Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Ruger LCRX-3

Ruger LCRX-3

When the LCR came out I thought they were the ugliest little gun made. But curiosity overwhelmed me and I bought one. Had to send it back to Ruger because it had .011 barrel cylinder gap, lots of stuff hitting the fingers when you pulled the trigger. They returned it in a week with .006 gap. And it's a great gun for it's intended use. I read that Ruger introduced the LCRX-3 inch and saw one at the LCS. $425. Probably paid to much but I wanted it. Ran a few through it last night and the rear sight pin started working out. Put a little tweak in the pin and some lock tight last night and went back out this afternoon. I like it. It's a little snappy but shoots very well. I need to lower the rear sight.
    "Some times it's just better to smile an walk away."

"Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
    -Butch Cassidy & the Sun-dance Kid

Boolit Grand Master
    Gun's no good--it keep's emptying your brass. Better send it to me before you run out of boolits!
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Gun's no good--it keep's emptying your brass. Better send it to me before you run out of boolits!
    Glad to see you're looking out for me.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    They are very neat guns, if they had six shots I would buy one.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I had a Ruger LCR in 357 for a couple of years - never shot anything but 38s in it though but got the 357 so "I could" if I wanted to shoot 357. It shot well at SD ranges and I had no real complaints on it as a CCW - lightweight and carried well. I just couldn't get over the "ugliness" though so I ended up trading it off on the Smith Model 36 snub I now use for CCW (I love my Smiths but have a number of Rugers - they are all great).

I'm glad to see that Ruger came out with these and I think they'll sell well. I like the fact that they are DA/SA. I don't think you overpaid on yours for a new one. I also think the more you shoot it, the more you'll like it. Congats and enjoy!

Boolit Buddy
    I havent seen those, I like.
    ]Why does anyone need an assault rifle? My first need is articulated in the US v Miller 1939 decision: every citizen eligible for volunteer or conscript military service, every member of the unorganized militia, should be familiar with his nation's military service rifle, and the service rifles of potential allies and foes as well, to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.

Boolit Master

I always wished they made the S&W "Lady Smith", 3' J-framed 5 shot 38 with a satin finish and rosewood grips, without the words "Lady Smith" on it! LOL Always liked a 3" barrel on a J-frame revolver.

Glad to hear you are liking the newest LRC. I don't think you paid too much for it, that is the going rate around here. Sometimes you can get the "regular" short barrel for $375 on sale.

Now if Ruger will just offer the SP-101 in the 3"ish barrel and ADJUSTABLE SIGHTS! Yeah, I know they have the 4"ish but that is just crazy.
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

I'll get some groups posted after deer season.

Boolit Master

I paid about the same last week for my LCR 38spl+P with 2" barrel money well spent I've ordered a LCR-x also in 38spl+P
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 01-23-2015 at 01:02 PM. Reason: fat finger small keybroad
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master

I got to hold one last night. Fugly! I don't like the big grips or bull/chunky barrel. Ruger could have slimmed the barrel shroud and made it look and handle better.
    Price was $450 before tax and they weren't budging.

Boolit Bub
    I picked up one of those a few weeks ago. Has become my every day carry, it just fits my hand so well, points naturally for me, I can hit what I aim at with it. Got me some of the nasty 158gr GCHP +P Buffalo Bore (out of a 3 inch barrel- 1143 fps 458 ft. lbs.). I have a wonderful NOE mold that duplicates that bullet, found some reloading data that comes close to that performance so I can cast and load practice rounds that will be nearly identical to my carry rounds.

Traded my 2" 38 spl SP101 towards the LCRX and it has replaced my 3" .357 SP101 as my EDC. It is so much lighter and handier. With the Buffalo Bore loads, I am not concerned with the difference between .38 spl and .357 magnum anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    I got to hold one last night. Fugly! I don't like the big grips or bull/chunky barrel. Ruger could have slimmed the barrel shroud and made it look and handle better.
    Price was $450 before tax and they weren't budging.
    Ya know that's kinda like telling a guy his girlfriend has a big nose and a fat butt....

Boolit Master

LOL
    I mean if you are until that kind of thing.........

If they could just put a skinny barrel on it, trim down the grips, then we are talking big hit!

Boolit Bub
    This is what happens when you let your GLOCK sleep next to your SP101.
    A few months later you have a LCR-X3 eating up all your ammo.

Boolit Buddy
    I just picked up the lcr .357 a few days ago. My holster will be here tomorrow and the extra ammo loops a few days later. Have to wait till this weekend to give it a try. I'm expecting great things and great recoil. Pretty serious improvement over a rock island 1911 compact for weight. Hard to complain about 20 oz loaded.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do. metalworker, woodworker, mechanic, restorer and 200.00 stamp collector

Banned

I have had my LCR .357 for over a year and I am more impressed as time goes on. No full-on loads, but mid-level loads worked well. It absorbs recoil beyond my expectations, and the trigger is real nice. Main complaint by owners over the trigger stems from not fully letting trigger reset. Once you get that muscle memory on the trigger, you will join the majority that love it. I have had a few J frames, still have one, and the LCR trigger blows the J Frame away in my opinion.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    What boolit weight does the fixed sight LCR .38 prefer? The SP-101 had hit low with everything I fed it, I think Ruger intended you to aim with most of the front blade sticking up.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Purchased The LCRx3 a few months ago and have had it to the range on a few occasions. I wanted a Kit gun that would double as a home protection weapon for the wife. While I'm am content with the purchase this isn't the "Swiss Army Knife" I was hoping for. The good news first. At 10 yards accuracy with 148gr WC was better than expected while 158gr RN were acceptable. The adjustable sights let you dial in to POA. Size and weight are ideal for a backpack or tackle box. What I dislike is the short extractor rod that doesn't totally clear the cylinder of the empties. you have to pluck out one or two each time. This could have been corrected since the barrel under lug is long enough to accommodate a longer rod. This makes a quick reload for defense nearly impossible. The Ruger rattle? what can you say... I see this little guy riding in my glove box or boat but not spending a lot of time by the wife's side of the bed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150112_221736.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	130283Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150112_221529.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	130284