MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 35rem Contender

Boolit Buddy

35rem Contender

Just got my first Contender off GB.....http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=455177241.

The T/C section of my Lyman manual doesn't list anything for 35rem. Does it get loaded like a rifle?

Also, already had everything to reload 35rem, just needed the gun.... and now a mold. The 200g RCBS seems popular, but I already have a 200g 30cal bullet that works great, and since I'm not tube feeding a lever gun thought maybe I could get away with something heavier. What works in the Contender?
    My other forum, where I'm building a cabin....http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_3325_0.html#msg48687

Boolit Master
    UNfortunetly the case size limits your powders. The cases also suffer from chambers that are long and cause the brass to stretch and fail prematurely. Any 35 Rem rifle load can be used in the Contender. You SHOULD stick with 170 to 210 grain bullets. Inspect all cases before reloading them for insipient separations. There is a book/manual by LoadBooks,I think, called The Complete Reloading Manual for Thompson/Center Contender That you should get. This will NOT be your ONLY Contender barrel!

To solve case separation problems I found it very beneficial to add a rim cut to the barrel and make your cases out of 303 or 30-40. That way it will headspace on the rim and you can load it however you please without having headspace problems. Adding a proper throat helped quite a bit as well, the throat on those barrels is just a sharp bevel into the rifling. My 2 cents anyhow...

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    I load and shoot 357 Herrett in my contender. Similar but different than the 35 Rem. I neck size my cases to keep from setting the shoulder back so the heads don't blow off.jhalcott is right this will not be your only contender barrel................Terry

Boolit Master

I agree with the above post. You may as well go ahead and get the Loadbook for the Contender. I would not hot rod the load either. I think you will find that the 200 grain loads are enough to handle. I am looking at my Loadbook and there are a bunch of loads for the 35 Remington. More J words than cast but for cast they list the 358430 at 195 gr (#2 alloy) with 8 to 12 gr Unique, 16-19 gr SR-4759, and 21.5-23 gr of RX7. They then list the 358315 at 204 gr with pretty similar loadings. There is also some loading information using Accurate powders, 2400, and Blue Dot. I think you would be happy with the manual. Enjoy the Contender. You will notice that they tend to multiply.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't have the horse power of the 35 Rem., but my 357 Mag. T/C does have a rim and brass is a bit easier to come by.

I like my T/C 357 Mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    I don't have the horse power of the 35 Rem., but my 357 Mag. T/C does have a rim and brass is a bit easier to come by.

I like my T/C 357 Mag.
    +2 Mine like the NOE 180 WFN
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Mold
    You mentioned this is your first Contender - your next step should be to go to Mike Bellm's website for some great insights: http://bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=562

Remember - 35 Rem is 358, not 357! Slugging your bore will put you on the trail to correct diameter for casting.

RCBS 55-200-FN 35 drops just over 358 diameter for me in 50/50 lino/WW with Hornady gas checks.

i've reloaded my cases up to ten times - neck sizing only and the Contender snaps shut with good headspacing and accuracy running around 2" at 100yds consistently - sometimes a little better.

This bullet drilled a smallish hog in NC for me - zipped right through at about 85 yards. The hog spun once, fell over and kicked - expiring in less time than it took to read this.....
    Last edited by rkcohen; 12-10-2014 at 11:01 AM. Reason: sp

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rkcohen View Post
    i've reloaded my cases up to ten times - neck sizing only and the Contender snaps shut with good headspacing and accuracy running around 2" at 100yds consistently - sometimes a little better.
    Was that with a scope? This one has the older micrometer adjustment rear sight. I've never scoped a pistol before, and the field of view seems a little disappointing. I hunt thick woods, but I'm not great with open sights.

Been on Bellm's site in the week it takes to get something from gunbroker. After reading there I'm expecting to get something that wont headspace, has an off center chamber/throat and will cost hundreds to correct. Keeping my fingers crossed i get a good one.
    My other forum, where I'm building a cabin....http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_3325_0.html#msg48687

Boolit Master
    MattD -

Howdy !

IF you don't already have one, I stronlgy recommend you try the LEE .35 Rem " Collet NS " die.
    Mine sure worked superbly on cartridges assembled for my Marlin M-336 XLR.

You shouldn't have to FL size all that often, so having a dedicated NES die is attractive.

With regards,
    357Mag

Quote Originally Posted by mattd View Post

I've never scoped a pistol before, and the field of view seems a little disappointing.

I hunt thick woods, but I'm not great with open sights.

It's possible that your disappointment arises from a false assumption - Long eye relief (LER) handgun scopes should not generally sighted through like a riflescope.

I've gotten the best results from using a handgun scope at distances closer than 75yds by shooting with both eyes open - the (hopefuly prominent) scope reticle should be superimposed on the targeted animal for the shot.

It took me a modicum of practice to get a consistant enough pistol hold/position, to give my shooting eye a full field of view & enable shooting with both eyes "open".

Before practicing, my inconsistant hold resulted in a partial or no (blacked-out) FOV.

Boolit Master
    Some of the older loading manuals have Contender data for .35 Remington in the pistol data section.
    Speer #12 edition
    Speer #13 edition
    Hornady 4th edition
    The old brown Dupont and IMR pamplets ferom the 1980s have the data in a separate section in the back.
    EDG

I have a 14" .35 Remington barrel and I load it the same for my Marlin lever. Because I load for both I full length resize but adjust the sizing die to just set the shoulder back a couple thousandths. Brass is still good and never had a misfire. I do lose a couple hundred fps from the 6" shorter barrel but it's still better than factory. Favorite powder is IMR4064 pushing 180-200 grain bullets.

Boolit Master

Enjoy the addiction! I have never shot that round in a contender, just does not sound fun. I do shoot 17HRM, 30 carbine, 357 and 41 mag. I would really like a custom 22 hornet or 221 fireball.

If you have not found him yet, call and talk to Ed at www.edstc.com Ed can get his hands on anything TC you would want or not know you wanted yet! Tell him Matt says hi, if you talk to him.

Have fun!

Boolit Buddy
    I actually just shot it today for the first time. kicks a little. i already had a box of Win and Rem, which is why I bought the gun.... needed something to shot them with. didn't do too good, def a learning curve. bout 6" at 50y. but going back to my SBH made it seem tame and I shot it better then ever.

Moderator Emeritus

I shoot a contender better from crossed sticks than offhand. Even a single stick angled with the gun across my hand and the vee of the stick works better than offhand for me.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Was that with a scope? This one has the older micrometer adjustment rear sight. I've never scoped a pistol before, and the field of view seems a little disappointing. I hunt thick woods, but I'm not great with open sights.
    You might want to consider a Red Dot sight - works well in thick woods.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Been on Bellm's site in the week it takes to get something from gunbroker. After reading there I'm expecting to get something that wont headspace, has an off center chamber/throat and will cost hundreds to correct. Keeping my fingers crossed i get a good one.
    Keep in mind that Mr. Bellm makes a living by "correcting" all of these things, whether it is needed or not.

Quote Originally Posted by rkcohen View Post
    Remember - 35 Rem is 358, not 357! Slugging your bore will put you on the trail to correct diameter for casting.
    The 35Rem's been chambered in a lot of guns over the last 108 years. Any US company making a modern 35Rem probably will adhere to the SAAMI spec (.357" groove) or there could be liability concerns.

You're absolutely right that slugging will net the truth.

Boolit Master

Partial size or neck size so the action closes "tight" or with just a little effort and the cases last as long as any other caliber. Using H322 powder and jacketed bullets, I could equal factory loaded 200 gr ammo rifle velocity in my 14" T/C barrel.

The .35 Rem in a Contender barrel is my favorite for deer and hogs. I have a J.D. Jones barrel made up in 8mm JDJ, and still like the 35 Rem better as an all round Contender caliber.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast