Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Got bit by the scope tonight

Back in 1985 I was trying to sight in a Winchester Model 70 featherweight in 270 Win. with a 3x9 Tasco on it. I had only shot my first gun up to that point which was a Remington 700 in 6mm Rem with a 4 Power Leopold. The eye relief was a lot better on the Leopold than on the Tasco. Had my pickup truck pulled up about a 100 yards from the target and used the toolbox to sight from. Still have the scar in between my eyebrows from the kiss that Tasco gave me.

Boolit Master
    My dad shot his cvs optima I think is what he got with 150 gr powder and some god awful heavy conical bullet, 1st shot w it....that scope made contact w the forehead and hit him so hard the scope came off the mount. Now I'm thinking the scope rings were not torqued properly but for full effect we were laughing our butts off that the scope came off that shot, he turned around and looked at us and the **** eating grins became why so serious looks. My dad deff got that scope good. Dang scopes lay into ya deep on occasion

Boolit Master
    Mine came from a 300 win mag with a cheap Tasco or Bushnell scope. My friend had just bought the rifle and pulled the scope off his 243. With little eye relief it got me. Didn't draw blood but it left a good size lump. My friend just laughed and laughed. A few weeks later he wasn't laughing though. It opened him up enough to require 4 stitches. He was forever gun shy of hard recoiling guns after that. Had quite the flinch.

Banned

I can confirm, and have a witness who's also a member here, that it's easily possible to bump-fire a three-round burst from a SA AR-15 in 7.62x39 off of one's eye socket when suddenly charged by wild pigs in the pitch dark wilderness. Cramming up tight in a hurry to the night vision scope was the culprit, and the rubber eyepiece surround saved me from a few nasty cuts. The pigs escaped harm as well, and are probably still laughing at me.

Gear

Boolit Master

Had my bell rung by an 06, but my first and worst came from my son's Rossi 243 about 3 minutes after I scolded him for getting too close to the scope. Light, short stocked rifle + too low bench + short eye-relief scope = humbling experiences
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    Got eyebrowed by an old Winchester 300 mag.
    I was about 15 and was hunting out of a low tree stand, which was just a piece of plywood nailed to a tree about 10 feet up.
    I remember pulling the trigger and then getting up off the ground.
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Buddy

Mid 70's, shooting rockchucks in the alpine meadows of central Utah. Buddy says "try this one"! Rebarreled pre 64 M70, wearing a 4X Redfield, as I recall. Hey, they were good scopes back then. He racks one in, hands me the rifle, I get settled, pull the trigger, and launch into string of expletives a sailor would smile for.
    With blood running down the bridge of my nose, I ask *** was that?????? "450AI, 405grn cast, at about 1800fps", was the answer. Don't recall if I got the whistlepig, or not.
    Faster Horses, Younger Women, Older Whiskey, More Money! Tom T. Hall.

Banned

Do you mind if I laugh a little? I never been bit with about every gun made. But had friends beat bad from them. Friend got hit so hard from my .475 revolver I though he needed a transfusion. Gad, what a shiner too!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Do you mind if I laugh a little? I never been bit with about every gun made. But had friends beat bad from them. Friend got hit so hard from my .475 revolver I though he needed a transfusion. Gad, what a shiner too!
    Laugh all you want! I thought Kicks and Giggles was the whole purpose of this thread!

Boolit Master

Welcome to the club! Shoot heavier calibers it is inevitable.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rush1886 View Post
    Laugh all you want! I thought Kicks and Giggles was the whole purpose of this thread!
    True, I did laugh at my friend when I seen blood. He told me he likes to hold revolvers LOOSE!
    My favorite long ago was my .300 Weatherby, could shoot all day but a friend got the scope so I laughed more.
    I had to put a sandbag on my shoulder for a 12 GA shooting 3" slugs but never got the scope. That thing is PAIN from a bench!
    When in the army, there were two brothers that would get their helmets kicked off every time they shot the M1. I shot rifle grenades from my shoulder.
    Good old days, shoot a double 12 ga by pulling both triggers, spin a full circle, forearm pull off and the barrels fall on the ground. Run a target course shooting 12 gauges one hand like a pistol. Recoil was FUN!
    Maybe we were tough!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    True, I did laugh at my friend when I seen blood. He told me he likes to hold revolvers LOOSE!
    My favorite long ago was my .300 Weatherby, could shoot all day but a friend got the scope so I laughed more.
    I had to put a sandbag on my shoulder for a 12 GA shooting 3" slugs but never got the scope. That thing is PAIN from a bench!
    When in the army, there were two brothers that would get their helmets kicked off every time they shot the M1. I shot rifle grenades from my shoulder.
    Good old days, shoot a double 12 ga by pulling both triggers, spin a full circle, forearm pull off and the barrels fall on the ground. Run a target course shooting 12 gauges one hand like a pistol. Recoil was FUN!
    Maybe we were tough!
    In answer to a passengers question, I once heard an experienced river guide say, "It's not really a question of IF I have turned over a boat, it's a question of when".

