RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buying A Good Powder Measure

Boolit Grand Master

I have had zero issues w/ a Lee Pro Auto Disk as long as it's not a really find ball powder like H110. That powder leaks to much. But for plinking pistol rounds it works great. I only use ball powders in it so it meters like water and all charges are spot on. I've done no work to it as it's worked out of the box and thousands of rounds later it's still going. For rifle or specific loads I use a Chargemaster. Can't go back to an off press powder measure after using it.

Boolit Master

Redding is top notch. I would want one that is threaded for the 7/8 X 14 to use a stand. The RCBS Uniflow with the micro-adjustment is a good choice.

Boolit Mold
    DougGuy, Your explanation was very well done, I really appreciate the time you took to write that. The only other thing is the flow thru expander die, is that the die that expands the neck back out to the boolit diameter. And what you guys are doing is drilling a hole thru the expander so the powder charge can be dumpted thru it as you expand the neck. This is saving a hole step. I wonder why the reloading company's don't do it as an option. Sounds like it would be great. Again Thanks To All, Boomer28

Boolit Grand Master

Flow through expander dies have been available since progressive presses became popular. I don't use one because I don't use a progressive. There are a lot of specific application pieces that apply and are made specifically for the progressive presses that I don't use. Progressives are really a whole different world and, for some or many, are necessary. Not for me.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Good comparison on the Harrell and Uniflow

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    http://www.harrellsprec.com

Get a premium measure and never look back. I wrote the measure settings on the powder jug and they are pretty much always spot on when I go back to them. Other than charges below 15 gr it does it all. I may get a Schuetzen measure for the smaller charges.

Something to think about...

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar63.htm

Boolit Master
    My experience comparing a Harrell to a redding mirrored the report above. The Harrell has NO backlash and you just dial to the volume that you want. The redding will do the same if you approach the setting from the same direction but is not as precise in the volume readout. The jds works very well. The other measures that I have (ohaus duo-measure, hornady and so on) work almost as well as my redding setup. The jds words very well! Nowadays, I use a measure to throw 90% of the final charge and the RCBS automated measure to top up. It is fast enough for me.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer28 View Post
    DougGuy, Your explanation was very well done, I really appreciate the time you took to write that. The only other thing is the flow thru expander die, is that the die that expands the neck back out to the boolit diameter. And what you guys are doing is drilling a hole thru the expander so the powder charge can be dumpted thru it as you expand the neck. This is saving a hole step. I wonder why the reloading company's don't do it as an option. Sounds like it would be great. Again Thanks To All, Boomer28
    Powder thru expander dies are standard equip on a progresive press for the most part. Lee, Dillon, and I think others already make powder thru dies. This is basically for bulk production of pistol ammo, (and some short rifle ammo) which as you mentioned takes a whole step out of the process. Mostly, the sliding bar or disk measures are best suited for this job.

For most rifle ammo, you would use a measure on a stand high enough to get your hand and the empty case under the drop tube, maybe with a funnel sitting on top of the case, and you would operate the measure, weigh the case, trickle it to final weight, set a boolit on the mouth and set that case aside, charge another case, etc, so this is why you would use a drum type measure with a micrometer style adjustment.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

I have 2 harrel;s a standard and a schutzen model, an rcbs uniflow thats been rebuilt / modified, a redding br model, a Belding and Mull, several dillons measures, and a couple others. I have used most at one time or another, The dillons are ment for being used in a press with the above mentioned powder thru die, one reason for thier accuracy is the consistent operation being ran with the press. They work good and are accurate, mine with stick powders will occasionally vary slightly. The belding and Mull was made in the late 40s early 50s and is very accurate with most powders ( ive never raan fine balls or pistol powders in it though). very accurate clamps to a shelf face. Draw back is this measure is a 2 hand operation to throw charges. Mine has a smaller volumne hopper also. All metal construction, cast iron, brass and aluminum with a glass window. The redding BR is a nice measure accurate when operated consitently. It has a michrometer adjustment that gets you very close but should be checked. Nice sized plastic hopper and casti iron body. Smooth operating. The uniflow has been reworked to make it better standard is easily adjustable but its trial and error adjustment, 2 diffrent drum sizes for large or small charges. your "average" measure in operation and accuracy charges of rifle powder should be checked. I re worked mine Housing was jig ground to round straight and trye with very smooth finish, sides were ground square and parrellel to bore. A new drum made up and ground round and fitted with .0005 clearence to housing sides fitted to +.002 of housing width. side plates fitted to limit sideplay. An rcbs micrometer adjustment added. Hopper has a baffle added. Much better accuracy and much smoother operation. Now for the harrels they are superb measures for me, work great with all the powders I have ised in them. The "click" adjustments are accurate and repeatable, number of clicks per revolution can be set to what you want. The measures are high quality machining and desighn. Bearing operations very smooth easy operating. Clicks are finer on the smaller measure but both are easy to set. Removable hopper or optional adaptor for powder cans. clamp on the front of a shelf face for operation. Repatable settings in that XX clicks open is always XX grains. Alot depends on the powders you want to use and charge wieghts being thrown. Ball powders meter easier than flakes, flakes and balls easier than sticks. Heavy charges may show more variences and want to bridge more than light charges of stick powder. Ball powders hardly ever stick or bridge, flakes also dont seem prone to this. Learning to consistently operate the measure ( speed force and stroke) makes a big improvement with consistency. Set you measure up with chosen powder and throw 100 charges write each one down and see what the easure will actual do.

