RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: H & R .44 Mag. single shot

Boolit Buddy
    +1 for the recommendation to check out Graybeard Outdoors' H&R Centerfire Rifle Section. The FAQs and Handi Basics 101 they have is hands-down the most info you will find about these guns anywhere. While waiting for your mold mods try a box of Winchester or Hornady 240gr J-words. Those rifles all seem to like them alot!

Thanks, Dinny
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

Thomas Paine

I'll have to go home and tell my Win 94(44mag) it doesn't shoot Lee 310s like the target says it does. It's going to be very disappointed. Gonna have to tell that 8 pt on the wall that Lee 310gr ain't accurate enough to hunt with. Of course, it was pushed a little faster (1550fps). It's 1:38 twist also. If you try the 310, push it fast.
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Boolit Grand Master
    Got it ! !

Many thanks,
    Ben

Boolit Master
    I use a NOE 235gr RNFP sized to .434" and GC with a Al PBGC made with a Patmarlin GC Maker, and get 2-3" with iron sights at 100yds with it. Almost forgot, this is with the old boring 10.0grs of Unique.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Grand Master
    Handi .44 Mag.
    10 round group @ 40 yards.

1 3/4 X - 5 X Burris Variable scope.

Preliminary sighting in session this afternoon.

44 mag. Brass , 6.8 grs. Promo, 200 gr. SAECO Solid, .431" cast bullet diameter.
    It is a start................

Last edited by Ben; 12-14-2014 at 07:05 PM.

Boolit Master
    Ben,
    Looks like you're ready for squirrel season, and not just hog and deer season with that. I am kinda surprised that your group isn't just a bit tighter though, after some of the ones you've posted.

Boolit Grand Master
    I ran to the range and only took a box of 50 rounds.
    All loads in the box were the same.

I think that , given more range time, with a wide variety of bullet weights that you may see some of those groups in the future that you're describing.

Ben

In Remembrance

I had Veral Smith make a .4325/280 Long Flat Nose Gas Check mould for my .44 RemMag Handi rifle bought in 1992. Great accuracy at 50 yards and the absolute "Hammer of Thor" on big feral hogs at this range when propelled by 18 grains of H110. Accuracy at 100 yards (off the bench) shows groups that really opens up and show slight tipping. The original 1 in 38" twist just does not stabilize these longer slugs even at higher velocities. I am going to get LBT to cut a heavy (260 grain?) Wide -flat nose bullet design that is a bit shorter (same length as factory 240 gr. JHP) to see if I can get 100 yard 3" (5 shot) accuracy so I can be confident of one-shot kills at this range.

Boolit Grand Master
    Considering this rifle is a 1-38 twist , I may be " trapped " in the 180 gr. - 250 gr. bullet weight range ? ?

I'm hearing people talk about the 310 gr. bullets becoming unstable at longer ranges ? ?
    Last edited by Ben; 12-14-2014 at 10:07 PM.

I have not got my .44 mag barrel yet, but I did buy a .210 grain mold instead of a bigger one.

Time will tell, but it will be a while before It gets warm enough out to shoot up here in the Dakota's.

Boolit Master
    Ben,
    I was just kidding with you. That group works for me, and is better than most of mine are at 50. I tend to get a good cluster like that and then get a flier that opens things up. Even my 100yd groups are usually a good cluster with a flier always opening them up to 2-3". If it wasn't for that flier, my groups would mostly stay a lot closer to 2" than 3", with some right at an inch.

As to heavier boolits, I use that 235gr NOE I mentioned, but a friend gave me 20 of the Lee 310gr cast soft and without a GC attached. They were as cast at .431", so too small for my rifle, so I sized them to .425" and PPd them to just try for a group. Fired 10 at 100yds, and the other 10 at 200yds, just screwing around. My groups weren't near as good as usual, but the holes were nice and round even at 200yds, so I want to say they were stable out there still, but my group size was an embarrassing 11"@200yds.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had a few minutes on Sunday afternoon around 2 pm or so to run to the range and zero the rifle.

I grabbed a box of ammo that I'd loaded for my Ruger Super Blackhawk.

I have no idea if this is " The Load " that the rifle is going to like the best or not.

I'll say that the 1st 10 round group shows promise.

I thought that it was interesting that the bullets were sized .430 " ( originally loaded for the revolver ) and my bore on the Handi Rifle slugs .4323". Should be a great combination for poor accuracy and nasty leading in the bore of the rifle. NO SO !

No leading at all ? ? ? The bore shinned like a mirror when I got home and pushed a couple of dry patches through the bore.
    Last edited by Ben; 12-15-2014 at 08:26 AM.

Ben: I went back and forth on choosing a 44 Handi and ended up opting for the 444 Marlin, of course the brass is more expensive and can be hard to come by. The 444 barrel I've purchased has a one in twenty twist and according to Greenhill should stabilize all the way up to 470grs. I'm not a real big fan of heavy recoil and shoot nothing you couldn't easily match with the 44mag, I just like having more options in boolit selection than afforded by the one in thirty eight. Love my Handi's and own six of them, so easy to work with. Enjoy your new toy, most likely won't be long until a 44mag follows me home. GP

Boolit Grand Master
    GP,

Good shooting to you also.
    Merry Christmas,

Ben

Boolit Master
    Ben I think you are on the right track. I do have two pieces of advice for you.

#1 When you get a chance order a carlson's hammer expander. It is well above and beyond better than 90% of hammer extensions out there (Knurled, round, lightweight, ambidextrous, etc) and usually runs around $12 for one.

#2 If your H&R is like my 45-70 was you can eliminate SOME of the stringing by running a hundred to a couple hundred rounds of jacketed ammo through it to finish out any rough patches. It worked well for me, may or may not for anybody else.

I think you have a hummer dinger there that will serve you well.

My 2 Cents

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Grand Master
    GoodOlBoy

Thanks for your suggestions.

This one will never be a benchrest rifle.
    But.....then again, I didn't purchase the rifle hoping for that kind of performance. I do think that tinkering with forearm pressure, bullet diameter, different bullet styles and weights, different powders, etc. that I can tighten things up a bit.

It might be a good rifle to train my grandson with soon. If I can get it shooting inside a 3" circle at 100 yds. consistently I'll feel real good about this rifle.

Ben

Boolit Grand Master
    I got outside today and cast some of my Lyman 429640 HP's. We'll call them 270 grains.

I shortened the HP pin on this one as I was concerned about a " blow up " at rifle velocities on deer.

These are sized .432" and loaded in 44 Mag. cases with 10.0 grs. of Alliant Unique.

It will be interesting to see if my 1 - 38 twist Handi barrel will stabilize these ? ?

Boolit Master

Thanks for the update Ben I have been closely following this thread. I have really been debating on a 44 mag handi rifle.
    That first group looks promising compared to what my 77/44. You know about the trouble I had with it. It recently found a new home.
    Ill keep my guns money and freedom you keep the CHANGE!!!

Ben: Is there a cast load where 10gr. Unique doesn't work? LOL Merry Christmas to you also Ben, I will watch as you post results. Handis, fun for kids eight to eighty. GP

Boolit Grand Master
    My 77/44 that I sold about 8 months ago, never put 10 rounds into a group like this.........NEVER ! !