Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bands Vary

Went to the range today and it seems my slight concerns were to be unfounded. The 540 gr Creedmoor bullet gave me the best groups of the day. I'm surprised they did as it was 42 degrees and I had been out in it about two hours when I shot these groups. My feet felt numb as did my fingers but in between warmups in the car I managed to get some decent groups. Both Swiss and Old Enysford did well.

Olde Ensyford did well with the Lyman 457125 as well. It may be my go to powder hence forth.

Last edited by ColColt; 12-19-2014 at 03:12 PM.
    NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

Boolit Master
    Not bad at all............even if you were half numb.

Boolit Bub
    Not bad groups there Hombre!
    I have had the same problem with differing band diameters in a new mould. Things improved when I upped the heat to the alloy and the mould. I was trying to see if I could run the alloy cooler than usual. Didn'twork well. I had the right size bands all but the one next to the sprue plate. It would be differenin by .001-.002 inch. The others right on .461 as they should be. When I upped the temp the bottom band got better and right on or .001 under the expected .461 like the sample bullet that came with the mould.
    Weird thing....upping the temp of alloy and mould could give some of the bullets bands(not the band next to the sprue plate) up to .462 size. The sample bullet that came with the mould had all bands the same at .461 using 1-20 alloy.

I'm using up an alloy that was initially 96% lead,4% antimony,2% tin and now with extra lead added this time around. That alloy with the extra lead to soften it gave better groups being softer.

I'm headed towards the 1-20 alloy since this alloy I've had with the danged antimony is just about gone. Don't care much fer the antimony.

Anywhoooo......Might try an alloy that is softer. 1-30 or 1-40 might bump up better. Watch for leading that could indicate the bullets bump up too much and get too tight.

If it'll give a good diameter (.001 or .002 over groove diameter or right at groove diameter) size so all driving bands are the same. Try er out.

I don't like to rely on obstuation of the bullet to make it fit since I'm of the mind set that something like obstuation isn't going to be as consistant as some believe it is.
    I believe an Hombre can size right at groove diameter and end up with a overly tight bullet because of the alloy and obstuation of it.

How do you spell that danged word? Obsturation? Obstuation? Oblogerinzitationalistic? Bumpup? Plumpit?
    Last edited by Enyaw; 12-20-2014 at 12:45 PM.

It's called obturation. There was no leading with this 1:20 alloy I always use and the miniscule difference of three bands made absolutely no difference. I feel rather sure those groups could have been even better had I used a scope or had 20 year old eyes and wasn't freezing.
    NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

Boolit Bub
    Obturation. I gotta write that down somewhere. Thanks Colcolt.

I agree bout the freezing and the use of a scope woukd no doubt give better groups.

I'd like to have a scope like the Malcolm types MVA sells. Of course then I'd have to make up different reasons why I'm not shootin better.

I have learned to figure out what part of the fuzzy stuff to aim with. I'd be satisfied with the kind of groups you attained. Hope you get that consistantly.

Who knows.....maybe next outing you'llfind the group shrinks even more when the bullet settles down more on it's axis. Half the group at twice the distance would be nice.

Less of a group even 50 yards more would be cool. Minute of ground hog at 300 yards would be alright.

Glad things worked out fer ya Hombre. Now I might figure that if my mould has a bottom band .001 less than the rest it may be alright.

Boolit Grand Master

Glad it worked out for you. I suspected it would.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12