Boomer, I realise how overwhelming all this can be at first, being new to this myself. Spend some time looking at all the stuff on the Lee Precision website, it helps to visualise some of the processes when you can see the bits and pieces involved (and how they fit together), and also use youtube - there are lots of videos on using this stuff.

Boolit Buddy
    I have tried them all. the only one I use now is the one by harrell

Boolit Master
    Don't be afraid of a used measure, especially old, forgotten ones that look clean and free of abuse. I have picked up in the last 6 months a Redding Master 2nd gen, a Saeco like seagiant recommended above(needed a cap), and a Pacific Standard measure(Hornady bought them out) for less than $30 on fleabay. I have to admit, the Saeco is now my favorite measure.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Horse Knuckle View Post
    I am far less concerned with what an Internet junkie thinks than I am with what the accuracy crowd uses. The Harrell's measures are often seen on the bench of high power, long range, and BR shooters. Since those shooters demand equipment that gives uniform charges and repeatability I think I will listen to them. Wait, that is why I bought mine a decade ago.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Grand Master

I am far less concerned with what an Internet junkie thinks than I am with what the accuracy crowd uses. The Harrell's measures are often seen on the bench of high power, long range, and BR shooters. Since those shooters demand equipment that gives uniform charges and repeatability I think I will listen to them. Wait, that is why I bought mine a decade ago.
    Wait, so you're saying you've used it and have a different opinion? That's impossible

I'm waiting for Lee's two new powder measures to be released next year. Cast iron bodies w/ brass internals sounds like a winner. But we will see when I buy them.

You are absolutely correct. They (high power, long range, and BR shooters) do not, nor do I, weight each powder charge for exactness. Because the load data is based on volume of powder and not weight, especially when precision shooting is involved . I am probably confused, but that may have been the point of the article.

Boolit Master
    whats wrong with lyman 55? mines worked well since82

Banned
    The Redding is top notch.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    whats wrong with lyman 55? mines worked well since82
    Not a dang thing, I have 5 of them! They work with anything, even Varget.

Boolit Master
    I have done quite a bit of experimentation with the measures I had on hand. 1st thing I learned.
    Your not going to find one measure that does all the powders well. My issue was flake powder ( Unique and similar)
    I found that just about any measure can drop ball powder accurately. So that leaves. Flake and extruded ( stick ).

Be live it or not. The best all around measure I have is the LEE Perfect Powder measure. Notice I did not say easiest?
    There is a steep learning curve to figuring out the way it likes to be operated for each different powder type.
    And it is not ready out of the box. You need to tweek it and then the individual one may still not work.
    I have one thats tweeked and I have learned what it likes. Can pop less that a 20th of a grain error.
    I use it mainly for A5744 loads for my SKS. I can pound them out and not have to trickle the Stick powder.
    The Lee wont cut the powder. Never going to sell it EVER.

My main Measure is a Couple RCBS UniFlows. For me they are top notch performers with flake powder.
    They suck with stick powder. Its more like a coffee grinder than a measure.
    But most of my pistol loads and many of my Cast Boolit rifle loads use flake powders.
    So it gets used the most.

I like them so much I rigged a double stand so I dont have to readjust the measure so much.

On my Honady LNL Ap I use the Hornady measure and it seems to be just as good as the Uniflows with flake.
    When I run 45 acp on the LNL I use a LEE auto disk pro.
    So I guess my opinion is. " He who dies with the most powder measures wins"
    Last edited by A pause for the COZ; 12-11-2014 at 11:32 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    OP asks for advice on a measure but then buys a thrower. I didn't want to have to buy automeasures, but I've been looking at them.. I get around it by using a thrower to ballpark a load, and then put it in a 505 (I should have got the 10-10!) and get it dead-on. The throwers only seem to be accurate to about a grain, give or take. Manual scales are accurate to 0.05 grain, or better, with a keen eye.

Boolit Master
    I found a way around the Keen eye issue and the 505 also a good use for all the old computer junk I have around.
    USB cam!!! Now I can see what I am doing.
    This is from before I learned my PPM can do these loads better.