Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: My pancakes

My pancakes

Nothing fancy, but I like them.
    1/3 cup barley flour
    1/3 cup corn meal
    1/3 cup 7 grain hot cereal (the kind that is cut like Cream of Wheat)
    1 TBL spoon baking powder
    1 TBL spoon sugar
    1 cackleberry (egg)
    1 cup milk
    2 TBL spoons oil (I use olive oil, anything works, even melted bacon grease)

mix the dry stuff in one bowl, whisk the liquid stuff in another and then combine and mix.
    I have found they burn easier than wheat flour pancakes so I run a lower heat and flip when the edges just start to show a little dry.
    With the corn meal and 7 gr. the batter needs to be stirred each time some is poured or each pour will get thicker.
    The barley gives them a nice flavor, in fact I don't even slosh on any syrup. Just eat them with a little butter.
    Sugar and a lot of "quick" carbs mess up my triglyceride level so these work good for me. Barley is about 1/2 the glycemic rating of wheat and corn so that helps stretch things out. Not as glamorous as the sausage recipes you guys are posting but a lot easier to whip up.
    kootne

Moderator Emeritus

Sounds good. I keep sourdough going, to 2-3 cups starter I add 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar and 1/2 tsp baking soda. I let that set for a couple of minutes and percolate then add 1-2 beaten eggs and 1 tsp cooking oil. [2 for waffles]. makes a good flavored thin pancake. Yours looks to have a lot denser body and should taste great.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

The key to great pancakes is a pat of butter right where you are going to put your batter in the hot pan.

Moderator Emeritus

Take your pancake recipe, separate the egg white and beat it to stiff peak stage, fold it back in then make waffles. Good stuff and a technique I use on whole wheat waffles from fresh ground flour.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you have it, bacon grease instesd of olive oil. I don't always have it.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

For pancakes and waffles. Sure makes that heavy dough a lot lighter!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Take your pancake recipe, separate the egg white and beat it to stiff peak stage, fold it back in then make waffles. Good stuff and a technique I use on whole wheat waffles from fresh ground flour.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Don’t ever trust a man who doesn’t like John Wayne

Boolit Master

Y'all are making me hungry for breakfast; this is what I'm making tonight! Koonte ya just made it sound so good. And I will have bacon grease.

Boolit Grand Master
    +1^^^

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin