Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Contender Woes and Kudos

Contender Woes and Kudos

I have decided to work on a load for the 30 Herrett using a plain base 130gr bullet. I have found loading data for 115 and 150 grain so I think that the 130 would also work. Trouble is that I can't find data for that grain bullet. My powder measure was set to drop 13.5 grains of Unique so I figured I would charge a few. I had okay results with 1" inch, 3 shot groups at 40 yards. Good enough for breaking 4 inch clays. Upon returning to the data I noticed the Lyman manual list 7.62 x 39 max loads for 130g plain base was 10.3g Unique. With the similar case volume for the Herret I figures that the charge was excessive. There was no sign of excessive pressure. I then loaded 10g and had +10" groups at 25 yards. More like no groups.

I have several different brands of powder that will work for the Herrett. 2400, 296, H110 and others. Any help with this would be appreciated. I want to use the 130 plain base, keep velocities low since this is gonna be a plinking round.

Also another note. My old 222 octagonal barrel was getting hard to open and extract the shell from the chamber. Turns out the extractor is bent. I called Customer Service to see if the part was available, Yep $40! Ouch. I asked if that was a warranty issue. TC Customer Service emailed me a shipping label and said it would be free if I sent the barrel to them.

Sometimes when comparing loads for similar cartridges things can be deceiving due to the many variables.

Been hearing good things about the current customer service at t/c I hope that continues.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Master
    I have used 5.0grs Unique for a plinking load in my 10" .30 Herrett barrel with either a Lee 90gr .314SWC sized to .311", or a Lee 150gr RNFP, but the 150 is a GC design. The 90gr bullet gives me 1.25" groups at 50 yds from a rest, while the 150gr, also sized .311" (and GCd) gives 1.5" @50yds. These are my plinking and small game loads, and not my deer/hog loads. Those use 2400, but I can't give those til I get home and can check my notes.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

I am sizing at .309 Another variable in the mix. My barrel is a 14 inch that I picked up used. There is small area of slight roughness or pitting in the bore about 3/4 of an inch from the muzzle. I don't think this is effecting the accuracy.

Boolit Master
    I just loaded up 50 30 Herretts using a 311359, not plain based I know but with my alloy and all prettied up with lube and GC it weighs in at 125. Sierra 3rd addition has data for 110, 125, 135, and 150. Being Sierra it is all jacketed data but I have found it works well for cast. The load I use is 21 grs. of 2400. I have not shot them yet so take this info with caution. The range for 2400 with a 125 grn. boolit is 20 to 22. Book says 2100 fpm from a 10" barrel. Seems optimistic to me but my chrono is nonfunctional so I have to trust it.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Grand Master
    If you can find some 2460 powder, give it a try. Super accurate for me.

What manufacture on the 2460 powder

Boolit Master

It was long ago, but I do remember getting 2105 fps out of the Lee 115 grain Soup Can with some reasonable loading.

Do not have notes as to what powder or the amount but the velocity has stuck in my brain for years because I was really surprised.

Do you have any velocity readings ith the AA 2460 loading
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Grand Master
    AA2460 and a 125 Sierra spritzer was an uberaccurate barn burner but I don't have the real numbers. Also shot the "K-31" boolit with ??? grs of Unique to fire form the brass and it was stunningly accurate. As I remember that boolit was in the 165 gr range. Don't have any data available anymore. AA2230 is very close to the 2460 in term of burn rate. Spoke to the company's ballistician, who guided me to substituting the 2230 for the 2460.