Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Titegroup in 9MM?

Sometimes here, but never there (with apologies to Bud Abbott)

Titegroup in 9MM?

I gather Titegroup is used quite a bit by members here (mostly from threads that start, "Bought Titwad by mistake...") for pistol, although I've never used it before. While I have sufficient Bullseye, Unique, and even some Promo to last for a while, I am running very low on Win 231 (HP38) for my 9MM. How does Titegroup compare to 231? Since Titegroup is readily available here, while 231 and HP38 are so far unobtainium, should I be picking it up, or settle for Bullseye or Promo to tide me over until (if) 231/HP38 start showing up again. I'm sure that eventually they will return, but...
    Saddle

Titegroup works well in 9mm. It loads at about 10% less powder than 231 by weight and gets nearly identical velocities. It burns cleaner than bullseye. It meters easily and accurately in all my measures.
    I get excellent accuracy with it in my 9mm.
    The only thing I don't care for about it is it burns at a higher temperature than other powders. The cases come out of the pistol hotter and the barrel gets hot faster.
    If that detail doesn't bother you, go for it. I like everything else about the powder.

Thanks for the info, Tazman. If I was still shooting competition, the heat issue might be a consideration, but since I only load 9mm for recreational plinking now, I can live with it. At least until 231/HP38 becomes available again. I won't ever give up on 231 as my go to for 9MM.

Of course, one area where this heat issue will still affect my choice in using Titegroup is reduced rifle loads. If Titegroup burns that much hotter than Red Dot or Bullseye, I'll stick to those for my .30-30, .308 and .303Brit.
    Saddle

Tightgroup is my new go-to powder for handguns and am using it as you would Bullseye in rifle rounds. It has been the one fast powder I've been able to find during the shortage and I have found it to be as versatile as Unique just faster. Works pretty well in all the rounds I've tried it in. It is not position sensitive. I use 6-6.5gr in 223 and 22-250 with the Lee 006-22BATOR mould these are 55gr so work well in 12" twist. Ilike it. GP

I like it!

According to the load data in my Lyman and Lee manuals (as well as Hodgdon's website) Titegroup is indeed very versatile, at least in handgun calibers. It may not be the BEST choice, but it's available. With the words of encouragement I have received here, I will have to give it a go when my Win231 runs out. As I said earlier, 231 will continue as my go-to for 9mm, whenever it becomes available again.

As for reduced rifle loads, I still have adequate Bullseye, Unique, and Promo that I won't have to deal with hot burns. As a matter of fact, I received a couple of jars of Winchester AA Lite not long ago that should do very nicely in cat sneeze loads (and not much else, darn it).
    Saddle

That AA lite will work quite well in 9mm under a very light boolit. I am using Titewad which is nearly as fast as AAlite under 95 grain boolits from a Lee mold. Not the most powerful load by any means but it shoots accurately and is very clean. It also works for light loads in 38 special.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    That AA lite will work quite well in 9mm under a very light boolit. I am using Titewad which is nearly as fast as AAlite under 95 grain boolits from a Lee mold. Not the most powerful load by any means but it shoots accurately and is very clean. It also works for light loads in 38 special.
    I tried some AALite in my Hi-Power with the Lee 358-105 and they went from not fully ejecting to over pressure very quickly. Pass for me. I will agree it was clean, just not enough to reliably cycle MY gun. What light .38 loads did you try? I pretty much gave up trying to find load data on AA Lite. Found some for .45ACP, but my tried and true Bullseye load will do. So far for .38's, 3.5gr of Unique behind a Lee 358-140SWC has been very shootable in my Taurus M82 and my Ruger Blackhawk
    Saddle

Target wadcutter speeds. I was loading 2.8 of Titewad under a wadcutter and getting about 750fps.
    I shoot my 38 special in a 357 mag revolver so I am not overly worried about a slightly overpressure 38. I wasn't trying for maximum speed either, just a light recoiling, accurate load.
    Titewad is slightly slower than AAlite. Possibly by enough to matter. That's why I suggested only for light boolits.

I see what you mean about a narrow window for safe loads with AALite. I found a manual from Winchester showing loadings in 9mm for AAsuperlite that only had .3 grain spread from minimum to maximum.

Oh, well; I don't really need to use AALite in my .38's. I have plenty of other, proven powders for that. Even a 5lb jug of Trail Boss. I was saving that for plinkers in my .44 and trying it in .30-30.
    Saddle

Boolit Master
    For 9mm Titegroup just about does it all, and with less powder. That is the reason so many competitive shooters use it. For the longest time it was all I would ever use in 9mm. Of lately, because of shortages, I have been experimenting with slower powders. I have to say in my case that I REALLY like HS-6 and Power Pistol for a accurate and easy recoiling load. Just my opinion...and I will still use Titegroup.
    If you are shooting other calibers, the slower powders may be a bit more versatile and cover a broader range ?
    My opinion used to be that faster powders were better, but not so much any more.
    Last edited by Blanco; 12-08-2014 at 08:01 AM.
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Master

Tightgroup powder has been my go to powder for many years replacing Bullseye .
    for most pistol cartradges under 1,100 fps , but for the 9mm and 38 super i have allways gotten the absulate best accuracy with med burning speed powders like WSF, WAP, HS6, currently my favorite is Powerpistol for the 9mm/38 super.

Boolit Buddy
    Our family has loaded handguns with Titegroup for close to 20 years. We don't shoot competition, though we do expect to hit what we aim at--even small objects. It is an accurate powder for us. ==.32-20, .32 H&R .380, 9mm, .38 Special, .357 mag, .38-40, 10mm, .44mag, .45 ACP.

I've read that some reloaders steer clear of it because it does not fill a case enough to suit them--a double charge may go unnoticed.

As others have stated in the posts above, it does meter well and, as the container says, "A little goes a long way."

When it is available at my local Bi-Mart, it's only $16.50 a pound. That's my favorite thing about it!!!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Bub
    Good stuff. Be careful not to double charge. Small charge weights with TG