MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bands Vary

Bands Vary

I don't think this matters but thought I'd ask anyway. I received a mould today and in my specifications ask for it to be .459". The only portion of the bullet that's .459" is the base. The rest of the bands are .4577-458". I know the bullet will get bumped up but I've gotten moulds from this same person and all bands have been .459-.460". Forget it and just shoot?
    NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

Boolit Master

Custom mould maker?

Did you specify the alloy you were to be using?
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

I did-1:20. Yes, it was a custom job.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Master

I'd contact the maker first, see what he has to say.
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    A buddy of mine recently bought a high end custom mold spec'd at .461" for one of his '74 Sharps. Even though he's been casting for 30+ years, he had a similar problem with only the base band coming out at the spec'd diameter, with all the others being smaller. After a lot of frustration, I believe he said he had to change the temperature of his alloy and preheat the mold before he solved the problem.

He doesn't post on this forum very often, but I'll try to get him to post a more specific response about what he had to do to make it work for him.

Dave

It's difficult to measure each band as a mic is going to measure two together. I took my calipers and measured each band and found the base and the band above it was .459" but all others were smaller, to include the drive band. From an accuracy standpoint, I don't know that all of this matters or not. I did expect, however, all bands to be the same.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Master
    Are you bottom pouring or ladle pouring. Sometimes from a bottom pour pot it helps to swirl the alloy into the mold by directing the edge of the pot's lead stream on the sprue plate's angled part of the pour hole (hope that makes sense). If you've tried this and other means such as adjusting temp. etc then I would simply contact the mold maker as I don't believe any of them will have a problem making things right.

With these large cavity(530+ gr) moulds I use a ladle, usually around 750 degrees. I've found the consistency of weight and sharpness of bands work best with the ladle pour method.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Master
    Ladle pouring with big ones keeps the heat on the mold so that's good. I would contact the mold maker and go from there since the mold isn't dropping boolits the way you expected.

Boolit Master
    Maybe they will shoot good. Only one way to find out.

I've got an email into him to see what he thinks. It may make little difference but I'll be at the range this week and we'll see what transpires.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Grand Master

Possibly a mold temp or break-in issue, be interesting to hear from the maker but proof's in the pudding. Hope it works out for you.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Bub
    Could be air in the mould. Keep the laddle spout on the mould a little longer so the weight drives out the air. Turn the mould sideways to meet the spout and then turn it right side up with the laddle spout tight to the mould few extra seconds.

Make sure the alloy is mixed well periodically.

If the mould cavity is made to the right specs. it may be the air vents are not right.

Clean the mould with gas and then de-natured alcohol and a soft brush and then do it two more times. A soft carding brush works good. Brownells sells them. Small like a tooth brush with fine stainless steel wire bristles.

Might work to remove varnish type stuff from oil/grease left on the mould.

Might try a lighter grip on the mould handles too.

Might try upping the alloy temperature.

Night try running the mould a lil slower so it's temp stays a little lower.

Those are good suggestions but I checked the dimensions of the sample bullet sent with the mould and it measured the same as the ones I cast. Again, I don't know if this is being nit picky or not, just out of the ordinary for his moulds.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Bub
    If yer being nit-picky then that goes along with the habit of rifles to be nit-picky bout the bullet size they want/like.

In the beginning you mention that you,"know the bullet will bump up". Using the Holy Black or smokeless?

Black powder bumps up lead alloy bullets more than smokeless powder will. As I understand it the smokeless isn't a real good "bumper upper".

Anyway....you should send the mould back fer one that fits yer specs.

I received an email back from him and was told not to worry about the small undersizing but, he would check it out if I wanted.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Grand Master

Hold on to that promise and shoot a few and get back to us.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I hope to get out to the range this week. I was going today but have a dentist appointment and that sort of stymies my range trip. I just felt it odd that the last mould I got from him was a tad over sized at .461" instead of the .459" I specified and this one was the opposite. I had no problem with the .461" mould as I use a sizer anyway and not being over .002" I felt that wouldn't affect accuracy. I don't like sizing more than that, however. I suppose it's difficult to get each band the same as the others and perhaps .001" difference won't mean a thing.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Grand Master

I would shoot some and see what they do, et the bullet rifle combination decide if its right. With Black powder loads it should bump up easily to a perfect fit. Are you gravity pouring into the mould or pressure pouring from the ladle? If its a vented sprue plate on the mould try pouring the full ladle into the mould letting the excess run from the vent back into the pot. This givees me very consistant bullets as it keeps the bullets hot the longest and beter fill out and gas release.

I use a ladle(Lyman) with the larger bullets, single cavity such as this one. I tip the mould to line up with the ladle, turn it over and mentally let it sit there three seconds before leaving a sprue on the mould.

I'm shooting 62-65 gr of black with this type of bullet so it should bump up nicely. Still, I wish all bands had been the same.
    NRA Patron Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast