Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Changed The Rear Sight or Both Sights on Their Lever Gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    For maximum flexibility with boolit weights and zeros at various ranges a good Lyman Model 66, an older Redfield or the top of the line Williams sights will give you the most bang for the buck.
    A great point. Particularly for cast shooters where you may have one load doing a bit over 1000fps, another in the 14-1600fps and a 1900fps hunting load. With the Williams or Lyman 66 you can record the rear sight elevation and just dial it in for shooting that load. The Skinner is set for one load requiring anything else to be hold over/under estimations.

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

All nice suggestions, EXCEPT they're solutions for closed-top receivered rifles, and not for a Winchester/Rossi/etc Model 1892/92.
    Yes the skinner has that restriction however the Lyman and Williams side mounted options are great - this is a Lyman 66 on my Winchester 1894 30-30, ejection is unaffected:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sightcomplete_small.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	124150
    ars longa, vita brevis

In Remembrance
    Just finished switching my williams out for an older steel redfield peep, on my 94. Either one is easier for these eyes to see, but I am seriously thinking about scoping the guide gun and the marlin 308. I know scopes don't belong on levers, but I can see it happening sooner or later.

I put the skinner barrel mounted rear peep and his front flat blade on my Rossi M92 (24 " barrel) in 45 colt. I just filed down the front blade to get close on elevation and sued the peep to adjust the rest. I use 300 grain KT boolits that are probably going around 1,500 fps. I sighted it in at 80 yds for hunting and I'm good out to about 125 with a little bit of holdover. At 80 yds the half-turn elevation change would yield me about 3-4" of impact change. This sight was the answer to my poor vision since I was just flat against mounting a scope on that gun. I think the receiver sight would be a little better, but it is amazing how quick I can get on target with this barrel mounted one. Back up to 40 yds and bounce a tin can around as fast as you can and you will see that a "large aperture" peep really doesn't slow you down.

At first I thought that not being able to "fine tune" the elevation was going to be a problem. Reality is, I went to this because my eyes are old, and with old eyes, 3-4" at 80 yds is way better than I can see.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    I replaced the buckhorn with a Skinners barrel mounted peep sight. This was on the Rossi in 45Colt. The front sight did not have to be changed. The quality of the Skinner is outstanding and really made the difference with aging eyes.
    Yep, me too. The barrel mounted sight works better than expected, if the aperature it comes with is too small, you can just remove it and use the sight as a ghost ring. Works very well for my old eyes either way.

Thanks Scharfschuetze and Tygar, those are both great set ups. Man I need to start checking this stuff out!
    "Of All The Things I Have Lost During My Life, I Miss My Mind The Most!!!"

I put a Williams peep on the receiver of my Marlin 1895. Works good!
    PJ

Boolit Master

Williams receiver sight get rid of the insert and a Fire Sight front or the correct height.

You don't see the rear just the front dot. All my levers wear them. Next step will be halos optics IMHO

Boolit Bub
    I've replaced front and rear sights on all my lever guns. Went with the Lyman M17 on the .32 H&R and Marbles flo. red pipe on the 45/70. Flo green on the .357 and .35 Remington. The flo. green proved so superior for me to pick up under all conditions, I switched the other two rifles to it also. Rear sights were replaced with either a Lyman or Williams depending on what I had on hand. Also replaced the apertures with the brass rimmed ones available from Brownells and went with the .125 on the 45/70 and .35 Remington. .90 or so on the .32 and .357. Getting old sucks BUT sure beats the other option.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I would like to pipe in here about "Getting Old" and having "bad eyesight": About 4 years ago I was diagnosed with eroded corneas and Detached vitreous in both eyes. What this means is my eyes burn like heck for 3 weeks out of every month ( until the layer scuffs off) then I have a good week! Eye drops help this some. The Detached vitreous causes massive black floaters in my eyes that get most pronounced when looking into an aperture especially if magnified like a scope ..telescope or worse for me a camera ...I'm a professional photographer for over 42 years!

When I went back to shooting my rifles again a few years ago ...with cast boolits I realized that all my scoped rifles were too hard to shoot because the magnification of the scope magnified the large black floaters in my eye. I did something drastic and removed all my scopes and installed Receiver peep sights. Well My quess worked: The Receiver Peep along with the lyman 17 target front sight improved all my scores out to 100 yards! Yes better then the scopes ( only because it was harder for me to see the magnified target). This upcoming year I'm looking forward to trying my eyes at the 200 yd range!
    Seriously I have shot better targets now at 62 years at 50 & 100yds with Receiver Peeps and Aperture fronts ( With my cast boolits) then I have done in 1980 with scoped rifles and jacketed handloads.

Yes I also believe that age has made me a better shooter so that has to be part of the equation..... But back then my eyes and mind were sharp and clear...& now both have grown dull.

Prognosis of the eye condition is cornea transplant and for the Detached vitreous issue the operation has less then a 45 % chance.... with blindness being the 55% so I'm thinking of switching any new rifle to Receiver peeps and Aperture fronts!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master
    Buy the one from Steve's Gunz, It's simple and works. I didn't have to change the front sight out either.

Boolit Bub
    I changed BOTH the rear and front sights on my Henry Big Boy, .357 Mag. I copied (and improved upon) the Skinner sights. I made them because I have the machines (and experience) to do the job, and it's a kick to make one's own stuff. The front sight, I got a replacement from Henry, then modified it by soft-silver-soldering. That way, I can switch back to factory equip if ever needed. I prefer peep sights to any other iron sights.

Boolit Master
    Winchester Canadian Cenntenial took off the front and rear sights. Plugged the slot with a sight blank installed a Lyman 17 front globe sight and a williams adjustable rear. Call it my 30-30 match rifle. Octagon 20" bbl. Will do the same with it's bigger rifle with the 26" bbl. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    Rear sight on my Marlin 1894S...

It's a Winchester Model #96A/B sight off an old Model 68 single shot .22...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2en55e8.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	124356

You gotta love that Skinner brass dovetail. And it functions as good as it looks.

Boolit Buddy

I went with the Marbles tang sights on my Rossi 92's. They work great for my aged eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by searcher4851 View Post
    I went with the Marbles tang sights on my Rossi 92's. They work great for my aged eyes.
    I am giving a Marbles Tang strong consideration, however, I am concerned about how it may affect my grip on the stock. Do you have any issues with that?

Boolit Buddy

It doesn't bother my grip, since I don't wrap my thumb over the top of the stock anyhow. I just hold it along side the wrist part of the stock. That keeps it away from the sight, and makes it faster to cycle the action. The tang sight increases the length of the sight plane, which helps my attempts at accuracy. I also just like the look of it better than the receiver mounted sight systems on a lever gun. Something about tang sights and levers just seem to go together in my mind. It is also more period correct for the model 92, if that matters to you.
    I have receiver/peep sights on some other guns, but none on any of my lever guns. I've also tried the Marbles Bullseye rear sight on one of my levers, which made for quicker target acquisition, but at the cost of accuracy. For close range field work, it's a great option, (and much less expensive than the tang sight) but I prefer to attempt accuracy.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the same rifle. I added a Marbles Tang sight and the "recommended" front sight...big mistake with the front sight. I should have stayed with the factory sight untilI saw where it was shooting. Bottom Line - I ran out of elevation at 50 yards, and changed to a taller tang sight, but could have done as well with the factory front sight. If you put a taller front sight on your rifle your point of impact will be lower (any action in the front sight gives you the opposite reaction in bullet placement...a left movement, results in a right side bullet strike. Lower the sight and the bullet strikes higher, etc.)

You'll have to drill and tap no matter what sight you ad - might as well pick one you like.

FYI the tang sight has never bothered me when shooting .454s in it. If you think you'll hurt your hand (you won't) I'd go with a Williams Receiver sight.

M

PS: If your eyes are really bad - use the scope mount holes under the rear sight and mount a scout scope.

Thanks for the comments snaketail & searcher4851. Very helpful info. I need to make a choice and I just cannot at this time. Looking at both the Marbles and the Williams.

Boolit Buddy

I don't know what your eyesight condition is, but I have to wear "reading" glasses to read. This situation also transferred to open rifle sights. The tang sight solved the problem for me. The receiver sight was better than the open irons for me, and the tang is better than the receiver sight is for me. That's just been my experience with MY eyesight condition. I don't know if that'll help you or not.

I'm too far away to give you a chance to try the various options out that I've tried, but maybe you can find someone closer that'll give you a chance to see for yourself.