Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual pane windows, can they be vented?

Boolit Buddy
    If they are not under warranty, dont mess with it until you can buy some new ones.

What if are drilling you break both panes?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I like the idea of replacing the damp air between the panes with something dry, like CO2. Not sure how to go about doing that.
    I'd be real cautious about putting a pressurized gas between the panes, too much pressure too soon and kapow!

I'd just live with it until you can afford to replace them. I'm all for DIY repairs, but some things just need to be done in a factory with proper equipment, I'd put sealed dual pain windows in that department.

Also having replaced original wood pained windows with vinyl, we found the new windows much less drafty and in time they'll pay for themselves in savings in the heating bill. Make sure you squirt foam insulation around the window frame opening when you've finished mounting the new window.

If you use spray/squirt foam around the window frame, make sure it is the NON-expanding type otherwise you'll probably never be able to open those windows again. I've seen it too many times from people who don't know the difference.
    "As democracy is perfected, the office of the Presidency represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." H.L. Mencken Baltimore Evening Sun, 26 July 1920

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the Public with the Public's money". Alexis de Tocqueville 1835

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    If you use spray/squirt foam around the window frame, make sure it is the NON-expanding type otherwise you'll probably never be able to open those windows again. I've seen it too many times from people who don't know the difference.
    Yep, I come from a background in insulation, and now specialize in windows and doors.

The junk you can buy at the hardware store is just that, JUNK!
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

How old are they and what brand. You can replace just the sashes if they are somewhat new. If they're double hung it's a five minute job at most.

Banned

Install drapes until you can replace the windows.

Gear

Boolit Master
    + on this. I have some Andersen windows in my house, that were installed by the previous owner. One of them started fogging up, and I contacted Andersen. they sent me a brand new sash at no cost to me. All I had to do was install it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
    Somewhere on the inside of the window, (unless it's been removed), there should be an AAMA sticker (silver or gold).

It will have a code for the window manufacturer, which you can look up.

Sometimes the window manufacturers will do a one-time warranty service, even if the windows are out of warranty.

Doesn't hurt to check.

Moderator Emeritus

Friend used the high expanding foam around a door he replaced. He told me he had used it before and it worked just fine with no issues. Yeah right, door wouldn't open because it bowed the frame into the door. he had to cut and scrape out all that old foam, put in new screws and patch the holes where the first ones had sunk in to far from the foam pressure...

Boolit Master
    No tags. They're vinyl. I'll poke around and see how easy it is to get inside them this weekend. Someone asked about the drills. I have some 2mm diamond bits from some artsy stuff I used to do. I know for a fact they will drill glass without breaking it.
    Replacement is definitely the best option but it won't happen before spring
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

I had the same problem as the OP several years back. Mine were built in such a way that when one got bad enough eventually I pulled it apart, separated the glass, cleaned totally inside and out. But the problem is once that seal goes there simply is no way to keep condensation from building up inside.

Best I could do was swap a couple from area's we don't use to the high traffic area's.

Eventually I was able to get a zero interest, zero payment loan from the city I live in that goes away after 10 years.

Essentially designed to bring older houses up to current code, and keep seniors living in their houses longer.

Windows all got replaced 1.5 years back, new doors, new steps, and a totally rebuilt bathroom with a walk in shower instead of tub.
    It is truly flat, and incredibly solid, plus came with grab bars etc. I had to do a minor bit of replumbing afterwards. I had my old shower rigged with 2 shower heads and a valve to control the second. What can I say? I scrub her back and she scrubs mine!

All in all 22k of work (including some lead abatement)

Best part is the new windows came with lifetime replacement Guarantee on the glass.

One way or another, find a way to replace those windows. Cut our fuel bill in half having new energy efficient windows all around.

Boolit Master

Have you check the sides of the sash for a manufacturers mark? If the frames are in good shape you might get new sashes and be done with a small headache.

Boolit Master
    The weather has been crappy, or I would have got down to business with them this week. Since they're eventually going to be replaced anyway, I decided a little careful tinkering would be interesting.

Boolit Master

Cool go for it.

Boolit Master

Be careful for sure.

I am an Installation Master ( a certification, not just what I call myself ), and still break glass and cut myself from time to time...
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

If you can remove the pane from the sash you can fix them.

Don't drill the glass the risk vs reward is poor.

With the pane out you can simply cut the old sealant off seperate the pains and clean everything. You can use windshield urethane sealant around the edge. Most auto parts stores sell a low grade of it. If there are any auto glass shops near you they'd sell you a tube, but make sure you get a kind that doesn't require heat. That stuff don't wash of easily. Problem is most vinyl windows are welded together. You may have to cut the sash at 2 corners to slide the pane out. You could hollow out those 2 corners to fit a small wood block in so you can screw the sash back together.

I worked with glass for years and wouldn't see any reason to drill it. It might work without breaking the glass and that's a big maybe. It's unlikely 1 little hole is going to let all the humidity out. If you did get a bunch of holes it might could work but even then you can't clean between the panes and the resulting dry grunge is an ugly sight too. In addition it will let in more cold air.

Before I would drill it I would simply break the inside pane of glass out. Using pliers around the outside edge to make sure the sharp edges are gone. At least you could clean it and it wouldn't re-fog.
    Last edited by freebullet; 12-12-2014 at 01:24 AM.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Master

I've yet to see a vinyl window that you had to hack apart to get the glass out.

Generally there will be vinyl strips on either the inside or the outside.

On the opposite side, the glass unit will be either wet set (silicone) or hopefully a foam tape. Use a putty knife to cut the seal, and then remove the plastic strips. Glass will be easily removed.

One thing, though...

If the glass has a LowE coating, it doesn't matter what you try to do to fix it, the coating will turn into a purple haze due to the moisture.

There is a dessicant in the spacer between the panes to keep this from happening, but it really only helps to dry the air that was sealed in at the factory.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the info. I'm not expecting a permanent fix, just a way to temporarily clear them. These don't have divided panes, so it's not as if I can just take out one piece.

Boolit Master
    Instead of drilling the glass, drill the aluminum spreader between the panes. Drill it big enough you can pour some desicant into the space between the panes and seal with some caulk. Maybe it will buy you some time. It might take 2 or 3 times to remove the moisture. When the desicant turns pink, it's time to reapply. Maybe drill near the corner so draining it is easier. A new coat of butyl caulk around the edge may help too.

Boolit Buddy

I have experience in this:
    What we have done for the management companies:
    Remove the insulated unit from the sash.
    Seal around the unit real good. Don't remember what caulk we used, but it's in the window isle at home depot. Dried pretty quick too.
    Drilled two holes in the aluminum between the 2 windows
    Run warm, dry air through one of the holes (removing any moisture)
    run argon through the hole. If you drill the two holes on top, argon will fill the window (argon is heavier than air)
    seal.
    Come and take them, Boolits first.
    Zombie hunter, Lic# 3006

Boolit Master
    Well, I did it. The missus couldn't stand the way they looked and the weather was still too cold to take them apart so I went with the simplest fix first: drilled a 2mm hole at the bottom left corner and another at the top right corner on the inside pane about a month ago. I ran the drill in a Dremel at low speed, gently, dipping the bit into an ice cube occasionally to cool it.
    At first it made no difference. Last week when the weather warmed up the windows cleared. The holes are almost invisible.
    One of these days they will be replaced but for now I'm satisfied. In the summer when the humidity is 90% and it rains cats and dogs, maybe they'll fog up again... In the meantime I can push that item to the bottom of the HoneyDo list.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12