Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dillon Square deal B reloader

Banned

Dillon Square deal B reloader

Was thinking about getting one of these. I know about the dies for them, so that is a non issue to me. Thinking of getting one for 38spec/357mag use.

So who has one and how do you like it?

Was also thinking of getting a Vibra-prime to fill the primer tubes. So if you have one of those let me know how it works.

Boolit Mold
    If you think you may want to load any rifle cartridges, like .223 for the AR, get a 550. If not, they're great.

ADMIN

I have owned or still do own a square deal B, a 550 and a 650.

If you are going to be loading both 38sp and 357 mag then you might consider getting two tool heads and two sets of dies.

The SDB is a wonderful machine for doing pistol calibers.
    It does have some little bugs to consider.
    You can short stroke it and it will advance the round to the next station.
    You must have is mounted to a sturdy bench or it will move when seating the primers.
    Other then those two items it is a very efficient reloader.
    My initial plan was to have 3 SDB set up in my most popular calibers - 38sp, 45acp, and 41 mag.
    I got a deal on a 650 so I sold the 3 SDB to pay for it.

I have a vibra-prime.
    The one I have loads small primers great. Large primers not so great. It might be the other way around. I can't remember. I have a RF100 now.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

I have all of the Dillon presses, my two SD's will be 30 this next year. They will load ammo just fine. You can't use any dies other than Dillon dies and they are not as cheap as they used to be (mine cost $130 back then) but I still load ammo fine on them. For what they cost now I would buy an LNL or 650 depending on my intensions.

When I use the SD's I somehow got into the habit of wrapping my first two fingers around the steel primer tube blast shield, with the ball in my palm and squeezing the primer into place. Gives me a feel of the primer seating.

The vibraprimes were on sale for $25, might still be. Get a few at that price, one is likely to work. They are a good deal for the price but I do lie the Dillon too.

The only press that I know of that you can't short stroke is the 1050.

Dillon presses great. Vibra primIng tool, well they are horrible! I could never get mine to work with any primers. Save your money buy a Dillon RF-100.

Mine is a Square Deal, I've had it since the mid 80s. It's been back too the factory once with a cracked main frame and repaired for free. I have 2 powder throwers and 2 primer feeds so I don't have to fiddle much. From a strictly personal view the only draw back is the auto index, I wish it was manual like the 550b.

I have two. One set up for small primers and one for large. The older one is 30+/- years old, the second about 6 months. Previously I had 2 primer feeds. They work fine. Dies are expensive. Dillon support is great.

If I remember right using the Square deal for both 38 and 357 will require two tool heads and two sets of dies. After pricing the extra set of dies and tool head in, you are better off buying the 550 Dillion press and the set of dies that comes with it will load both calibers. I have the 550 and load 5 different pistol calibers with it and buying a set up for new caliber is cheaper with the 550.

All you have to do to switch to 38 from 357 on a sdb is adjust the powder through expander die and the bullet seat depth and the bullet crimp die. A pain in the ****, but can be done.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by knifemaker View Post
    If I remember right using the Square deal for both 38 and 357 will require two tool heads and two sets of dies. After pricing the extra set of dies and tool head in, you are better off buying the 550 Dillion press and the set of dies that comes with it will load both calibers. I have the 550 and load 5 different pistol calibers with it and buying a set up for new caliber is cheaper with the 550.
    I'm pretty sure that to make the switch efficiently from 38/357 only a tool head plus appropriate seat stem is needed. The dies just slide in under the toolhead.

I don't switch back and forth between 357/38 often so I don't need any extra parts. I noted the related measurements from the tops of the die adjustments to the toolhead so I can get pretty close when going between 38/357

I load both 40 S&W and 10MM with one set of dies. Not a biggie to change. YMMV
    PJ

Boolit Grand Master

The only issue I have with Square Deals is that they have crept so close to the
    550B cost that I would think most are better off with a 550B.

I had a SD for years, sold it for a second 550B, and inherited another SD from my
    father, have set it up for 9mm and .38/357. Good machines, really.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Got a SDB as my dedicated 357/110 jaxketed press. I couldn't be happier. A good press and when you get a rhythm going, very fast.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Got a SDB in .45 ACP and i'll tell you, it will load ammo so fast it is scary! I like it. Good machine, good enough for me to pick up another one in .44 mag! If you're gonna only load pistol ammo, I don't think you can beat it! Like was said before, if close to 550B prices, then get 550B!! More versatile! Just my two cents. (you won't be dissatisfied with either machine.)
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Buddy
    Have Dillon SDB and 650's, for pistol ammo you can't beat this little press(SDB). Bought mine used and never looked back, as once you get it set up you can reload a lot of ammo.

I use the same dies for both 38special and 357 magnum. Same with my one set of dies for 44 special and 44 magnum. It's not that big of a deal for me because I reload in large batches for each caliber.

SDB are great for pistol. If your loadi g rifle as well I'd go with the 550( personally) I have both. Love the 550.

Banned

in my opinion theres not a better press for the guy who only does one or two handgun calibers for any price.

Their warranty is AWESOME!

Boolit Master
    The SDB is a great tool. Being it by design has a small tool head, the dies are correspondingly small by necessity. They are of a propriety design, they are only available from Dillon. Currently they are around $115 for dies and toolholder. If you are planning to load only one or two pistol calibers, it's the best deal in the Dillon line.

I bought mine used, about twenty years ago. It came with dies for all the worthwile calibers, and a spare parts kit. I only ever needed serious service twice. The handle cracked, and Dillon immediately sent one of a new updated design, along with all new bearings. Second I had the base crack, just behind the rear bolt down mounting bolt hole. This time I sent the machine back to Dillon and they replaced the mount with a new updated design, and gave the whole machine a tuneup. Both times at no charge to me. Both these faults Dillon was aware of, and had corresponding replacement parts designed in advance. The newer machines have all these improvments incorporated in them.