Me thinks this mindset is appropriate here, as well. Pay attention my friend!

I have become a big fan of scopes with extended eye relief. The best deal is the old Tasco EXP. These were not run-of-the-mill cheap tasco's. They originally cost around $200-$250 and have 5" of eye relief. I have several and have never paid more than $65. They show up on fleabay on a regular basis....frequently new in the box. They were made prior to the original Tasco going out of business. I know a lot of people bash Trashco out of hand, but you have to remember that they never made a scope. They hired manufacturers to make scopes for them. Many were garbage, but some were very well made, such as the Super Sniper which sold $400 back in 2003.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rush1886 View Post
    In answer to a passengers question, I once heard an experienced river guide say, "It's not really a question of IF I have turned over a boat, it's a question of when".

Me thinks this mindset is appropriate here, as well. Pay attention my friend!
    Love it. long ago we were hunting ducks from my canoe on a river. BIG friend up front. I had the paddle on a rope so I could let it go and grab my shotgun. Boosted ducks and my friend shifted hard and shot, tilted the canoe hard to tip over and we went into the river but I hit both ducks as we were going over. Much laughing. COLD though.

Boolit Master

my vanguard in 338 win mag scope bit me really good so I put a longer scope mount on it and extended the stock 1/2 inch so maybe it won't happen again.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Buddy
    One and only time I ever got bit. My dad managed a gun shop almost his whole life. Had a good gunsmith on staff. My after school job was to help the gunsmith with chores. One of my jobs was to sight in rifles when the gunsmith mounted a new scope on a clients rifle. Best job a 16 year old kid could ever have !! One day I was handed a box of cartridges and a rifle in 300 Savage with a new Weaver 6 X scope on it. I took it to the range and proceeded to lay prone and squeezed of the 1st round. WOW that hurt. Tripped to the car and washed the blood off my face and bandaged that bite mark over my right eye. Taught me to make sure the butt stock was in my shoulder correctly. Took 8 more rounds to get it at 1" high at 100 yards. The rest of the box was just fun stuff.. Never did care for Weaver scopes after that..LOL Still wear that badge today..

Ron H

Boolit Bub
    I've never been scoped except the time when I was a kid bragging that I could shoot my 270 with one hand...caught the whole gun with my face.
    You probably shot under the deer if it was that close and you lined up with a 100 yard crosshair.

Welcome to the half moon club. I got initiated way back when with my sporterized milsurp Lee Enfield. I found out that the scope needs to be far forward and one needs to 'climb' into the stock to reach the scope. Actually I got bit twice. Apparently I didn't learn properly the first time. Neither of the half moon scars above the eyebrow remain today.

Now days I have semi-suppressor/muzzle brakes but not on that original rifle with the same scope which has no rubber ring , only a sharp metal shield.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    An extra 1/2 inch of eye relief doesn't seem like a lot when you are comparing scope specs on paper. But it sure makes a difference in the real world.
    Last edited by jethunter; 02-15-2015 at 12:15 PM.

Boolit Master

Who, me?

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    I can confirm, and have a witness who's also a member here, that it's easily possible to bump-fire a three-round burst from a SA AR-15 in 7.62x39 off of one's eye socket when suddenly charged by wild pigs in the pitch dark wilderness. Cramming up tight in a hurry to the night vision scope was the culprit, and the rubber eyepiece surround saved me from a few nasty cuts. The pigs escaped harm as well, and are probably still laughing at me.

Gear
    I hear em every night I go out there. Well, to be honest, I don't know if they are still laughing at the guy with the rifle or the guy that thought it would be a good idea to pull a flint knife and attempt hand to hand combat. Still up for debate.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast