Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dutch Boy

Boolit Master

Dutch Boy

I've been a member of the local sportsmans club some 22 or so years. Well word does get around that you're "the crank that casts his own". One day a fellow member presented me with this ingot because he thought I could use the lead .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020595.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	123894

You'll notice the Dutch Boy paint boy. I looked up National Lead and found they made lead based Dutch Boy paint.
    http://www.slphistory.org/history/nationallead.asp

Anyway it weighs about 4.5# and will never get melted by me. It sits in a display case we have of assorted things. I think it's kinda cool.

Last edited by RayinNH; 12-07-2014 at 10:15 PM. Reason: spelling, of course
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Moderator Emeritus

That is cool. Thanks for posting it, interesting.

Boolit Master
    Sometimes it pays to be the weirdo.

In Remembrance

I bought the same type ingot about 20 or more years back at a yard sale. I still have it just for the unusual nature of it. Glad to see there are more of them out there.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Ray, you have way more soul than the vandal goth idiots on the pewter thread.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Neck It View Post
    Makes me want to paraphrase Raiders of the Lost Ark. I can picture the scene. . .Confederate snipers melting down heirloom Revolution-era pewter in a last-ditch effort to keep their Whitworths shooting, consoling the poor curator with the following: "You think, sir, that we are merely melting down history" (holds up a still-warm boolit) "These MAKE history".

That is a cool ingot. . .from the days of MANLY paint!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

I would have melted that so fast it would make you head spin. my wife would have that in her hutch for sure along with the other pewter stuff she kypes from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Neck It View Post
    If my wife does not want it then it is most surely must be scrap pewter. Suitable for vandalizing into a shiny puddle. Now the old lino block advertisement, or interesting ingots, even some of the "Bell" telephone stuff I would have to be pretty desperate to melt. When the company went out of business in the 50's I figure the ingot is a piece of history.

Boolit Bub
    Some folks would melt down Ben Franklin's chamber pot!

Boolit Grand Master

Now that's interesting! Didn't know that Ben Franklins chamber pot was a lead alloy. As a potter found that (if it is fact) to be interesting, as most of the period were ceramic. The ceramic chamber pot of the period with king Georges picture on the bottom is highly collectable, and very pricy. They were also called "Thunder Mugs". The ones with Jane Fonda on the bottom not so pricy, but definitely collectable, as are Jane Fonda urinal strainers.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

horseman1 yes yes I will melt down anything I have no soul, I can prove that my wife says that every day when I bring stuff home to melt. I melt silver, gold jewelry, pewter, aluminum and anything else I can get my hands on.

Quote Originally Posted by 30Carbine View Post
    horseman1 yes yes I will melt down anything I have no soul, I can prove that my wife says that every day when I bring stuff home to melt. I melt silver, gold jewelry, pewter, aluminum and anything else I can get my hands on.
    If I ever find myself living in the world of Mad Max then I would melt it all but don't see the point to melting the nicer or more interesting stuff unless I needed it. Of course the way some places price pewter it must have all been personally commissioned by Ben Franklin or Andrew Jackson because they seem to want a picture of him to sell it.

Well if your pot is big enough I'm thinking some folks might want to send their ex your way. Just saying might help pay for all that fuel. Pretty sure that business advertisement does NOT go in the swapping and selling forum however.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 12-15-2014 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Jefferson is wrong pres. for $20 he is $2

RogerDat funny you should mention big enough pot. I am going tomarrow to look at buying a striko shaftmeter type MHII-T 3000/2000 furnace melter.

Boolit Buddy
    i found a ww last week marked Sears
    dennis

Perma-Banned

That is a cool looking piece of lead I would have put on the shelf also.

Boolit Bub
    Oooo. I want the Fonda Chamber Pot! I can think of some other models that would sell as well!

Quote Originally Posted by 30Carbine View Post
    RogerDat funny you should mention big enough pot. I am going tomarrow to look at buying a striko shaftmeter type MHII-T 3000/2000 furnace melter.
    You had to know I was going to Google that puppy didn't you? All I can say is Good Grief! Your wife must be used to not being able to get in the garage (or possibly afraid to go in the pole barn)

http://www.used-melting-furnaces.com...age/2504-1.jpg

I think I now know what happened to Jimmy Hoffa.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    National Lead is nor NL Industries ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NL_Industries
    Regards
    John

This one is a mess but could not resist so made a deal on it. cost me my 35 chevy pickup. my buddy is going to bring it down here for me. it's good to know buddys that have trucking companies. I got a 200 x 120 pole barn it will fit nice in. any way I have almost 22 tons of various lead from my trucking buddy right now and doing 100 pounds at a time sucks. plus all the aluminum scrap from my cnc machines that need put into ingots so I can trade it for more lead from the scrap yard. the wife just rolled her eyes and asked how much is this *** going to cost to get running haha, I have no idea yet, some times it's a burden to have lead in the vains some times it's not..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone 11-15-14 102.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	124621 going to miss here alittle...

777 solder is about 40/60 Sn/Pb
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast