, others use 375 caliber checks. My Mountain Molds tool specs a 375 check, and has worked well to 2200 FPS. 270 grains stepping out at 2200 lets you know that the primers functioned. Accuracy at that speed has been on the order of 1.5"-2.0" at 100 yards. Not world-class, but .366" isn't a varmint caliber either.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Problem is, maker wil not respond, and their link to the 2nd party they refer you to for checks wil not respond either!

As far as I am concerned you couldn't give me free moulds from NEI.

Vendor Sponsor

Hmmm, same service I got from the son in law. Same opinion I have of the son in law.
    Now Walt - he and his moulds were great! I miss the old - real - NEI
    There are however, some really good mould makes that have shown up lately. I give them my business.
    Chill Wills

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Hmmm, same service I got from the son in law. Same opinion I have of the son in law.
    Now Walt - he and his moulds were great! I miss the old - real - NEI
    There are however, some really good mould makes that have shown up lately. I give them my business.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have 3 of Walt's moulds and 1 made after his passing. That latter tool is a good one, but the chorus of complaints heard about NEI's customer service has shied me away from further such experiments. There are other makers whose tools I use--Accurate, NOE, and Mountain Molds--whose tools are quite good and who do a fine job of customer service. There is no need to put up with poor customer service.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I also have a few of Walt's molds that are excellent. When I lived in El Paso I was able to drive to his shop, bs with him awhile and go back the same week and pick up a new mold. I didn't know then how well off I was. The new ones I've seen and heard about from others seldom are as good. With NOE, Accurate and others making excellent molds there is no reason to purchase another one either.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

the non update update. Sent the mould back to NEI the latter part of December, have not heard a peep from them at all.

Boolit Grand Master
    The other mould makers listed here are so decent and customer-oriented, I would refer to them for further such business. Buckshot is a straight shooter too, for the odd-sized sizer dies. He often shoots on Tuesdays, but is real good on E-mail returns and follow-up.

On Heaven's Range

I too have several NEI moulds.

All but one were bought used, and have a high likelihood of having been made before Walt died. All are good.

I ordered my 421-390 for the .404 Jeffery, two-cavity aluminum, well after Walt's demise. It was in my hands EIGHT DAYS after I telephoned the order to them.

It is also a quality item. It casts easily, and the bullets are round and precisely on-spec.

Happy customer here. However, it has been several years, and I keep hearing these stories.....
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast